Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

At any rate, it's almost assured that no more than one or two 05 boys will ever have a pro career, and the number could easily wind up being zero.
    And statistics show that none of them can be found on the current TA roster.

Comment

And statistics show that none of them can be found on the current TA roster.
      While "statistics" can make useful predictions about how many first-team players the TA might be expected to produce, it isn't very useful in making specific predictions about specific individuals.

Assume that historically, one player per year gets a first-team contract from the Timbers. (A bit higher than historical results, but what TA sees as a goal). Assume that there are twelve kids in every class that make it to the U16/U17 team (we'll ignore the out-of-state imports for now).

Statistically speaking, any given kid would have an 8% chance of a first-team contract. But were you to pick any kid at random and ask "are they likely to get a first team contract", an 8% chance would suggest "no". But someone is statistically likely to get one, even if no individual is.

Another example: Every time you get in your car, your chances of dying in an accident is about 0.0000015% for every mile you travel by automobile. (Thats 1.5 millionth of a percent). But people die in car crashes every day.

Comment

While "statistics" can make useful predictions about how many first-team players the TA might be expected to produce, it isn't very useful in making specific predictions about specific individuals.

Assume that historically, one player per year gets a first-team contract from the Timbers. (A bit higher than historical results, but what TA sees as a goal). Assume that there are twelve kids in every class that make it to the U16/U17 team (we'll ignore the out-of-state imports for now).

Statistically speaking, any given kid would have an 8% chance of a first-team contract. But were you to pick any kid at random and ask "are they likely to get a first team contract", an 8% chance would suggest "no". But someone is statistically likely to get one, even if no individual is.

Another example: Every time you get in your car, your chances of dying in an accident is about 0.0000015% for every mile you travel by automobile. (Thats 1.5 millionth of a percent). But people die in car crashes every day.
        Haha...I like this guy. His tenacity and not overly direct approach is admirable. He is clearly affiliated with Timbers Academy, or more likely Westside (TA's booty call) Even though I vehemently disagree with you about TA and in particular the 05 team, I respect your right to express your beliefs. However, I have to say one thing in regards to your ODP comment. My son made the regional team and loved his ODP experience. He was very confident about where he stood in relation to any kid in ODP. So, no jealousy there at all.

Comment

Hahaha! I know that this is a joke. Crossfire has shown so far this year that they are quite possibly the best Oregon DA team and FC has been mediocre with a 1-1-1 record. On top of that, FC has yet to score a goal against Crossfire in the two meetings this year!
          The joke is how every year Crossfire starts off hot, and then cools off and becomes a middle of the pack team. Look at last year? FC develops and the kids get better every week. FC has had a lot of turnover, Crossfire never does...and yet they plateau and get beat. FC will dominate and win. Calling it now.

Comment

Hahaha! I know that this is a joke. Crossfire has shown so far this year that they are quite possibly the best Oregon DA team and FC has been mediocre with a 1-1-1 record. On top of that, FC has yet to score a goal against Crossfire in the two meetings this year!

All that said, they probably wouldn't win the OYSA state cup, just to put this discussion into proper perspective.

Comment

Prediction guy; What are the predictions for Saturday?

Comment

All that said, they probably wouldn't win the OYSA state cup, just to put this discussion into proper perspective.
                Move along oysa guy. Don’t give me the cuervos or 4h line- xfire and others already slapped both around last time you tried that...

Comment

Please. If that Crossfire team was in OYSA, they would go undefeated and best the snot out of teams. Sorry, that is a fact. Any of the top 4 in DA would do so.

Comment

Please. If that Crossfire team was in OYSA, they would go undefeated and best the snot out of teams. Sorry, that is a fact. Any of the top 4 in DA would do so.
                    Crossfire is irrelevant in the OYSA on the boys side. Just look at their older train wrecks of teams and coaches. Jus sayin.

Comment

Crossfire is irrelevant in the OYSA on the boys side. Just look at their older train wrecks of teams and coaches. Jus sayin.
                      Crossfire has boys high school teams?

Who knew?

Comment

Thanks for your input Westside dork. News flash, this is the 05 thread. Not the 99, 00, 01 thread. As of this time next year all of these kids will be in high school and will be "older kids." Then we can talk about Crossfire's "train wrecks" vs Westside's "dumpster fires." Make no mistake, your 05 Boys are the beginning of a long downward spiral for your antiquated club. For years you have come on here and talked **** about how Westside is the gold standard for Rec..errr OYSA at the older ages, when deflecting from the underperforming o5 group. Time's up. 06 and 07 look pretty thin as well. Winter is coming.

Comment

Crossfire has boys high school teams?

Who knew?
                          Your wife obviously does. I mean, we were talking about it just the other day....

Comment

Thanks for your input Westside dork. News flash, this is the 05 thread. Not the 99, 00, 01 thread. As of this time next year all of these kids will be in high school and will be "older kids." Then we can talk about Crossfire's "train wrecks" vs Westside's "dumpster fires." Make no mistake, your 05 Boys are the beginning of a long downward spiral for your antiquated club. For years you have come on here and talked **** about how Westside is the gold standard for Rec..errr OYSA at the older ages, when deflecting from the underperforming o5 group. Time's up. 06 and 07 look pretty thin as well. Winter is coming.

The factual thing you typed is that winter is coming. Although the nice 77 degree day today makes me forget about the rain for now

Comment

You are such a miserably blind TA honk, sure TA has some good players but remember they were once mixed in with this group and the list is not much different than it has been for the last 3 years even with the kids who have migrated over to TA. Forwards score, defenders defend, and most midfielders and wingbacks build up the offense and deliver assists it’s how soccer works in general. SB, AB, etc at TA are no better and I would actually take AP, AB, LW, MS, SD and several others from little DA over either of those 2 and half the rest of the TA roster and I am not alone in that assessment....
                              Well, you taking AP, AB, LW, MS, SD and several others just shows why you are not a coach!
                              Those boys don't have what it takes to endure a rigorous training schedule, play against top flight defenders and still produce goals! They may score, but that is because they are playing against weak defenders! Good Friday to ya ;)

Comment

Prediction guy; What are the predictions for Saturday?
                                I'm not the true prediction guy, but here is my shot:

Crossfire 4, FCPDX 1 - Crossfire hung two on FC three weeks ago and this time there is no AK in goal.

Capital 5, UPDX 2 - Capital is a strong team and the hometown prison guard referee will give them some favorable calls.

Washington 3, Westside 0 - Westside won't be able to contain MS and on the other end Washington's defense will have no problem stopping Westside's lack of finishers.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X