Ecnl clubs scheduled to leave ecnl for the ussda

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagine the federal government trying to come in and dictate soccer to thousands of unique clubs.

This will work like the postal service.

Restrictions, regulations, enforcement of meaningless licenses that have already shown to be a joke by the previous coaches who had A licenses....

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Yet clubs can essentially do it anyway because DA is ten months. They can't field effective teams if too many players want to take time off for hs. Early solved by threatening pt. Don't think clubs won't do it.
      Exactly. It might not be the "rule" for a few years but from a practical standpoint it essentially will be the rule. Forget other sports as well.

Comment

Yet clubs can essentially do it anyway because DA is ten months. They can't field effective teams if too many players want to take time off for hs. Early solved by threatening pt. Don't think clubs won't do it.
        How are girls going to do HS soccer when they MUST train a MINIMUM of 4 times per week with the DA club? And play 1 game per week from Sept to June? Nobody is going to sign for this train wreck.

Comment

How are girls going to do HS soccer when they MUST train a MINIMUM of 4 times per week with the DA club? And play 1 game per week from Sept to June? Nobody is going to sign for this train wreck.
          Oh, you'd be surprised. For years the ODP coaches have been indoctrinating these girls and telling them high school soccer is a waste of time and they should skip it. Some of the current thorns academy players already do. It's really a shame - I get that soccer-wise, kids aren't getting much from high school soccer. But these elite athletes already miss school, social events, and other "normal kid things" to pursue travel soccer. Now they are going to miss out on high school sports, team bonding and being a leader, the feeling of representing your school and building school spirit, and all kinds of non-soccer benefits. If your kid is national team material, I guess I understand (although Malory Pugh played four years of high school soccer and did ECNL and did national team stuff). But...the thorns academy players are NOT national team material. Sorry if that sounds insulting...but you gotta keep it real and be realistic about where your kid will top out. For the vast, vast, vast majority of thorns academy and ECNL players, it's college. The smartest thing to do is pick the path that will get them to where they will top out. ECNL has made it clear that their aim is to get girls recruited and playing in college - a very realistic goal. The DA program is charging 99.9% of players exorbitant fees to chase a dream that they have no prayer of achieving. It makes me sad for the players.

Comment

Oh, you'd be surprised. For years the ODP coaches have been indoctrinating these girls and telling them high school soccer is a waste of time and they should skip it. Some of the current thorns academy players already do. It's really a shame - I get that soccer-wise, kids aren't getting much from high school soccer. But these elite athletes already miss school, social events, and other "normal kid things" to pursue travel soccer. Now they are going to miss out on high school sports, team bonding and being a leader, the feeling of representing your school and building school spirit, and all kinds of non-soccer benefits. If your kid is national team material, I guess I understand (although Malory Pugh played four years of high school soccer and did ECNL and did national team stuff). But...the thorns academy players are NOT national team material. Sorry if that sounds insulting...but you gotta keep it real and be realistic about where your kid will top out. For the vast, vast, vast majority of thorns academy and ECNL players, it's college. The smartest thing to do is pick the path that will get them to where they will top out. ECNL has made it clear that their aim is to get girls recruited and playing in college - a very realistic goal. The DA program is charging 99.9% of players exorbitant fees to chase a dream that they have no prayer of achieving. It makes me sad for the players.
            Boys DA was able to persuade players to play because of the "pro path" story line, free tuition at MLS clubs, and the fact that there wasn't a good 2nd option for college recruiting. Girls will have options with the two leagues and a pro path isn't an option at all. Watch when the boys ECNL starts next year a lot of non MLS clubs will lose players. Most kids and their parents have figured out that they're not going pro or NT and thus the sacrifices many times aren't worth it. The exceptions will be kids who have lousy HS programs or coaches, or the crazy parents (and there are MANY) that think their kid is all that and want to brag at parties about their kid playing in THE BEST league.

Comment

What? But my girl made ODP regional camp. She also does US training. She is only 13 but she has a darn good chance of a full D1 ride and the USWNT, as long as she plays soccer every second of the day. She's not planning on doing HS soccer anyway because it is so far below her super elite level and increases her chances of injury.

Many parents think this way. GDA will have zero problem getting enough players.

Comment

What? But my girl made ODP regional camp. She also does US training. She is only 13 but she has a darn good chance of a full D1 ride and the USWNT, as long as she plays soccer every second of the day. She's not planning on doing HS soccer anyway because it is so far below her super elite level and increases her chances of injury.

Jesuit or Sunset?

Comment

Nice. Always thankful for a good laugh!

Comment

I don't agree. Yes parents get going on turbo with the competition, but at the end of the day they want the best experience for their kids.

High School soccer is brutal for parents to watch, but the kids love it and they play for their school and for fun. They deserve that experience.

Why the powers that be would want to blow up our kids High School experience is befuddling. At last glance our girls side with High School does just fine. Heck maybe Europe should try it our way.

Comment

I don't agree. Yes parents get going on turbo with the competition, but at the end of the day they want the best experience for their kids.

High School soccer is brutal for parents to watch, but the kids love it and they play for their school and for fun. They deserve that experience.

Why the powers that be would want to blow up our kids High School experience is befuddling. At last glance our girls side with High School does just fine. Heck maybe Europe should try it our way.
                      Some of the players are fine without High School soccer. Probably because many of the best players don't go to Jesuit or Sunset.

Comment

Some of the players are fine without High School soccer. Probably because many of the best players don't go to Jesuit or Sunset.

Some yes, but majority choose to play HS.

Comment

Don't worry, those of you worried about high school won't have kids on the DA team anyway. There will be only one quarter the number of spots there were on the ECNL and more competition for those spots.

Comment

Boys DA was able to persuade players to play because of the "pro path" story line, free tuition at MLS clubs, and the fact that there wasn't a good 2nd option for college recruiting. Girls will have options with the two leagues and a pro path isn't an option at all. Watch when the boys ECNL starts next year a lot of non MLS clubs will lose players. Most kids and their parents have figured out that they're not going pro or NT and thus the sacrifices many times aren't worth it. The exceptions will be kids who have lousy HS programs or coaches, or the crazy parents (and there are MANY) that think their kid is all that and want to brag at parties about their kid playing in THE BEST league.
                            Yes, there are crazy parents and delusional parents. There also are some very good players who have their heads on straight and are more than capable of making good decisions. I know a dozen or more players who now are playing D1 who didn't play high school and who are intelligent, well-rounded, grounded young ladies who have supportive but not over-bearing parents. No, they're not "robotic." Their "thing" just happened to be soccer and HS soccer wasn't in the cards. They played soccer, they studied hard, they enjoyed time with friends, they played music, they traveled, and/or they had great times. I can guarantee you that none of these girls are regretting the fact that they missed a dance or two, nor do most of them believe they're going to be playing on the WNT. Their sacrifices have led to playing high level soccer at excellent universities, getting educated and continuing to play a sport they love. I think the "crazies" are those who wish their kids were talented enough to get to that level and now are trying to justify their personal inadequacies by judging others (no, this is not directed at the poster).

Comment

The 2 remaining ECNL clubs will be FC Portland and CU.
                              It would cut costs doing that. Maybe they can play in the silver bracket at the Vegas Cup while they are at it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X