Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I took my daughter to AR for a U12B game recently where the "No header" rule was in effect. It was ridiculous. What the previous poster hit the nail on the head. Those boys were either swinging legs up high, or ducking at the last minute because if the ball even grazed their head, it would be an automatic turn-over.

The problem is, the longer players wait to do headers, and the older kids get, the harder and faster the balls will come. The only concussions I have seen in soccer have been from kids falling or colliding with one another - not from a header.
    I know of two young ladies who had career ending concussions before U13. They went in and headed the ball incorrectly. Not scientific but was experienced.

Comment

I know of two young ladies who had career ending concussions before U13. They went in and headed the ball incorrectly. Not scientific but was experienced.
      Proper training would have avoided that.

Comment

So, I got to referee during a U12 Gold Boys match during the Mt. Hood challenge and had to call back 12 headers, 2 of which were great goals. This was a match between two decent hispanic clubs and players were so used to heading at that age, that they would do little flicks and kock-ons naturally. Not a single one of them was a dangerous touch, because they were heading the ball off of throw-ins and flicks, chips, or crosses rather then taking a punt down out of the air with their head.

Perhaps we should ban punting the ball instead? These boys used their head creatively and I had to take it away as a referee even though there was no more danger in it then comes with the nature of playing the game.

Also, throughout the weekend, I saw lots of awkward plays involving the rule as players would duck out of the way and others would go up high with their foot to win ball instead.

Let's just say, I'm not a fan.

Comment

DSGO-heading?

It appears that heading will be treated like a minor technical infraction--meriting an IFK, rather than borderline cheating like handball (which even if unintentional, results in a DFK or PK).

I am assuming, then, that deliberate headed clearances in the box, even if stopping an on-target shot, won't result in a caution or sending-off? Has this application of the no-heading rule been considered by the various associations in charge?

Should I tell my SS who is a U12 centerback, and who is quite skilled at heading the ball, to go ahead if it will save a goal, or would such behavior likely earn him a red card?

Comment

It appears that heading will be treated like a minor technical infraction--meriting an IFK, rather than borderline cheating like handball (which even if unintentional, results in a DFK or PK).

I am assuming, then, that deliberate headed clearances in the box, even if stopping an on-target shot, won't result in a caution or sending-off? Has this application of the no-heading rule been considered by the various associations in charge?

Should I tell my SS who is a U12 centerback, and who is quite skilled at heading the ball, to go ahead if it will save a goal, or would such behavior likely earn him a red card?
            Yes, it would only result in a IFK from wherever he headed it. If he kept doing it deliberately, the referee could give him a yellow for persistent infringement, but that would be very unlikely at that age. I would say it's a good tactic if it saves a goal :)

Comment

Proper training would have avoided that.
              Lack of training is a big issue - few coaches know how to do it well. But it is also proven that kids muscular/skeletal development is very immature until 14+, especially girls.

Comment

Perhaps we should ban punting the ball instead? These boys used their head creatively and I had to take it away as a referee even though there was no more danger in it then comes with the nature of playing the game.

Also, throughout the weekend, I saw lots of awkward plays involving the rule as players would duck out of the way and others would go up high with their foot to win ball instead.
                So much this. Punting is a stupid tactic and is what leads to dangerous headers and head-to-head collisions more than anything else. The high kicks could cause as much or more than a header would. Hopefully you called fouls on the high boots

Comment

So much this. Punting is a stupid tactic and is what leads to dangerous headers and head-to-head collisions more than anything else. The high kicks could cause as much or more than a header would. Hopefully you called fouls on the high boots
                  Of course! ... though only when I considered them to be dangerous. If another player isn't challenging for the ball, then it's not :)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X