Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Nebraska win looks good. Nothing else is impressive. However that's so much better than previous years. Not a lot of WNT, from either th US or other countries, on the roster, or coming up. Compared to other PAC 12 programs, they are well behind. Kat better hope for miracles.
    Believe they have a YWNT member coming in 2018.

Comment

Believe they have a YWNT member coming in 2018.
      They also have one coming 2017.

Comment

I'm talking WNT member, not going to the camp. You sure they are members? Name the team is so.

Comment

I'm talking WNT member, not going to the camp. You sure they are members? Name the team is so.
          That might of been what you meant however, that does not change that any kid that has gotten called to multiple US national training camps (not training centers) can play soccer and will be a good addition to Oregon.

Comment

PAC 12 Coaches Poll Season

We don't live in the USA - so don't laugh at my questions. I'm looking at this forum because I am trying to learn more about some of the universities that my daughter is interested in and would love to play soccer at and a few of them seem to be at the bottom of the PAC-12 ladder.

How was this ranking done? Who did the poll?
            Is there any risk of bottom teams being relegated to another conference?
            Do bottom teams often stay bottom teams and nobody wants to play there because the university doesn't care about improving the program?

Comment

We don't live in the USA - so don't laugh at my questions. I'm looking at this forum because I am trying to learn more about some of the universities that my daughter is interested in and would love to play soccer at and a few of them seem to be at the bottom of the PAC-12 ladder.

Do bottom teams often stay bottom teams and nobody wants to play there because the university doesn't care about improving the program?
              People will attack you, don't take it personally.

The poll was done by the coaches in the cinference. The Schools in the PAC12 have all their sports combined in the conference, not just soccer, so the performance of the women's soccer team will not effect what conference they are in. Typically this is based on football and Men's basketball. Instead, if a team continues to not do well it usually will mean a coaching change. While there will be those that bash some of the teams in the conference, getting a spot from any of the PAC12 schools is a huge accomplishment and if the school has what your daughter wants to study, ignore all the haters on this forum and she would be fine at any of them. She would be able to enjoy top facilities, a lot of academic support and a quality education as well as good solid competition. Many times international players that break into the PAC12 or other major conferences (ACC, SEC, Big10, Big12), are national team players for their own country, my guess is that is how they are known about. Getting her seen by the coaches since she is not in the US is going to be the toughest part, cannot help you there. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Comment

Teams move up and down in rankings year over year. No better example than UCLA who finished as national champions two years ago and was more middle of the pack in the conference last year. Some programs are perennially toward the top, some more toward the bottom, but year over year, the conference generally puts about 7-8 teams into the tournament. But it's difficult to get an offer from a school as they have nearly every girl in the US interested in playing for the conference schools. Along with a number of international players.

Comment

That might of been what you meant however, that does not change that any kid that has gotten called to multiple US national training camps (not training centers) can play soccer and will be a good addition to Oregon.
                  Getting called to the camp is prestigious, but actually making the team is another story. Oregon doesn't have those quality of players. A number of teams in the conference have many players with experience on various age group US WNTs as well as from other countries. Stanford and UCLA are loaded with them. USC has a number. But so do many other teams such as Cal, Washington, Colorado and I think the Arizona teams have a few with experience.

Comment

PAC 12 Coaches Poll 2016

Thanks for the info.

She's in this country's elite system - quality training/development, National Youth Championships, etc - but she has American citizenship so she may never make the national team here. So, she may never be considered for a PAC 12 team.

I won't let the negativity scare us off. Although the cost of attending ID camps, etc may!

Comment

Has pac12 women's soccer slipped a bit?

Our Oregon schools are off to a good start in non-conference play, but wondering about the conference as a whole.

2-3 years ago pac12 seemed to be the best women's conference in the country. However last year, noone made semis, only 1 in great 8 (admittidly 3 made it to sweet 16, good but not dominating).

This year 3 in top 25. Again not bad, but really not dominating.

Realize these things go in waves, but curious what others seeing.

Comment

Our Oregon schools are off to a good start in non-conference play, but wondering about the conference as a whole.

2-3 years ago pac12 seemed to be the best women's conference in the country. However last year, noone made semis, only 1 in great 8 (admittidly 3 made it to sweet 16, good but not dominating).

This year 3 in top 25. Again not bad, but really not dominating.

Realize these things go in waves, but curious what others seeing.
                        Here is some analytical discussion as to how the Pac 12 stacks up. I think you will find it's as strong this year, at least according to this person's simulation, as in year's past. FYI, he lives in Portland, and for his own good, I believe he avoids TS. Take it for what it's worth, it's just a simulation that he does, so it's not perfect, however it provides interesting discussion points.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/...#post-34554254

http://rpiford1wsoccer.************/

Comment

Here is some analytical discussion as to how the Pac 12 stacks up. I think you will find it's as strong this year, at least according to this person's simulation, as in year's past. FYI, he lives in Portland, and for his own good, I believe he avoids TS. Take it for what it's worth, it's just a simulation that he does, so it's not perfect, however it provides interesting discussion points.

http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/...#post-34554254

http://rpiford1wsoccer.************/
                          Thank you for that! If I read correctly, he uses a trailing 2-yrs for conference difficulty, so 2014 performance (a good one for pac12 and a bad one for ACC) is impacting the 2016 of conferencerating: is that correct? I think there is also an "average" dynamic at play in that methodology - there is some discussion there about weaker teams weighing down the 14 team ACC (of course, weaker teams weigh down pac 12, but 2 strongest ACC teams mean less than 2 strongest pac12 teams do in that methodology).

Maybe I should have been more precise - the top of the pac12 hasn't appeared as dominating since 2014, as they did 2014 and before (of course if Stanford wins in overtime last year instead of losing in great8, maybe a different result). So far this year though, the conference looks deeper.

Comment

Thank you for that! If I read correctly, he uses a trailing 2-yrs for conference difficulty, so 2014 performance (a good one for pac12 and a bad one for ACC) is impacting the 2016 of conferencerating: is that correct? I think there is also an "average" dynamic at play in that methodology - there is some discussion there about weaker teams weighing down the 14 team ACC (of course, weaker teams weigh down pac 12, but 2 strongest ACC teams mean less than 2 strongest pac12 teams do in that methodology).

Maybe I should have been more precise - the top of the pac12 hasn't appeared as dominating since 2014, as they did 2014 and before (of course if Stanford wins in overtime last year instead of losing in great8, maybe a different result). So far this year though, the conference looks deeper.
                            I can't answer your questions as I haven't really read into it and even if I did, I might not completely understand it. However, I suspect your thoughts on how it works are probably pretty close.

Right now, Stanford is #1 and is the preseason favorite to win the title. So the top of the top of the Pac 12 is very strong. After that, there probably is some drop off relative to the ACC. USC was expected to be strong and they got off to a shaky start. WSU is predicted to be good but they have had some losses. Losing to BYU isn't bad, but to tie Colorado State is a bit surprising. UCLA is better than last year, but like USC has had some losses early to teams they were expected to beat. The conference is always a blood bath. So many games are one goal games and that deciding goal can come off a defensive mistake or a set play or just a fluke. The top of the conference is usually very strong, the bottom is fairly weak, and the middle 6-7 teams are all almost even with the standing being decided by who can win more of those one goal games.

Stanford will probably win a number of games by two goals, especially at Stanford where the refereeing is notorious for being biased to Stanford. Oregon messes everyone up by being the only field that is turf. Colorado has a strong home field advantage as they draw pretty big crowds and the field is over 5400 feet about sea level. Only Utah can visit them and not be gassed. So schedules and other misc factors may play a role in the order of the conference.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X