Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The bottom line is any sport where you need to pay 2 to 3k to get training at 8 years old is doomed to fail. If anyone thinks limiting the pool to rich suburb kids is the way to get better you are out of your mind. The whole soccer system in the us is a disaster.
    I guess baseball, hockey, and lacrosse should be seeing their own demise very soon then.

Comment

I guess baseball, hockey, and lacrosse should be seeing their own demise very soon then.
      Participation in youth sports is in decline across the board. Some sports are suffering more than others (not surprisingly football is declining the fastest).

https://www.aspenprojectplay.org/kid...ipation-rates/

Comment

Baseball no doubt, decline is worse than most sports. What a boring sport to play and watch.

Comment

Baseball no doubt, decline is worse than most sports. What a boring sport to play and watch.
          I was so happy when mine quit baseball for other sports

Comment

I was so happy when mine quit baseball for other sports
            Agree! It’s actually even worse than watching girls lacrosse.

Comment

Soccer participation in our youth as a country is on a steady decline since th age change. I believe I read an estimated 20%. Way to go US soccer!
              Yeah, I'm really missing those kids with no touch would couldn't dribble and who couldn't compete with other kids their own age. The sport is in a real downslide because they left.

Comment

Agree! It’s actually even worse than watching girls lacrosse.
                No. Field Hockey. I'd rather stick a fork in my eye

Comment

The bottom line is any sport where you need to pay 2 to 3k to get training at 8 years old is doomed to fail. If anyone thinks limiting the pool to rich suburb kids is the way to get better you are out of your mind. The whole soccer system in the us is a disaster.
                  You are combining several issues, lets look at them individually.

You don't need to pay 2 to 3K to get training The majority of children in America are not. It is actually a small percentage of children that are in that segment of the market.

The sport is not limited to " rich suburb kids" . The scholastic model is alive and well , and will continue to be alive and well as long as their is funding by the schools.

" get better "

The average parents, the average children aren't interested in the national team, a college scholarship or anything of the sort. They are interested in what it is doing for their child. There may be churn, children in and out of soccer, and other sports. It is a vehicle for many, not a defined entity as some parents project.

The " soccer system " you speak of is the private sector, and it has always been subject to ups and downs, and societal trends throughout the brief history of youth sports. Indeed the CIAC was formed in the State to regulate the amount of private interference in scholastic sports, among other reasons . The Private Schools and Clubs and Organizations were left free to explore that terrain on their own.

The sport is alive and well. Perhaps the percentages of youth participation in the private sector will return to what it was when children played mainly for fun and enrichment and not for a perceived advantage or to alleviate parental anxiety. If so, that would be a natural course for the sport to take.

Comment

Yeah, I'm really missing those kids with no touch would couldn't dribble and who couldn't compete with other kids their own age. The sport is in a real downslide because they left.
                    That attitude is why we'll never have a soccer culture in this country. We should be encouraging any kid who wants to play no matter the level. People like you think if you're not top quality you shouldn't play and that's bullshi*t

Comment

No. Field Hockey. I'd rather stick a fork in my eye
                      Did that once .... it really hurt .... i should have just watched the game, it would have been way less painful and i wouldn't have to wear this darned eye patch ..... makes it easy this time of year though .... i dress as a pirate every halloween. do yourself a favor and drop that fork!

Comment

That attitude is why we'll never have a soccer culture in this country. We should be encouraging any kid who wants to play no matter the level. People like you think if you're not top quality you shouldn't play and that's bullshi*t
                        I agree ..... if the masses don't learn to love it, it will never get to any decent level here in terms of support for merchandise, tv rights, tickets and gate receipts ...... people here only care about their little precious and want them to be the big fish in the smallest of american sports ponds.

Comment

I agree ..... if the masses don't learn to love it, it will never get to any decent level here in terms of support for merchandise, tv rights, tickets and gate receipts ...... people here only care about their little precious and want them to be the big fish in the smallest of american sports ponds.
                          That would be girls' lacrosse. Or maybe bowling.

Comment

That would be girls' lacrosse. Or maybe bowling.
                            Soccer is the absolute worst ME-ME-ME sport of any of them. It isn't even close.

Comment

Soccer is the absolute worst ME-ME-ME sport of any of them. It isn't even close.
                              Except for lacrosse.

Comment

I thought it was the biggest fish in the smallest of American sports ponds. Which is girls lacrosse.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X