Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You obviously know nothing. This ain’t D3. If a kid is signing an honest to goodness NLI the admissions part is really just a formality. D1 coaches get automatic admits. They just need to stay within the lines they are given. If the paper the kid is offered is a real NLI there is nothing to wait on, the kid is in and they are getting money. It’s cut and dry. Anyone who is waiting on an admissions letter ain’t signing a NLI.
    Not at every school. Some athletes are on the cusp (or not even close) and admittance isn't guaranteed until admissions says so

Comment

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dr-e3nPUUAAcxmj.jpg:large

love the picture of a D3 signing.......
      Before I agree, can someone clarify exactly what these students are signing?

Comment

It is really so hard for people here to be happy for kids that are not D1 or D2? It is an exciting time for any child that is committed to play at the college level, regardless of the division. If it represents what they want and an academic fit why make fun of it? Let them have their photo op, even if D3 doesn't actually require an official signing.

Comment

I agree with you and they can just wear a shirt and make it a photo op which is still an honor. But, to act like your signing a legal contract for athletic money is disingenuous just like it would be for someone going D1 or D2 with no money and therefore no contract to sign

Comment

The whole thing is wierd. Are they going to do photo ops for the kids admitted for academic prowess?, Marching band?, Ballet?, Robotics stars? What is with the athlete photo ops for where they will attend college?

Comment

I agree with you and they can just wear a shirt and make it a photo op which is still an honor. But, to act like your signing a legal contract for athletic money is disingenuous just like it would be for someone going D1 or D2 with no money and therefore no contract to sign
              This gets debated every year. Let the kids have their moments. Families and schools want to express their pride in their students. The readers of local papers and grandparents don't understand the difference nor do they care. Playing any sport in college Is an accomplishment few attain.

Comment

This gets debated every year. Let the kids have their moments. Families and schools want to express their pride in their students. The readers of local papers and grandparents don't understand the difference nor do they care. Playing any sport in college Is an accomplishment few attain.
                Yes as are many other accomplishments? Why do they just do this thing for athletes?

Comment

Yes as are many other accomplishments? Why do they just do this thing for athletes?
                  Why are college sports the only college activity broadcast on TV weekly? It’s becauae they are sports and they are popular and this is just part of it. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.

Comment

Why are college sports the only college activity broadcast on TV weekly? It’s becauae they are sports and they are popular and this is just part of it. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.
                    Just looking at the situation. All that money swirling areou d college sports is not going to the athletes. The business and math majors are the ones profiting. Are these athletes being taken advantage of when the ling term financial rewards going to students focused academically.

I don't have the answers but looking at the situation it seems out of wack. My kid is great at soccer and loves it like every other ts reader. I try to combat this over glorification of athletic prowess with a hard dose of reality and it would be nice to get some back up from the school districts. Also Glorify other hard work that can lead to greater future success imo.

Comment

Not at every school. Some athletes are on the cusp (or not even close) and admittance isn't guaranteed until admissions says so
                      Wake up.. they are not signing a NLI then, that's a whole different situation than what you are obviously looking at.

Comment

There is not much of an interest to watch kids debate or be a mathlete. Feel free to start an academic cable channel if you think there is. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

Just looking at the situation. All that money swirling areou d college sports is not going to the athletes. The business and math majors are the ones profiting. Are these athletes being taken advantage of when the ling term financial rewards going to students focused academically.

I don't have the answers but looking at the situation it seems out of wack. My kid is great at soccer and loves it like every other ts reader. I try to combat this over glorification of athletic prowess with a hard dose of reality and it would be nice to get some back up from the school districts. Also Glorify other hard work that can lead to greater future success imo.
                          Honestly, you have the wrong attitude IF your kid is actually great. If they are, they have a talent and what you are really trying to tamp it down and redirect it into some other pastime. What happens if your kid's soccer playing ability IS what sets them apart in the world, are you really doing them any favors. I have a similar kid, awesome soccer player AND an awesome student though better soccer player than student. The thing is we knew the soccer was going to open doors that the academics wouldn't and that is exactly the way things played out. As the parent you don't have to love the way the whole situation works to help your kid navigate it all and parlay their soccer playing ability into a great destination but you can't look down your nose and refuse to play the game either.

Comment

There is not much of an interest to watch kids debate or be a mathlete. Feel free to start an academic cable channel if you think there is. Let us know how it works out.
                            Are the athletes getting taken advantage of? Do what u want. I see better ultimate opportunities for my athlete in academic pursuits and will advise as I see fit regardless of the message coming from the school.

Comment

In most districts those kids get accolades as well as schools are just as proud, if not more so, about academic achievements. Local papers are always dying for content.

Comment

A few years ago NCAA Div III created a template for Div III schools to use for "celebratory signings" Top of the form:
                                "I, (first and last name), have been accepted to (name of school), an NCAA Division III institution. In addition to my academic responsibilities, I intend to participate in the sport(s) of (name of sport(s) during the (year) academic year. "

also note a caveat at the end of the form:
                                "This form commemorates my choice to attend (name of institution). By signing this form, I embrace the Division III philosophy. I also understand my signature neither obligates me to attend the institution, noted above, and participate in athletics nor does it guarantee me a roster position. "

Who knows which Div III schools use the actual NCAA template, but I would imagine all of them use something similar. NCAA Div III website also warns against using these before a student is officially admitted as the real content of this form is acknowleding the student is admitted.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X