Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Since ECNL games don't start until later, why aren't the Oregon 2003 ECNL teams (made up of 7th & 8th graders) playing in Oysa for fall?
    Because it wouldn't provide any developmental challenge. It's no different than last year when the U14 ECNL teams only played NWCL in fall and trained 4 times per week.

Comment

I agree. That would be fantastic. My DD's team is going to miss playing against that group of girls. There were several great rivalries with teams that were gutted by the ECNL move.
      Which teams were gutted?

Comment

I agree. That would be fantastic. My DD's team is going to miss playing against that group of girls. There were several great rivalries with teams that were gutted by the ECNL move.
        If you wanted to play with them, you should have moved your DD to ECNL.

Comment

Because it wouldn't provide any developmental challenge. It's no different than last year when the U14 ECNL teams only played NWCL in fall and trained 4 times per week.
          It is difficult to play against teams that you "should" beat. That pressure alone seems like it would provide a "developmental challenge". I believe the players would embrace it, as for the adults, not so much.

Comment

If you wanted to play with them, you should have moved your DD to ECNL.
            Too early. Not worth the expense at 12 years old - at least not to me. There are great development opportunities out there that don't cost $10K+ a year (for now).. I'm choking on what we are currently paying a year already. I would love to be able to retire someday... Our family income is above the level that would get financial assistance but below the level where $10k a year is acceptable.

Comment

Which teams were gutted?
              THUSC Selenium (1 and 2) are probably the best examples. There are a few more clubs that had great teams where the top players headed to ECNL or elsewhere. It's just unfortunate that all the teams can't play in one local league in the fall. ECNL could square off against the upcoming DA teams and any other top performing teams. It could be something special if done right.

Comment

Which teams were gutted?
                FC Portland ECNL got the worst of it.

Comment

THUSC Selenium (1 and 2) are probably the best examples. There are a few more clubs that had great teams where the top players headed to ECNL or elsewhere. It's just unfortunate that all the teams can't play in one local league in the fall. ECNL could square off against the upcoming DA teams and any other top performing teams. It could be something special if done right.
                  NWCL could easily serve that purpose.

Comment

FC Portland ECNL got the worst of it.
                    ECNL league is less than $1,000 per month. Why is that a problem? It's a darn car payment for goodness sakes.

Comment

NWCL could easily serve that purpose.
                      It could but the last time my DD played in the NWCL it was a joke. Major changes need to happen for that to have value. and too few games in NWCL.

Comment

It could but the last time my DD played in the NWCL it was a joke. Major changes need to happen for that to have value. and too few games in NWCL.
                        At this age, isn't NWCL already doing the trick? Both Oregon ECNL teams, HSC, and WS-ST are doing NWCL. Aren't those the top teams in Oregon at this age?

Comment

ECNL league is less than $1,000 per month. Why is that a problem? It's a darn car payment for goodness sakes.

I'm hope you are saying that tongue and cheek :). $1000 a month for 12 years old kids to play soccer is too much in my world. Especially when you consider that many of the 12 years old playing in the ECNL, DA or any other group will quit soccer before they are seniors in high school. So much money and so much pressure on 12 year old kids.. I just can't justify that level of expense. I could save that money and fund a huge chunk of a D1 education - if not all of it.
                          Here is the math.. Say $9600 a year - $800 a month starting at 12 years old, graduating at 18... That's $57,600 in soccer expenses over that time..
                          To make that worthwhile, my dd would have to get a full ride scholarship - which so very few do. Most get small, partial scholarships that never make up for the expense we are discussing here.. I would need to make a lot more money to be able to spend that much.

If money were not part of the equation, I might consider it. But even then it's a lot of pressure on 12 year old kids..

Comment

At this age, isn't NWCL already doing the trick? Both Oregon ECNL teams, HSC, and WS-ST are doing NWCL. Aren't those the top teams in Oregon at this age?
                            After last years debacle, we skipped it. Maybe someone who's DD that played in it this year can answer that?

Comment

After last years debacle, we skipped it. Maybe someone who's DD that played in it this year can answer that?
                              Guess what I am asking is what really strong Oregon 03 teams aren't doing NWCL this year? HSC appears to be the dominate Timbers' league team, WS-ST has historically been very good, and you have both ECNL teams.

Comment

Slightly different take - don't want to send 1 single unnecessary $ to the Timbers if it can be helped. There are good teams in the OYSA league and look forward to playing them in other venues, but in an ideal world our entire club was outside the Timbers league and glad our 03 girls are.
                                Exactly true. I personally would not pay one red cent to the scam artists running OYSA, ODP, and the Timbers/Thorns "academy" programs. They are the masters of bait and switch, and their main goal is to create a soccer monopoly in Oregon, take away choices, and drive up prices for an inferior product. Look at what they did to ODP? There are still a few random good teams in OYSA, and we might play them in a tournament, I suppose, but I am not willing to spend any money supporting the OYSA organization or anyone in management of said organization.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X