Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Exactly. HS for most is NOT doing much in the form of technical development, but it is a big deal to many for a variety of reasons. I just think if DA is going to be what it wants to be in the current size it is, it's going to have to allow for kids to play HS, and come back when that is over like ECNL currently is. There was a push for ECNL to drop HS a few years back, and it didn't work. Clubs can put something together for the kids that don't want to do HS during the HS season.
    so build a platform based on development that allows its players to play HS - the most inconsistent of platforms? makes no sense. If a kid wants HS, no problem, but the GDA would be idiots to compromise for HS.

what exactly do kids get from HS soccer that they cannot get from Club? Names in the local paper is about it.

Comment

so build a platform based on development that allows its players to play HS - the most inconsistent of platforms? makes no sense. If a kid wants HS, no problem, but the GDA would be idiots to compromise for HS.

what exactly do kids get from HS soccer that they cannot get from Club? Names in the local paper is about it.
      Playing on a team.

Club is a bunch of mercenaries and the top levels. Always has been. Gda isn’t going to change that.

Comment

Playing on a team.

Club is a bunch of mercenaries and the top levels. Always has been. Gda isn’t going to change that.
        True on the mercenaries, sad but part of why our wnt often can't and every team below that can't play the possession game with any consistency.

Comment

True on the mercenaries, sad but part of why our wnt often can't and every team below that can't play the possession game with any consistency.
          Even the top clubs haven’t figured out that the teams are made of players and not customers. A corrosive problem that is less of an issue on the boys side.

Comment

Some of you are just utter fools. Do you honestly think professional players in any sport aren't mercenaries? Think through what you are saying, can't Man U play possession? Half the problem with this country's youth sports programs is they don't understand that all pro athletes are unicorns that decide to play together because it's in their own selfish best interest to do so and not because mommy and daddy spent a bloody fortune on some training program.

Comment

I guess our context is just different. If the merits of HS soccer are not apparent to you there is nothing I can say to change your mind.

Maybe you are a coach, and your sole focus is developing the player. In that case, I can see why skipping HS makes sense to you. Im raising a daughter, and in our town the high school soccer experience has more pros than cons in developing the person (who is also a very competitive player)

Comment

I guess our context is just different. If the merits of HS soccer are not apparent to you there is nothing I can say to change your mind.

Maybe you are a coach, and your sole focus is developing the player. In that case, I can see why skipping HS makes sense to you. Im raising a daughter, and in our town the high school soccer experience has more pros than cons in developing the person (who is also a very competitive player)
                The merits are very clear. But I dont buy the arguments that those things cannot be gained form ANY team sport including Club. No one has yet been able to tell me EXACTLY what the unique HS ONLY benefit is. You can lead in all sport. You can become a great teammate. You can grow as a person. Having pasta parties ? Really? what else.

HS cannot compete on the soccer side so we make up all these things about it. In my experience, it allows kids who dont play the sport to a high level to experience things that they otherwise may not because they could not make Club sports teams. Great. I get that. But lets call it what it is. Its a good time and not particularly challenging for a really good player. If thats what the player wants, no problem at all. Sports should be fun. But its not something to use as a reason to derail a true immersive soccer experience.

The GDA should be smaller because there are not enough kids with the ability to really justify it. But bowing to HS would be stupid. Let the kids who want HS play in a league that allows it. No problem at all. If more kids want HS, then again, no problem- the GDA will fail.

Comment

The merits are very clear. But I dont buy the arguments that those things cannot be gained form ANY team sport including Club. No one has yet been able to tell me EXACTLY what the unique HS ONLY benefit is. You can lead in all sport. You can become a great teammate. You can grow as a person. Having pasta parties ? Really? what else.

HS cannot compete on the soccer side so we make up all these things about it. In my experience, it allows kids who dont play the sport to a high level to experience things that they otherwise may not because they could not make Club sports teams. Great. I get that. But lets call it what it is. Its a good time and not particularly challenging for a really good player. If thats what the player wants, no problem at all. Sports should be fun. But its not something to use as a reason to derail a true immersive soccer experience.

The GDA should be smaller because there are not enough kids with the ability to really justify it. But bowing to HS would be stupid. Let the kids who want HS play in a league that allows it. No problem at all. If more kids want HS, then again, no problem- the GDA will fail.
                  Yea, Pasta Parties.
                  And that league you described is ECNL, which for now people seem to be choosing 50-50 with GDA. What if we Tighten both down to 1 team each?

Comment

Yea, Pasta Parties.
                    And that league you described is ECNL, which for now people seem to be choosing 50-50 with GDA. What if we Tighten both down to 1 team each?
                    It may take a couple of years, but GDA will win out over ECNL, it is inevitable. My daughter will have aged out of ECNL by then.

Comment

Yea, Pasta Parties.
                      I dont care who people choose. I have no attachment to either. My kid played in both. Quit HS before GDA even started. ECNL has the advantage of doing it longer, but is not much more than a glitzy showcase platform bolted on to existing Clubs. GDA has some good ideas but will struggle to overcome the real lack of truly committed players at most Clubs. Lets face it, GDA is just a few more rules and some USSF oversight bolted on the the very same Clubs.

The whole YNT carrot is silly. Its really not relevant because the people making those calls have not shown any of us that they can coach players up when they go to camps. The way they play as a YNT is a terrible commercial for what the YNT does to players. Bear in mind most of these kids are well into the development part already. The YNTs should mostly be kids who fit the style the coaches want. Not necessarily better than others.

If the USSF had a really good Technical Director, then non os these problems would exist (imo) that person would have the respect of the ECNL and any other league and be able to pull both camps together.

The bottom line is one person is the biggest impediment to the two working together - April Heinrichs.

Yes there are egomaniacs on both sides, but she is the road block

Comment

Love reading stupid stuff from hacks like the guy above. He’d fill the National team with tiny slow guys who he felt had “vision” and “creativity” not ever understanding how far off the pace athletically his choices were. You need to have it all at the top levels and he clearly doesn’t realize that on the men’s side you are getting the 4th or 5th tier athletes who ultimately have no shot whatsoever at competing against the cream of the crop from other countries no matter how well you train them. It’s precisely why the BDA is floundering producing a bunch of D3 college level players. Garbage in, garbage out so to speak. The problem with youth soccer in this country is the nets are way too wide and we are expending a ton of time, money and resources trying to turn kids with a recreational interest in soccer into professional grade players. It’s as though winning the adult park league championship is more important than winning a world championship. Folks don’t seem to get that if you win a world championship, winning park league championships won’t be a problem. Look at women’s soccer, it exploded after LA.

Comment

Love reading stupid stuff from hacks like the guy above. He’d fill the National team with tiny slow guys who he felt had “vision” and “creativity” not ever understanding how far off the pace athletically his choices were. You need to have it all at the top levels and he clearly doesn’t realize that on the men’s side you are getting the 4th or 5th tier athletes who ultimately have no shot whatsoever at competing against the cream of the crop from other countries no matter how well you train them. It’s precisely why the BDA is floundering producing a bunch of D3 college level players. Garbage in, garbage out so to speak. The problem with youth soccer in this country is the nets are way too wide and we are expending a ton of time, money and resources trying to turn kids with a recreational interest in soccer into professional grade players. It’s as though winning the adult park league championship is more important than winning a world championship. Folks don’t seem to get that if you win a world championship, winning park league championships won’t be a problem. Look at women’s soccer, it exploded after LA.
                          Because thats where the money is. lets not kid ourselves that the motivation of any of these leagues is to produce excellent players. Thats a byproduct of the sheer numbers playing. It caters to the parent who , with rose colored glasses, sees a spark in their kid that requires 10s of thousands of dollars to nurture. Dont kid your self that the girls is any different at its root. The major difference is that the impact of numbers is disproportionate realtve to the RoW. Its the same philosophy but plays a bit better due to the succes on teh worlsd stage.

UNC women are a microcosm of the world stage. Dominant when they were the only real game in town and had the pick of almost every top player. Still relevant now, but not able to overcome the dated coaching methods and get back to anything close to dominance as the other schools have gotten accesss to more talent and coached it better

Comment

This:
                            (The Club) "caters to the parent who , with rose colored glasses, sees a spark in their kid that requires 10s of thousands of dollars to nurture"

How would club owners finish this statement?
                            We are in the business of __________

Comment

Developing creative free thinking players to be successful on teams playing any system of play.

Comment

Making money.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X