• Show
Clear All

ID camps

Best ID camps in PNW?

GPS tryouts

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Best ID camps in PNW?
      Are you asking for men's or women's youth camps? What age group? What division? What state(s)?

Comment

Best ID camps in PNW?
        If you are trying to get recruited this is not the best way to go. Hopefully your team is playing in meaningful Showcase events. iD camps are moneymakers for the schools and not a venue to be recruited. Sometimes if a school has been watching your daughter they may ask you to come to their iD camp for more looks

Comment

If you are trying to get recruited this is not the best way to go. Hopefully your team is playing in meaningful Showcase events. iD camps are moneymakers for the schools and not a venue to be recruited. Sometimes if a school has been watching your daughter they may ask you to come to their iD camp for more looks
          Yes. If you've been talking with a coach and/or they've seen you play and personally invite you (and you're interested in the school) then most likely you'll need to attend one of their camps. Coaches usually only have a few minutes to watch you at a showcase and want more time to evaluate you and get to know you. But you can't just go to a camp and expect to get noticed. It's very difficult to stand out at these events and coaches will be focusing on the players already on their radar. In general it's best to avoid the big multi-school events and focus at attending camps at the schools you're interested in. In all cases express you interest to coaches well ahead of time to get on their radar, just like you do for showcases.

I will say that if your player in not quite at recruiting age it can be helpful to attend one where perhaps there isn't any interest but to just gain some experience, see what the skill level is, practice talking with coaches, get a feel for how it all works. Do a one day camp nearby that requires no travel. That way they're more comfortable with the process and can better target the right level when it matters more.

Comment

Great advice.

Comment

Best ID camps in PNW?
              The ones at the schools your kid would be interested in playing at. Are you kidding with this question? An ID camp in not for summer development.

Comment

In the case of my youngest collegiate player she only attended one camp and that was the college she committed to. They asked her to come. I suppose it could be a fun activity but most competitive players already play so much that maybe fun activities should be something else. So, attend those colleges that she or he are interested in. IN all honesty I think college camps including ID are pretty much fund raisers.

Comment

In the case of my youngest collegiate player she only attended one camp and that was the college she committed to. They asked her to come. I suppose it could be a fun activity but most competitive players already play so much that maybe fun activities should be something else. So, attend those colleges that she or he are interested in. IN all honesty I think college camps including ID are pretty much fund raisers.
                  People forget that the player should be asking the coach if (s)he will be watching players or if it is a fundraiser ID camp run by current players. The coach's response-depending on the school, it could be an AC, who is more likely to tell you what to expect. Coaches like players who can speak up and are comfortable enough to ask questions. If the player doesn't like the response then (s)he has a good idea of what to expect. Players not parents!

Besides, the player could go to the camp and then what happens if the coach isn't coaching there when it's time to sign the NLI?

Comment

Besides, the player could go to the camp and then what happens if the coach isn't coaching there when it's time to sign the NLI?
                    The latter paragraph - that's always a risk. The earlier you get recruited the bigger the risk. Coaches come and go. Read a coach's bio to see if he's a recent arrival (more likely to be around for awhile), what the record is (bad record=might get axed; great record he could get poached by a higher level program). Assistant coaches, who do a lot of the heavy lifting for recruiting, come and go even more because they're younger trying to build their careers. That's why you really need to love the school, not just the soccer. The odds of playing all four years aren't great anyway. School first. Always.

Comment

People forget that the player should be asking the coach if (s)he will be watching players or if it is a fundraiser ID camp run by current players. The coach's response-depending on the school, it could be an AC, who is more likely to tell you what to expect. Coaches like players who can speak up and are comfortable enough to ask questions. If the player doesn't like the response then (s)he has a good idea of what to expect. Players not parents!

In all seriousness, I can't imagine a player asking a coach if it's a fundraiser. Way to make a dumb first impression. Pay to play all the way.

Comment

In all seriousness, I can't imagine a player asking a coach if it's a fundraiser. Way to make a dumb first impression. Pay to play all the way.
                        I do agree it would certainly come off as an arrogant kid if they asked the question that way. My daughter was being recruited by a WCC school and when they invited her for a visit she asked if should attend one of their iD camps and the coach responded "save your money as we see you play enough and it is just a moneymaker for our program"

Comment

I do agree it would certainly come off as an arrogant kid if they asked the question that way. My daughter was being recruited by a WCC school and when they invited her for a visit she asked if should attend one of their iD camps and the coach responded "save your money as we see you play enough and it is just a moneymaker for our program"
                          PAC 12 coach responded the same way when our daughter asked what he thought about her transferring to another local oregon club that was registered in the ECNL. he said 'save your money, we have seen you enough, (that league) is simply a money pit for Oregon families. Bottom line stay where you're at.

It's nice when the coaches are honest with the players and looking out for the financial well being of families.

Comment

If you get multiple impersonal, unsolicited emails they just want your money. If the email is personal (I saw you at x event. I liked how you did y. You might be a good fit. I'd like to invite you...) then it is more likely to be genuine. However f they saw you play then you had invited them to watch you - in other words a conversation and expression of interest was there. It's rare that a coach is just shopping, notices you and seeks you out.

One way to dig is ask them how big the camp is. Avoid anything over 75 unless there's no other way to be seen. Small, one day camps are the best.

Comment

PAC 12 coach responded the same way when our daughter asked what he thought about her transferring to another local oregon club that was registered in the ECNL. he said 'save your money, we have seen you enough, (that league) is simply a money pit for Oregon families. Bottom line stay where you're at.

It's nice when the coaches are honest with the players and looking out for the financial well being of families.
                              The irony to that statement is just look at all the PAC 12 rosters and that a majority are ECNL. I also know some girls who rcvd PAC 12 offers were contingent they kept playing ECNL

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X