Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2016 College Season

Tough weekend for OSU and U of O women, but still a good start to the season (as of 9.26):

DIVISION 1
    UP W 6-2-2
    Duck W 6-3-1
    OSU W 5-3-2
    PSU W 2-8-0

UP M 6-3-1
    OSU M 4-3-1

DIVISION 2
    Concordia W 7-0-1
    Concordia M 3-1-2

Division 3
    Men: http://www.nwcsports.com/sports/msoc/2016-17/standings
    Women's:http://www.nwcsports.com/sports/wsoc/2016-17/standings

Oregon sinking fast. Another losing season and Mertz is gone. She played a weak non conference schedule to proper her record but now reality has set in. She will lose the rest of her games.

Portland is doing well. The need to finish over .500 to save Smith form the hot seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Oregon sinking fast. Another losing season and Mertz is gone. She played a weak non conference schedule to proper her record but now reality has set in. She will lose the rest of her games.

Portland is doing well. The need to finish over .500 to save Smith form the hot seat.
      You can't really knock UO's schedule and give props to Portland when not only did Oregon schedule UP, but they have a few crossover opponents. However, I do agree that UO is sinking fast. Sure, they played Stanford, USC and UCLA to start conference play, which isn't an easy task. However, it's not like the schedule gets a whole lot easier. I think she needs a 8th or better finish in the Pac 12 and I'm not sure it is going to happen. Of course, I am not sure Oregon State is going to finish much higher. Linus is safer as the bar is so much lower at Oregon State and he did have some decent results years back. However, if he puts up a stinker this year and next year, not sure Oregon State won't be looking for another coach.

Comment

You can't really knock UO's schedule and give props to Portland when not only did Oregon schedule UP, but they have a few crossover opponents. However, I do agree that UO is sinking fast. Sure, they played Stanford, USC and UCLA to start conference play, which isn't an easy task. However, it's not like the schedule gets a whole lot easier. I think she needs a 8th or better finish in the Pac 12 and I'm not sure it is going to happen. Of course, I am not sure Oregon State is going to finish much higher. Linus is safer as the bar is so much lower at Oregon State and he did have some decent results years back. However, if he puts up a stinker this year and next year, not sure Oregon State won't be looking for another coach.
        Yet Oregon is #32 in the RPI and Portland is #75. The rankings take into account strength of schedule. These numbers are as of 10/3/16.

Comment

Yet Oregon is #32 in the RPI and Portland is #75. The rankings take into account strength of schedule. These numbers are as of 10/3/16.
          So you are confirming my post. Thanks. And I am by no means, an Oregon supporter. However, you have to call a spade a spade. Again, I think that Oregon sinks in Pac 12 play which will sink Kat. And if you look at the playing time, she isn't giving her frosh much time, if any, so she is clearly playing to win now. I would not want to be an incoming frosh next year.

Comment

So you are confirming my post. Thanks. And I am by no means, an Oregon supporter. However, you have to call a spade a spade. Again, I think that Oregon sinks in Pac 12 play which will sink Kat. And if you look at the playing time, she isn't giving her frosh much time, if any, so she is clearly playing to win now. I would not want to be an incoming frosh next year.
            Hmmm, well I am an Oregon supporter and none of my kids are going there. Not for soccer or without. But that is not the point. Living in Oregon, I hope they do well, and especially for the local kids that will be going there. Why wouldn't you be an Oregon supporter, that seems strange to me. Then it means you want them to fail, which is the tone of your post. I think they will do fine when they play the bottom half of the PAC12, I see them ending in the middle range of the PAC12, even 8th would be a huge improvement and show that the program is turning around.

Comment

Arizona, Washington, Washington State, and Oregon State also have lost 3 in PAC12 play. And ASU has 2 losses and a tie. All of those teams will be battling each other for those 7th, 8th, 9th, etc. And Colorado and Utah are beatable. Oregon is capable of placing in 8th, as you state they need to. There are a lot of games to play, and yes, they already played some of the toughest in the conference. The question is can they have a winning mentality after 3 conference losses. But that is true of all the teams mentioned above.

Comment

Arizona, Washington, Washington State, and Oregon State also have lost 3 in PAC12 play. And ASU has 2 losses and a tie. All of those teams will be battling each other for those 7th, 8th, 9th, etc. And Colorado and Utah are beatable. Oregon is capable of placing in 8th, as you state they need to. There are a lot of games to play, and yes, they already played some of the toughest in the conference. The question is can they have a winning mentality after 3 conference losses. But that is true of all the teams mentioned above.
                Lauren Hansen at SJSU is having another great season. She could replace smith, mertz or linus. Just saying.

Comment

UO coach should get a couple more years to prove. They are improving.

Comment

Portland is doing well?

Comment

Portland is doing well?
                      Only two losses, both by 1 goal, to Pac 12 schools.

Comment

Agree. A coach needs a few more years and things are definitely on the upswing.

Comment

Last year they were doing good until PAC 12 play. Then it all went to slop.

Comment

Only two losses, both by 1 goal, to Pac 12 schools.
                            Look again

Comment

Agree. A coach needs a few more years and things are definitely on the upswing.
                              Really? She basically right where the program was when they hired her. Every year she has a decent pre season and then in conference she looses the majority of the games.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X