Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not everyone but..you have the skhs coaches at rams and the relationship of GE and url connection with some of the SC coaches...especially ones with young talent..nep draw is big so that is something rams will need to figure out..banking on region 1 league not what it used to be
    Considering they're pretty much the only premier level team from RI that plays in Maple, what keeps them relevant? And by that, I guess I mean both the Rams AND Maple. Either the Rams join the NEP or they wither on the vine.

Comment

Considering they're pretty much the only premier level team from RI that plays in Maple, what keeps them relevant? And by that, I guess I mean both the Rams AND Maple. Either the Rams join the NEP or they wither on the vine.
      Would be true if they were up north in SE Mass..but down in South County..what's the draw to stay with GPS when your HS coaches are with the RAMS and when blood is thicker than water when it comes to some coaches. RAMS and GPS will both lose the elite to a northern club anyway as those parents will make the commitment for a Bayside, NEFC, etc.

Maybe by playing in NEP as u12 those parents would find moving back to MAPLE a problem..but again, those few elite players not looking to stay with GPS South either by the time they get to u14 and higher..those teams won't have the talent when it goes to 11 v 11 (hence the 9 v 9 movement is a good thing for some clubs..)

Hard to tell what the GPS business model is..maybe cutting a deal with RAMS but hard to see RAMS giving up the URI connection..most of the kids at RAMS (and in that area) are simply HS and maybe a few D3 so honestly, MAPLE is just fine and knowing you'll have a good shot at State Cup and Regionals, even though those are now second rate..

SR is not going anywhere..hard to say about DP as his girls team is now HS eligible so maybe if RIIL changes rule.. RAMS fills a void, especially given the incompetent leadership in NK youth soccer and some of the other local associations..the smart thing for that area would be a collaborative agreement where GPS ran just truly elite teams in NEP, RAMS scooped up the next for MAPLE, and the other associations combined to fill them and then put their remaining kids in superliga under a 4-6 town mass pool..under one centralized administration where parents would simply pick for rec the location best for them..

Comment

Would be true if they were up north in SE Mass..but down in South County..what's the draw to stay with GPS when your HS coaches are with the RAMS and when blood is thicker than water when it comes to some coaches. RAMS and GPS will both lose the elite to a northern club anyway as those parents will make the commitment for a Bayside, NEFC, etc.

Maybe by playing in NEP as u12 those parents would find moving back to MAPLE a problem..but again, those few elite players not looking to stay with GPS South either by the time they get to u14 and higher..those teams won't have the talent when it goes to 11 v 11 (hence the 9 v 9 movement is a good thing for some clubs..)

Hard to tell what the GPS business model is..maybe cutting a deal with RAMS but hard to see RAMS giving up the URI connection..most of the kids at RAMS (and in that area) are simply HS and maybe a few D3 so honestly, MAPLE is just fine and knowing you'll have a good shot at State Cup and Regionals, even though those are now second rate..

SR is not going anywhere..hard to say about DP as his girls team is now HS eligible so maybe if RIIL changes rule.. RAMS fills a void, especially given the incompetent leadership in NK youth soccer and some of the other local associations..the smart thing for that area would be a collaborative agreement where GPS ran just truly elite teams in NEP, RAMS scooped up the next for MAPLE, and the other associations combined to fill them and then put their remaining kids in superliga under a 4-6 town mass pool..under one centralized administration where parents would simply pick for rec the location best for them..
        The RAMS program would be better with KF as their Technical Director. SR doesn't have a clue, and parents hate him.

Comment

The RAMS program would be better with KF as their Technical Director. SR doesn't have a clue, and parents hate him.
          Unfortunately all of the options are located in the northern part of the state where they can draw from the MA pool. If you are from Westerly and want to play premier soccer, do you hop into CT and play there (I think the CT Southeast Premier club is in New London).

What is the fundamental reason a premier club has been unable to become established in the southern part of the state... is it simply that the player pool is too shallow?

Comment

Unfortunately all of the options are located in the northern part of the state where they can draw from the MA pool. If you are from Westerly and want to play premier soccer, do you hop into CT and play there (I think the CT Southeast Premier club is in New London).

What is the fundamental reason a premier club has been unable to become established in the southern part of the state... is it simply that the player pool is too shallow?
            No disrespect meant but it's a small state. Driving from Westerly to Smithfield or Seekonk is a hike, if you are in NK it's a little more manageable. There isn't too many miles between the 2 towns but it's enough to make it unmanageable. If I lived in your area I'd check out clubs between you and Hartford. There isn't enough talent to draw from in the lower half of the state for a club to establish a decent program for various age groups.

Comment

In time

Southern RI has always had a stigma vs. Premier clubs that they are going to take their players. Meaning belief in players are theirs and no one else's.

SC has removed that curtain and OSS has a team under GPS and Bruno I believe. It's the younger age groups establishing the premier program at SC and in time with more training opportunities/programs the area will produce better players overall. EWG has NE Revs partnership and academy programs started for this year, and now southern RI, a place that seemed in desperate need of reform has shown what seems like change for the good. I hope they all continue to evolve and in so many words, catch up to the level of other state programs.

It will be interesting to see how things take shape over the next 2-3 years.

Comment

What is the fundamental reason a premier club has been unable to become established in the southern part of the state... is it simply that the GENE pool is too shallow?
                Fixed it for you.

Comment

I would say Rams has seen and helped develop some quality players. The boys u15 team went undefeated at the region 1 championships (against nationally ranked teams) and players on the boys and girls teams at the older level are playing quality soccer and planning on continuing to play in college. Rams is a good club for those that don't have the means to travel to MA and CT multiple times a week for practice.

Comment

I would say Rams has seen and helped develop some quality players. The boys u15 team went undefeated at the region 1 championships (against nationally ranked teams) and players on the boys and girls teams at the older level are playing quality soccer and planning on continuing to play in college. Rams is a good club for those that don't have the means to travel to MA and CT multiple times a week for practice.
                    Here is how I see it at the regional. The PAE team just got smashed by NYE and they were demoralized knowing their shot at semi is pretty much done. Dixie was in the semi already didn't want the risk the starters get hurt so your team was in a perfect position to take advantage of the situation. If you made the semi then I can stay you performed exceptionally well at regional. However, having say that kudos to your team for not losing a game at regional.

Comment

Resurrecting a dead thread I know, but I didn't want to start a new one.

What league are Rams teams playing in this year? Looking at the NSL schedule, they only have U12/U13 boys and U13 girls even listed.

Comment

NSL is only showing fall schedule, the older teams only play in the spring. Save your money and play somewhere else that's actually worth your hard earned money!

Comment

Resurrecting a dead thread I know, but I didn't want to start a new one.

What league are Rams teams playing in this year? Looking at the NSL schedule, they only have U12/U13 boys and U13 girls even listed.
                          They have that many??

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X