Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad is it at FC Portland??

Non stop posts on here defending poor performances and putting others down.

I can only speak for the boys side. My son has been at FCP for 5-6 years. The problems I've noticed which may not be unique to FCP is.

1. They never practice on grass, and get beaten on grass fields from equal or lesser teams that they beat on turf.

2. roster of good players is very limited. They do not had the number of players that timbers has to put together a solid team.

3. cost limits the number of kids who can apply and has poor mechanisms for allowing talented kids who do not have the money from staying at FCP.

4. Inconsistent coaching.

5. not addressing the mental issues of soccer. The kids are use to losing and have the mentality of not if we will win but how much will we lose by.

If FCP on the boy side can field a strong team, and work on their will to win. I think they can do better than they have been.

Not harping on FCP since it seems other programs have the same problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I can only speak for the boys side. My son has been at FCP for 5-6 years. The problems I've noticed which may not be unique to FCP is.

1. They never practice on grass, and get beaten on grass fields from equal or lesser teams that they beat on turf.

2. roster of good players is very limited. They do not had the number of players that timbers has to put together a solid team.

3. cost limits the number of kids who can apply and has poor mechanisms for allowing talented kids who do not have the money from staying at FCP.

5. not addressing the mental issues of soccer. The kids are use to losing and have the mentality of not if we will win but how much will we lose by.

If FCP on the boy side can field a strong team, and work on their will to win. I think they can do better than they have been.

We have similar problems at a different club.

Comment

I wish these clubs in the greater Portland would adapt Seattle Crossfire, PAC North West, and Seattle United's philosophy, but their all stuck on their own system where it's all about power and control.

Comment

What's up with early try outs?

Comment

Coaches who could care less

Extremely poor development

Heavily based on sales and recruitment otherwise teams are subpar

Comment

It sounds like your boy should play Rec. I lost respect for your knowledge of the game as soon as I read your first point. Good teams and players can play on any surface.

Comment

It sounds like your boy should play Rec. I lost respect for your knowledge of the game as soon as I read your first point. Good teams and players can play on any surface.
                I lost respect for your knowledge in general. How can you be good at something if you've only practice one way. If you think playing on turf prepares you to play on grass that is unpredictable, slick, long, you have never coached or even tried to dribble a ball.

I bet your name on here you've never played.

Comment

I lost respect for your knowledge in general. How can you be good at something if you've only practice one way. If you think playing on turf prepares you to play on grass that is unpredictable, slick, long, you have never coached or even tried to dribble a ball.

I'm not the OP who answered you. But regarding the first point, I've heard teams whine about not getting to practice on artificial turf, having only grass fields. They then whine about not be able to play well in games or tourneys where there are only turf. So the point is that argument cuts both ways.

I agree with the OP that better players and teams adapt to the conditions. Washington premiere has turf, crossfire has grass. Both clubs do well on whatever type of field they're on.

Comment

I'm not the OP who answered you. But regarding the first point, I've heard teams whine about not getting to practice on artificial turf, having only grass fields. They then whine about not be able to play well in games or tourneys where there are only turf. So the point is that argument cuts both ways.

I agree with the OP that better players and teams adapt to the conditions. Washington premiere has turf, crossfire has grass. Both clubs do well on whatever type of field they're on.
                    If you can play on one surface you can play on the other. It's not a big deal. What is a big deal is being able to train year round regardless of weather. That's more important than the type of surface you train on.

Comment

If you can play on one surface you can play on the other. It's not a big deal. What is a big deal is being able to train year round regardless of weather. That's more important than the type of surface you train on.
                      Totally disagree with you

Comment

Totally disagree with you
                        Totally agree with you.

Sign me,

One who's played on both as a youth player, collegiate player, coached youth players, and parent of players.

Our kids know how to play on all surfaces here and elsewhere. Period.

Comment

Totally agree with you.

Sign me,

One who's played on both as a youth player, collegiate player, coached youth players, and parent of players.

Our kids know how to play on all surfaces here and elsewhere. Period.
                          I meant that I agreed with poster about ability to play on all surfaces. Yes. Youth players playing competitive soccer should know how to play on all surfaces.

Comment

I agree with this but I still feel that the cleaner and purer the field and conditions are, the better it is for the better team/players. When you start introducing things like choppy grass, extra long grass, mud, hail, extreme heat... These things often times narrow the gap between a quality side and weaker side. Still, in the end, both teams have to perform on the same pitch so you don't like to hear excuses by either side. It's still fair to critique the conditions and we all do well at that. :)

Comment

I've played and coached at a level you could only dream about. If you understand the game you can play on any surface. It's not like you are practicing on a beach and then go on grass. Your knowledge of the game is non existent. What you are referring to are called EXCUSES!
                              Anyone who things that practicing on turf hinders a players development should not be around the game of soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X