Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Aren't you the one who keeps dumping on the DA citing how poorly its worked on the boys side. The problem is USSF has traditionally only been concerned with the men's side. The women have generally gotten the table scraps. That's what's been dragging the whole thing down. The men are a lost cause until you build a better soccer culture in this country and bring in a higher caliber of athlete. That won't happen until we dominate on the women's side. They should have started the girls DA first and then then boys. As far as the U20 go, they just had a coaching change, you don't even recognize how disruptive that sort of thing is in your constant haranguing which leads me to believe you know squat about much of anything when it comes to any sort of high level sports.
    No. I have no insight to the boys DA. Wrong person.

Comment

Aren't you the one who keeps dumping on the DA citing how poorly its worked on the boys side. The problem is USSF has traditionally only been concerned with the men's side. The women have generally gotten the table scraps. That's what's been dragging the whole thing down. The men are a lost cause until you build a better soccer culture in this country and bring in a higher caliber of athlete. That won't happen until we dominate on the women's side. They should have started the girls DA first and then then boys. As far as the U20 go, they just had a coaching change, you don't even recognize how disruptive that sort of thing is in your constant haranguing which leads me to believe you know squat about much of anything when it comes to any sort of high level sports.
      lol. Coaching change? Not really. Adding Klimkova cnages nothing. Jaime Frias and the other coaches have been working with many of the players for a while. The principles across all the teams are the same and have not changed under Heinrichs, Snow and Ellis. The one thing that has changed as you add coaches the new favorites are now being selected. Often from the Clubs associated with the new assistants.

Dont need to really prove myself to you. You are entitled to your opinion.

Comment

lol. Coaching change? Not really. Adding Klimkova cnages nothing. Jaime Frias and the other coaches have been working with many of the players for a while. The principles across all the teams are the same and have not changed under Heinrichs, Snow and Ellis. The one thing that has changed as you add coaches the new favorites are now being selected. Often from the Clubs associated with the new assistants.

Dont need to really prove myself to you. You are entitled to your opinion.
        Do tell who the f**k you are and what your credentials are. Being a town hack doesn’t mean you know s goddam thing.

Comment

Do tell who the f**k you are and what your credentials are. Being a town hack doesn’t mean you know s goddam thing.
          And you are??

Thought so.

Comment

Cursing, insults ? You seem to bet awfully trigger by a simple soccer discussion. Differences of opinion are ok. You need to relax.

Comment

And you are??

Thought so.
              Yes. strange isnt it. Wont say who they are but want to know my identity for some reason. As if I need credentials to have an opinion

Comment

Yes. strange isnt it. Wont say who they are but want to know my identity for some reason. As if I need credentials to have an opinion
                Exactly. You can have all the opinions you want. That doesn’t mean you know jack though.

Comment

Old saying applies. Opinions are like butt holes.. everyone got one

Comment

Old saying applies. Opinions are like butt holes.. everyone got one
                    Opinions are like camel toe. I know you have one, but you dont need to share with everyone

Comment

The men will be second rate until we get athletes like Odelle Beckham to stop playing basketball or football and staying with soccer. When you think about it 90% of our current star professional athletes probably started playing organized soccer at some point but left the game. That’s the ultimate problem on the men’s side.

On the women’s side the top women’s sports are soccer, basketball, and volleyball a distant third. Basketball draws from predominately urban and rural populations and from lower socioeconomic groups whereas soccer draws from a decidedly wealthier suburban population. Both sports general get the very top female athletes from there bases. It’s just a much different picture when compared to the men’s side.

The DA is an important step forward for a couple of reasons.

1) It tries to isolate the better players from the lesser players and do away with strict age banding in favor of a more talent based banding for groupings. That should improve the quality of the training groups.
                      2) It tries to institute a more structured training program with a much higher work rate. That should improve the quality of the individual players.

As with anything, if the clubs or the individual players don’t fully buy in it will not be successful. Then again nothing would be successful in that case. Ultimately to DA is nothing more than a tool. There are other tools that could be used but in the end it all comes down to the work rate of the individual kid regardless of the tool they use. If you are not fulling buying into whichever one you choose and your kid isn’t fully selling out in it they will never succeed.

Comment

The men will be second rate until we get athletes like Odelle Beckham to stop playing basketball or football and staying with soccer. When you think about it 90% of our current star professional athletes probably started playing organized soccer at some point but left the game. That’s the ultimate problem on the men’s side.

On the women’s side the top women’s sports are soccer, basketball, and volleyball a distant third. Basketball draws from predominately urban and rural populations and from lower socioeconomic groups whereas soccer draws from a decidedly wealthier suburban population. Both sports general get the very top female athletes from there bases. It’s just a much different picture when compared to the men’s side.

The DA is an important step forward for a couple of reasons.

1) It tries to isolate the better players from the lesser players and do away with strict age banding in favor of a more talent based banding for groupings. That should improve the quality of the training groups.
                        2) It tries to institute a more structured training program with a much higher work rate. That should improve the quality of the individual players.

As with anything, if the clubs or the individual players don’t fully buy in it will not be successful. Then again nothing would be successful in that case. Ultimately to DA is nothing more than a tool. There are other tools that could be used but in the end it all comes down to the work rate of the individual kid regardless of the tool they use. If you are not fulling buying into whichever one you choose and your kid isn’t fully selling out in it they will never succeed.
                        None of what you say works unless the people actually teaching the game are very good. Where are these people ? The US is not a soccer culture so the teaching is not organic. The $$ in the game on the womens side are nowhere near enough to sustain a league, let alone attract the best coaches.

Womens soccer in the US has existed on parent funding and by the time Colleges start to pay for a select few, the majority of development is done. Sure, a country this size will produce exceptions and the odd great player, but per participating player, I bet the USA produce less that most soccer countries.

Until real funding is diverted to teaching the game to as many young players as possible and them letting the passionate ones develop, we will stagnate and lose ground to ocountries that do this. You cant rely on the rich parents like this system does.

Comment

None of what you say works unless the people actually teaching the game are very good. Where are these people ? The US is not a soccer culture so the teaching is not organic. The $$ in the game on the womens side are nowhere near enough to sustain a league, let alone attract the best coaches.

Womens soccer in the US has existed on parent funding and by the time Colleges start to pay for a select few, the majority of development is done. Sure, a country this size will produce exceptions and the odd great player, but per participating player, I bet the USA produce less that most soccer countries.

Until real funding is diverted to teaching the game to as many young players as possible and them letting the passionate ones develop, we will stagnate and lose ground to ocountries that do this. You cant rely on the rich parents like this system does.
                          Honestly don't kid yourself into believing that you are the only one who knows anything about soccer, there are actually more than enough people out there who can teach the game. No different than in any sport. The primary ingredient missing with most of the coaches out there is they are lazy and only doing it to line their pocket. Prime example is a guy like JD. He certainly can coach what a kid needs know but they are just a means to an end with him so ultimately he never gives the individual what they need. Look at how much talent the guy has surrounded himself with and how little they ultimately produced. Give me a guy like CH or 88 (now deceased) any day of the week. Guys like them are few and far between.

The problem with your approach is you end up wasting tons of resources on kids who ultimately are never bound to help the national team. The recreational venues that we currently have where most of them exist are doing a fine job exposing the game to the masses and teaching them the rudiments of how to play it. They don't need much more than that at the recreational level. The problem these days is the clubs have convinced the parents of recreational players that they need more than that so there has been an influx of mediocre and unmotivated talent clogging up what should be the top tier. As a coach you should know that in that situation you have to dumb things down to bring it to the lowest functioning player. You can be the greatest teacher in the world but if you don't have bright talent eager to put what you are teaching to use, you might as well be the worst. That's more the issue, not finding some hidden gem under a rock somewhere.

Comment

Honestly don't kid yourself into believing that you are the only one who knows anything about soccer, there are actually more than enough people out there who can teach the game. No different than in any sport. The primary ingredient missing with most of the coaches out there is they are lazy and only doing it to line their pocket. Prime example is a guy like JD. He certainly can coach what a kid needs know but they are just a means to an end with him so ultimately he never gives the individual what they need. Look at how much talent the guy has surrounded himself with and how little they ultimately produced. Give me a guy like CH or 88 (now deceased) any day of the week. Guys like them are few and far between.

The problem with your approach is you end up wasting tons of resources on kids who ultimately are never bound to help the national team. The recreational venues that we currently have where most of them exist are doing a fine job exposing the game to the masses and teaching them the rudiments of how to play it. They don't need much more than that at the recreational level. The problem these days is the clubs have convinced the parents of recreational players that they need more than that so there has been an influx of mediocre and unmotivated talent clogging up what should be the top tier. As a coach you should know that in that situation you have to dumb things down to bring it to the lowest functioning player. You can be the greatest teacher in the world but if you don't have bright talent eager to put what you are teaching to use, you might as well be the worst. That's more the issue, not finding some hidden gem under a rock somewhere.

This board never ceases to entertain. Where on earth does your opening line come from?
                            The aggressive posters assume everyone wants to fight. Where do all these qualified teachers come from? The US charges more for licensing than anyone else. The sport is not valued as highly commercially as the traditional ones and yet you have huge youth participation on the girls side - but you think there are more than enough people we should trust with laying the technical foundation to our kids in a fun, but engaging manner? I respectfully disagree.

I dont care about kids to help the national team because you have no idea at the ages I am talking about . Whta you want is as many kids gaining exposure to the game as possible and enjoying it . worse case, you build fans and increase the soccer culture. You are putting the cart way before the horse if the NT is even a consideration.

I watch a lot of youth soccer thru my kids and the fundamental basis for the vast majority of players is bad - trapping, passing and dribbling are not good even in leagues like the ECNL or GDA. Watch the U-20 NT. the standards there are lower than one would expect. Why? becasue the fundamentalists are glossed over at a young age to play competitive games that favor the fast and the strong. kids are turned off before they can even engage. Something as basic as passing to the correct foot. Body shape on reciving the ball etc are just not done well.

You clearly thing the game here is a lot better techniocally than I do.

Comment

I agree with a lot of this

https://www.socceramerica.com/public...to-create.html

Comment

This board never ceases to entertain. Where on earth does your opening line come from?
                                The aggressive posters assume everyone wants to fight. Where do all these qualified teachers come from? The US charges more for licensing than anyone else. The sport is not valued as highly commercially as the traditional ones and yet you have huge youth participation on the girls side - but you think there are more than enough people we should trust with laying the technical foundation to our kids in a fun, but engaging manner? I respectfully disagree.

I dont care about kids to help the national team because you have no idea at the ages I am talking about . Whta you want is as many kids gaining exposure to the game as possible and enjoying it . worse case, you build fans and increase the soccer culture. You are putting the cart way before the horse if the NT is even a consideration.

I watch a lot of youth soccer thru my kids and the fundamental basis for the vast majority of players is bad - trapping, passing and dribbling are not good even in leagues like the ECNL or GDA. Watch the U-20 NT. the standards there are lower than one would expect. Why? becasue the fundamentalists are glossed over at a young age to play competitive games that favor the fast and the strong. kids are turned off before they can even engage. Something as basic as passing to the correct foot. Body shape on reciving the ball etc are just not done well.

You clearly thing the game here is a lot better techniocally than I do.
                                And obviously you think everything sucks here. I'm not saying that everything is great because it is not, the big disconnect I have with you is you are like my anarchist friends who want to tear everything down and start anew with some big grand plan. At this stage in life I have seen enough to know that never works. You want to improve the masses, I want to improve just the kids who actually want to be improved. I see the DA as a huge step forward because the kids actually to actually want to be there and it gives them an opportunity to work harder on soccer than anything I have seen around here. Ultimately that is what is going to make the only difference .. giving kids who want to specialize in soccer an opportunity to do that without all the baggage of the rec players around them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X