Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roster size

Last year, my kid's varsity team had 20 players. This year, it has 25. The coach added a number of freshmen and sophomores to a team that only lost a few to graduation.

Without getting into the talent of the new players, I think when you have too many players and the coach doesn't cut upper classmen, the freshmen should play JV. What's happening now is the back line defense is set so there are 20 players being rotated in for the 6 remaining spots. That's just too much and impossible for a coach to manage, especially an inexperienced coach. All the players seem about equal in talent so I don't know how the playing time will shake out.

As a coach myself. I can say that this rarely works out. The coach either tries to play everyone less than ideal minutes and makes all the players upset or defines the roster and a bunch sit the bench all year which leads to a toxic environment. Neither works. I can speak from my coaching experience. I had a team that won the conference championship with the same core group finish last the next year because I had too many players to manage. I learned from that experience and reduced the roster the next season and won the conference again.

When numbers are against you, it's better for freshmen and sophomores to play JV where they can play a lot and develop. I see a very long season ahead for my kid's team.

Completely agree the roster is too big. However, if you can play, you can play. Some freshmen are good enough to become varsity starters, and those kids should be on varsity.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Last year, my kid's varsity team had 20 players. This year, it has 25. The coach added a number of freshmen and sophomores to a team that only lost a few to graduation.

Without getting into the talent of the new players, I think when you have too many players and the coach doesn't cut upper classmen, the freshmen should play JV. What's happening now is the back line defense is set so there are 20 players being rotated in for the 6 remaining spots. That's just too much and impossible for a coach to manage, especially an inexperienced coach. All the players seem about equal in talent so I don't know how the playing time will shake out.

As a coach myself. I can say that this rarely works out. The coach either tries to play everyone less than ideal minutes and makes all the players upset or defines the roster and a bunch sit the bench all year which leads to a toxic environment. Neither works. I can speak from my coaching experience. I had a team that won the conference championship with the same core group finish last the next year because I had too many players to manage. I learned from that experience and reduced the roster the next season and won the conference again.

When numbers are against you, it's better for freshmen and sophomores to play JV where they can play a lot and develop. I see a very long season ahead for my kid's team.
      If the best kids aren’t on Varsity then what are we doing? To simply keep upperclassmen, who likely could care less if they play anyway, is ridiculous. So American.

Comment

Welcome to our high school team. Too many upperclassmen and now no room to even look at talented sophs and freshmen. We seem to be rebuilding every year because we always graduate so many seniors.

Comment

Wait until college where roster are 30-35 and sometimes more

Comment

Better to have players with long term potential practicing with V team than under a (most likely ) less qualified JV coach and certainly less talented JV players. He can have them play JV games so they get PT but train with him. Once the season gets going there will be multiple players out with injuries. There also will be some easier than average games and he can rest his starters and play the others.

BTW not saying 25 is optimal but it is normal for HS and manageable.

Comment

If the best kids aren’t on Varsity then what are we doing? To simply keep upperclassmen, who likely could care less if they play anyway, is ridiculous. So American.
              what kid on a team could care less if they play- stupid statement

Comment

The real problem is your hs has 6 defenders on your back line.

Comment

Extremely atypical to have that high a number.

Comment

The real problem is your hs has 6 defenders on your back line.
                    Quickly delete ^this^ post before everyone figures out how dumb you are!

Comment

Extremely atypical to have that high a number.
                      25-30 is very normal in college. Over 30 less so, but it definitely happens often enough

Comment

If your kid is going to Sacred Heart, sure. Other than that, north of 30 is very uncommon.

Comment

what kid on a team could care less if they play- stupid statement
                          Not that poster but he may have been referring to seniors - some coaches let them stay on the squad even though they know won't play. If the kids weren't happy with that arrangement they wouldn't stay. But they do stay because they still are practicing and involved with the team - even more fun if the team goes far in states - and they get to put a varsity sport down on their college applications. The role of HS sports isn't just about the quality of play but school spirit, keeping kids active and out of trouble etc. Club soccer elitists can enjoy HS soccer more if they accept that reality and stop thinking of HS as an extension of club soccer.

The kids know who is good. If the coach is decent and really only plays the most qualified players, then kids respect that. The trouble starts when when politics or azz kissing gets underserving players on the field. Players get discouraged, parents get irritated, AD's office gets inundated with more complaints than usual.

Comment

If your kid is going to Sacred Heart, sure. Other than that, north of 30 is very uncommon.
                            I agree in D1 it doesn't happen often but close to 30 happens plenty.

https://butlersports.com/roster.aspx?path=wsoc
                            https://fightingillini.com/roster.aspx?path=wsoc
                            https://wvusports.com/roster.aspx?path=wsoc

I've seen some crazy huge D2 and D3 rosters - D3 makes some sense as it doesn't really cost the coach much of anything to carry some extra practice players

Comment

I agree in D1 it doesn't happen often but close to 30 happens plenty.

https://butlersports.com/roster.aspx?path=wsoc
                              https://fightingillini.com/roster.aspx?path=wsoc
                              https://wvusports.com/roster.aspx?path=wsoc

I've seen some crazy huge D2 and D3 rosters - D3 makes some sense as it doesn't really cost the coach much of anything to carry some extra practice players
                              It doesn’t cost the coach anything at any level to carry extra players. Not like they get scholarship money. Those kids are walk ins and money makers.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X