Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I mostly agree with some exceptions - there may be certain things a player needs/wants to work on that can't always be self taught. It really depends on they want to get out of it. GKs are the other very important exception as club GK training is often lacking and the position is highly specialized.

I say "they" as in the player - the player has to want the extra training. They shouldn't be doing it because the parent thinks they should. If your kid doesn't have the drive inside of them to improve, no training in the world will change that. A kid who is driven will seek out videos and go out in the yard and practice until dark, or text some friends to try and meet and play. All kids will improve with training/practice, but those are the kids that will improve MORE
    Oh I think there is a place for private trainers. And I know of a couple that are very good (expensive, but good). But for general foot skills, long balls, trapping, .... we have found we don't need a private trainer for that. At U11, my dd needed some confidence and was far behind skills wise. However, the coaches liked her potential. So we went to a trainer for basic cone work and trapping (i never played soccer so I had no idea what to teach her). It worked wonders for her skills and confidence. However, after about a year of going there off an on, and we took our son there too, we didn't need to go. Now, both of them run themselves through those same cone drills when working on their own. They also do the Pele drill. A nice easy drill that is great for skills. If you watch EPL practices, you see them tossing each other balls for volley practice. So basic, but clearly these teams see the benefit in it for professional players. It's funny, if my dd can't find someone else to work with, she asks me to help and just tells me what to do. And gives me scorn when I do it wrong. LOL. "Dad, toss it here, so I can work on my volleys, or traps or, ...." "Come on dad, throw it better than that." LOL But hey, she's playing in college and knows what she wants. Pretty funny, U11, hopeless, today, playing major college soccer. Who knew?

Comment

Agreed - the kids that want to get better find a way without falling for the scam. Rich kids paying more doesn't make good players.
      I know of some kids who have parents who send them to all sorts of camps and pay for a lot of training. It's maximizing the output of those kids, but it isn't making those kids into top players because those kids have a low ceiling. I hate to say it, but they do. No amount of training, camps, .... is going to make them into top players. Genetics were not on their side. Larry Bird was not a great athlete, at least compared to other basketball players, but he was 6'9" tall. You can't coach that. Wayne Gretzky wasn't a great physical specimen, but he had a sixth sense about being in the right place at the right time. You can't coach that. Sure, some players who aren't top athletes can still make their mark, but it's rare. I'm lucky, my kids work on their own. They love it. I just have to drive them to the field, drop them off and then pick them up later. They take the cones, the balls, and whatever else and do their own training. Actually, I'm not sure they would get that much more out of camps or private training. If you want to YouTube some great skills work, search Ferdie Soccer Magic. My son did a short camp with him. Now that was money well spent.

Comment

Previous tread mentions there is more value in hiring private trainer over RTC/ODP. However, I have not had much success with finding trainers online or through club coach recommendations.

Any suggestions for private trainers?
        I just remembered while responding to another poster. Look up Ferdie Soccer Magic. Google or YouTube his drills. And if you can afford it, go fly to one of his camps. He is very, very good.

Comment

I just remembered while responding to another poster. Look up Ferdie Soccer Magic. Google or YouTube his drills. And if you can afford it, go fly to one of his camps. He is very, very good.
          Or you can go to upper 90 and get ripped off. Took my son to the new facility and was an absolute waste of money. Spending the money to go through a set of skills on a TV screen is something I can do in my garage with my kids for free or on the new smart TV and link it up to YouTube and do it in our living room.

Comment

Or you can go to upper 90 and get ripped off. Took my son to the new facility and was an absolute waste of money. Spending the money to go through a set of skills on a TV screen is something I can do in my garage with my kids for free or on the new smart TV and link it up to YouTube and do it in our living room.
            And another consumer realizes that Jim Brazzo is a complete fraud.

Comment

I don't think that was the point. But might I ask why?
              Conflict of interest. Who's going to make the first team, a better player without private coaching or a player who the coach wants to keep the parents happy and paying?

Comment

Conflict of interest. Who's going to make the first team, a better player without private coaching or a player who the coach wants to keep the parents happy and paying?
                I guess that could be a conflict but so would a lot of other things. Boardmembers and team manager's kids could be considered a conflict. Nearly every team seems to have those.
                You would hope the welfare of the team is placed above all else.

Comment

I guess that could be a conflict but so would a lot of other things. Boardmembers and team manager's kids could be considered a conflict. Nearly every team seems to have those.
                  You would hope the welfare of the team is placed above all else.
                  Any respectable club has a policy in place that coaches can't charge for private training for the kids on their teams.

Comment

Any respectable club has a policy in place that coaches can't charge for private training for the kids on their teams.
                    Yet plenty of coaches do it, even if it's against club policy. If your kids' coach ever suggests they train with him/her, don't do it. First, do you want to train with a coach who is willing to go against club policy? Second, it's good for kids to have different coaches in order to learn new things. Last, no matter how good a trainer they may and they might show zero favoritism, the perception will always be there that he/she is favoring your kid.

Comment

Yet plenty of coaches do it, even if it's against club policy. If your kids' coach ever suggests they train with him/her, don't do it. First, do you want to train with a coach who is willing to go against club policy? Second, it's good for kids to have different coaches in order to learn new things. Last, no matter how good a trainer they may and they might show zero favoritism, the perception will always be there that he/she is favoring your kid.
                      Go to upper 90 they will turn your into a world class super star.

Comment

Go to upper 90 they will turn your into a world class super star.
                        Or go to ADF where they will have you do amazing skills past fresh air! They will then convince the player to join the club and then parents will just follow the flow like a dead fish.

Comment

Or go to ADF where they will have you do amazing skills past fresh air! They will then convince the player to join the club and then parents will just follow the flow like a dead fish.
                          Or you can go to WUSC and be coached a bunch of hacks who think that playing at pacific is an actual accomplishment.

Comment

contemporary art joke

in the art world there's a joke/cliche that goes:

"I could have done that!"
                            "Yeah. but you didn't."

(and then there's an implied "dumbass")

Comment

Hands down Joaquim Capuia at Academia de Futbol. No need for private do his small group classes at MJCC. He will not recruit your player. He trains hundreds of kids that all play for other clubs.

Comment

Portland 1 to 1

My daughter plays at fc portland and had sessions in lake Oswego with a couple of coaches after quarantine. It was nice to be able to pick a time online. Dave and christo are great and they have everything so it felt worth the money

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X