X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLS Investment in Development

From http://edition.cnn.com/2016/06/20/fo...es/index.html:

"But the league's [MLS'] effort is just a drop in the bucket compared to the spending at European academies, says Stefan Szymanski, professor of sports management at the University of Michigan.

"The problem with U.S. (soccer), and certainly the problem with Major League Soccer, is the refusal to accept that they are competing in a global market and they have to match what people do in other countries," he says.

"They think they can run this kind of cottage industry, small-scale player development schemes and be competitive, and they can't.

"They are putting pitiful amounts of resources into this," he adds. "A youth academy means investing very large sums of money. I'll bet you Manchester City invests five times more than MLS clubs combined invest in their academies, and that's the difference."

Szymanski, it turns out, is correct virtually down to the exact dollar amount.

Two years ago Manchester City completed a training facility for a cost of up to £200 million (about $300 million), two-thirds of which is dedicated to its youth academy, according to the Daily Mail. Meanwhile, MLS teams have collectively spent just $40 million, according to The Wall Street Journal.

"You just think, 'What, are you kidding me?' That's not an investment. That's just fiddling around," adds Szymanski, who authored the book, "Money and Football: A Soccernomics Guide." "

This should be on all the threads about last night's Argentina game. It is the reason the US is so bad-- not Klinsmann.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      This should be on all the threads about last night's Argentina game. It is the reason the US is so bad-- not Klinsmann.
      Agreed....last nights game shows that we need to change the laws. We need to allow clubs to be paid for developing players. Does anyone know when that law will be decided? It will change the game in this country. Clubs will focus on the individual more than trophies and team because they will have the opportunity to be reimbursed for teaching the game correctly.

Comment

Agreed....last nights game shows that we need to change the laws. We need to allow clubs to be paid for developing players. Does anyone know when that law will be decided? It will change the game in this country. Clubs will focus on the individual more than trophies and team because they will have the opportunity to be reimbursed for teaching the game correctly.
        Pretty simple for US Soccer to change their rules. Right now they are "protecting" the MLS clubs from having to pay fees to smaller clubs for players.

Comment

Pretty simple for US Soccer to change their rules. Right now they are "protecting" the MLS clubs from having to pay fees to smaller clubs for players.
          Irony is that MLS clubs are also hurt by this - Mexican clubs have been signing US players (including academy players) w/out compensation.

All in all though, MLS is probably a bigger taker than giver on this front (like so many involving youth soccer).

Comment

it's not US Soccer. It is the US Government. They ruled against this saying that it goes against current child labor laws. It's completely stupid. Trust me when I say that the MLS wants this. It will help grow the game.

Comment

it's not US Soccer. It is the US Government. They ruled against this saying that it goes against current child labor laws. It's completely stupid. Trust me when I say that the MLS wants this. It will help grow the game.
              Yes it is driven by the law. But I don't see it changing any time soon - there would be resistance from lawmakers and parents. Doesn't help that other sport athletes continue to be developed in college prior to going pro (for the most part, not all obviously) and they get an education out of it (again, for the most part). So to sign away your kid to a corporation (which clubs are really) and give up a college education will feel like much too big a risk to many families.

Comment

There is no federal or state law that addresses it directly. Google Liviu Bird's articles on the subject for SI online.

MLS has historically opposed as has the players union, but it sure feels like there is momentum to get US closer to international standards on this.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X