X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Reasons Why The Business of Youth Soccer is Stifling Player Development

https://ciaramccormack.com/2015/01/1...r-development/

I didn’t really get it until I was in the throes of it, but youth soccer has become a business. Like a giant sized insane business.

I’ve been on a bit of a documentary kick lately, and I can’t help but start to see that once any industry starts to grow and make a lot of money, quality starts becoming the least of the concern, especially if it is at the expense of the profit margin.

While we accept and understand this for something like clothing, or food, it’s kind of weird to think about soccer in the same context, and especially difficult to reconcile the imagery of an adorable 9 year old in pigtails being connected to a mega million dollar industry.

But just like when we start getting sick from our food, or our clothing starts falling apart or we hear about awful working conditions for those that make them, do we start examining what is going on and it usually has to do with integrity and quality getting thrown down the drain in the name of the almighty dollar.

Although I am not directly equating the consequences of bad soccer with the perils of child labour or cancer causing chemicals, it also makes me think a very eloquent “duh” when people wonder why North American soccer is nowhere near what it should be for the abundance of resources and numbers that we have.

And because of this, I now present 3 Reasons Why The Business of Youth Soccer is Stifling Player Development

1. Dolla Bills Kills Spirit

It’s a cheesy cliche line, but it’s true. TEAM: Together Everyone Achieves More.

Money in my opinion has killed this spirit of togetherness as unfortunately greed and insecurity rule the day.

Instead of believing that there is more than enough of the pie to go around, and that a person is good enough to attract the numbers to have some pie, instead the youth soccer scene has become vicious. The more money at stake the worse the behavior.

In an ideal world, for the benefit for players, when I say spirit I mean working together with others, showing integrity in the competitive process of competing fairly against other clubs, showing respect for others, all those wonderful intangibles that when they are functioning properly make for a good collaborative experience for all involved, even with those on the competing sideline.

I didn’t get the full insanity of it, until another local club waged a full out assault on the 9 year olds that we had committed on our roster last year. I had to see it to believe it, but there was 5 paragraph emails that threatened doors closing and no college future if they weren’t going to join their club to nightly phone calls being dodged until the parents had to listen to the sales pitch on the phone, that resembled a nasty political campaign, fraught with disparaging the competition.

Call me naive, but I thought the voracity of the relentless calling and emailing was a little crazy and excessive, even by the standards of the winning loving United States, to put so much weight into pursuing 9 year olds.

That was, until I stepped back and did the math.

In this era, top level youth soccer clubs charge around $2500 per player. For a 10 year old that has another 8 years until she graduates into college, that is a $20,000 win assuming that in all likelihood that player will stay with the club. All of a sudden it is evident to see how greed has oiled fear mongering of parents of naive 10 year olds and whereby creating animosity with other clubs is an accepted part of the job,

At the end of the madness lies a very fat paycheck, often the dirtier you are willing to do your job.

From the professional women’s game standpoint, often times, these clubs are seen as direct competition for the youth clubs and the players that they hope to inspire.

It seems like common sense that if my business could be adversely affected by something, even if it was positive role models to my players, that I would do what I could do not promote this competing business. I’d argue that that is one reason why pro women’s soccer has struggled in the country, especially in areas where there are a lot of girls playing.

It’s not about what’s best for the player or a respect for the beautiful game. It all goes back to doing whatever it takes for a bigger bottom line.

2. Quality Development Clashes with the Bottom Line

When a soccer club is looking at their budget there are certain things that stand out as major expenses.

Things like coaching staffs and field costs would be two big expenses, which also happen to be 2 of the more important things in player development.

For young players where by development and technique correction is key, having a large number of coaches on the field correcting is an important component to developing fantastic soccer players in their crucial development years.

So too is having the field space and time to properly execute technique and training.

Yet, how many times do you see five teams smashed on to one field, or one overwhelmed coach standing alone with 15-20 young charges in front of him. Often the solution is to just throw the kids on the field and have them play, but this again is like instructing a child to write an essay when they haven’t even learned how to structure a sentence.

And if you are from a place with a nasty winter? Field space costs time, and therefore training once or twice a week max is the norm, which any high level club will tell you is prohibitive for maximum player development.

Quality costs money, and many soccer businesses choose not to spend it.

3. The Consumer Doesn’t Understand What Quality Looks Like

If I’m a wine connoisseur and I can put hundred dollar grapes to make a glass of wine (I’m obviously not a wine connoisseur and have no idea how this process works, but work with me here), but the people that I’m serving the grapes to, have no idea how to decipher a 3 dollar glass from a 300 hundred dollar glass, is it really that motivating for me to put together a top quality product?

With soccer, and I do think it is changing somewhat, but historically, parents watching sessions or signing their children up for programs, have no idea what a good program looks like. If I had a son who played baseball, I too, would have absolutely no clue what to gauge as a good program.

Therefore, if I am a business owner, I have no accountability for a good product, since my consumer has no idea what it looks like. I can just tell them its top notch wine and they will believe me because they don’t know any better.

Subsequently, what is my motivation to put together an expensive, top notch glass of wine, when I can serve 2 buck chucks and no one knows the difference.

Except for in soccer the 2 buck chucks (Grocery store wine for my Canadian friends that are totally confused about what I am talking about) turn out to be lacking players.

That being said, I think this will start to change as more people who have played college soccer start watching their kids practice, such as my All-American roommate from UConn who has three little ones.

She told me the other day when she was in town for a visit, half laughing, half horrified that she had to nicely tell her son’s club that she was switching to go somewhere else, when she watched a weeks worth of practices where a bunch of 6 year olds played a game called “The Kill Drill” where a ball would be put into the middle and the little boys would run out and smash into each other while trying to win the soccer ball.

Chances are little Messi never played a game of Kill Drill in his life and most consumers of the product would see it as a competitive drill, when a true soccer developer would watch the hands of time tick with wasted time to help that child reach their potential.

The question becomes then, what needs to change to improve the development of soccer players?

We’ll save that for another blog coming soon.

Any feedback? Find me on twitter @ciaramccormack

How the business of youth soccer changed the player-coach relationship

http://www.soccerwire.com/blog-posts...-relationship/

Note: This is the first in a weekly column by Joe Dougherty, a longtime soccer coach, writer and former player from Northern Virginia. Dougherty has coached high level youth soccer since 1987 at Braddock Road Youth Club, McLean Youth Soccer, Great Falls Soccer Club, VSA Heat and Arlington Soccer Association. He has coached players who have gone on to play professionally in MLS and other top leagues, and even make the U.S. Men’s National Team.

There are two kinds of Christmas tree ornaments: fillers, and those special ornaments that get triple-wrapped. In my house, one of the most special is shiny blue that simply says, “Vultures.”

I was given that ornament as a youngster, when I played for the 1965 Vultures in Braddock Road Youth Club. Back in the day, there was no U-whatever to signify an age group. It was all done by calendar year, not school year. And the ’65 Vultures was a special group.

So special that, nearly 30 years after our last game together, nearly half of us got together last weekend to celebrate the life of our coach, Marty Kilfeather.

Coach K, who passed away Jan. 5, was our coach, friend and mentor. Indeed, I would argue he is the kind of coach that is very rare these days.

Youth soccer is far different now than in the 1970s and 1980s. The word “academy” was a scholastic term only, and almost nobody knew of Johan Cruyff, not to mention the Cruyff cut you often see in a youth game today.

Imagine taking your child to a town in Long Island and dropping her off for the weekend with a family you have never met. Sound crazy? Well, that was standard operating procedure for away tournaments in the 70s and 80s. It was called “housing,” and if your club hosted a tournament, you were expected to welcome a visiting child or two into your home for the weekend.

Where were the parents? At a hotel, of course! I think it’s safe to say that as much as we players loved going to tournaments, our parents enjoyed it even more. The many Vultures parents with whom I spoke this weekend confirmed my suspicion.

Today, of course, that idea sounds preposterous. Tournament hotel expenses are like car payments – travel soccer families will always have them. Indeed, tournaments now demand teams stay at certain hotels or risk getting rejected by the event.

The style of soccer was different then, too. There were exceptional teams that could easily compete with the top youth teams of today. The ’59 Annandale Red Wings, the ’62 Annandale Spartans, the ’65 Braddock Road Eagles and Montgomery United Pintos were outstanding teams.

Today, however, there are more good teams, and far more good players, than even 10 years ago, not to mention 30 years ago. Today’s middle-of-the-pack NCSL Division 3 team would easily be a competitive Division I team. The large number of quality NCAA Division III programs illustrates how many good players there are today.

VESBRoll-sideline-refereeIn 1981, “possess the ball!” was not routinely shouted from the sideline, as it is today. Just about every team played with a sweeper and stopper. Flat back four? Hardly. As a sweeper myself, I thoroughly enjoyed whacking the ball down the field as far as I could kick it. Hitting the crossbar from midfield was not difficult.

Other than perhaps Stoke City or the Norwegian National Team, one won’t find much Route 1 soccer today. It’s all about possession, player movement and quality skill. That existed 30 years ago, but not like it does today.

But perhaps the biggest difference today is the player-coach relationship. And that brings us back to Coach K.

Marty Kilfeather was more than a soccer coach. He was truly a second father to many on the Vultures. On the sideline he was the demanding coach who knew how to motivate. And he was also the patient parent, aware of our personal tribulations and always there to help when needed.

Coach K was particularly special for me. I was just 10 years old when my father passed away, and travel soccer quickly became a job. The pressure to win was as intense then as it is now, and I wanted no part of it. I avoided contact, found no pleasure in the game, and seldom kicked the ball in my carport as I used to.

I was soon cut from my team. To this day, I remember telling my mom with a tear-streaked face, “I’m never playing soccer again!”

That’s when my mom turned to Coach K. I was warmly welcomed by the Vultures, and soon found myself enjoying the game as I did before my dad’s passing. The families welcomed the Doughertys as if we had always been on the team, which I know now must have been a true blessing to my mom, given I had two brothers and two sisters going through their own emotional pains at that time.

+Read: Manchester United’s Tony Strudwick shares youth development philosophy

sw CFCCoach K was not an A-licensed coach with a FIFA Badge and NSCAA National Diploma. Nor did he pretend to be. He kept the game simple, taught us the fundamentals of receiving, passing, crossing and shooting, and gave us the big picture talk before games. If we played below our potential, he let us know it. And when we played hard – maybe not well, but hard – his toothy smile was ear-to-ear.

Off the field, the Vultures were true friends. There was never any concern about a player leaving for another team. It was a Brothers-in-Arms mentality, and the idea of moving to a different club was nearly traitorous.

Today, of course, club-hopping is not unusual. Teams often are not made up of kids from a neighborhood or one or two schools. Instead, players from Manassas, Woodbridge, Loudoun, Bethesda and Annapolis could all be on the same team. Full-time coaches don’t have much time developing relationships with players today because they coach three or four different teams; the idea of truly knowing and understanding a kid is hard when you are responsible for 65 or more of them.

Sitting down to enjoy a beverage with some of the team’s parents? Not encouraged. After all, people might talk. “Why is coach talking with those parents? Should I be over there? Does this mean my son will lose playing time?” Coaches realize they’re better off keeping their distance from parents and players. Scholarships are on the line. Youth soccer has become a business.

Stafford Revolution 00G Blue U-13s coach Jonita Hooker speaks to one of her players at the 2013 Capital Fall Classic.And that’s a shame, because I know many of today’s youth coaches would love to replicate what we had with the Vultures. Today’s travel coaches, for the most part, are not in it for the money. They are teachers at heart, and they want to share their love and joy of the Beautiful Game with a new generation of players.

Can the family friendly days of yesteryear be combined with today’s youth soccer environment? I think so. Here’s how:
    •If you’re a parent, get to know your coach. Learn what he or she does for a living, what makes them want to coach, and why they love the game so much. Develop a relationship beyond a check-cutter and carpooler. And let the coach know that you have his or her back, regardless of results.
    •If you’re a player, talk with your coach. Share ideas, ask questions, and let the coach know that you enjoyed a practice (or if you thought one didn’t work so well, and why). Be respectful, and don’t treat him or her as a peer. If you have a thought about how a game is going, share it respectfully. Over time, the two of you should develop a mutual respect and friendship that will last a lifetime.
    •If you’re a team manager, arrange off-the-field events with the team’s families, particularly during the offseason. Parents often go an entire season without exchanging a friendly word with another parent. And invite the coach!
    •If you’re a coach, make yourself available to parents after practices. Drop the “U.S. Soccer staff” speak and talk to them like a colleague on a mission to help the parent’s child become the best person he or she can be. Yes, you’ll get burned once in a while by an unhinged parent. But the relationship you build will most likely strengthen your effort to help the player grow on the field and off.

Coach Kilfeather’s legacy remains strong in the Vultures. That’s because he created a family culture. The Vultures won many more games than we lost, and my teammates and I shared some great on-the-field stories this weekend. But what meant the most to us was the tremendous influence Coach K was to all of us. I have coached youth soccer every year since 1988, and I hope I am giving back as much as I was given by Coach K. That is a wonderful legacy.

Comment

and then there is this...

Model Soccer Clubs Brett Thompson Brett Thompson Region 2 Girls ODP US Youth Soccer National Staff Coach CUSA Executive Director

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/assets/...odel_Clubs.pdf

The Business of Youth Soccer

http://history.msu.edu/iss328/files/...s_2010_ch9.pdf

Comment

Whatever. My kids are enjoying themselves. They're in shape. They now socialize with kids they would never have met otherwise. Maybe soccer purists are the problem?

Comment

I got about 3 paragraphs into your first post before I realized it was all senseless drivel.

Comment

I, on the other hand, LOVED it. Very thoughtful and very accurate. Thank you for posting it. (No, I'm not the OP)

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I, on the other hand, LOVED it. Very thoughtful and very accurate. Thank you for posting it. (No, I'm not the OP)
              Thanks, OP. What did you LOVE?

Interesting how, shall we say, flexible, some of these concerns play out.

Youth soccer as a business is bad, especially when talking about rival clubs.

When talking about your own club then business savvy and boardroom power are touted as the keys to success and advertised as a basis for choosing your club.

For other clubs, so-called "marketing" is merely 'hype.'

When it's your club "marketing" is 'genius.'

When the top league is where the rivals play then leagues are overblown and not important at all.

When a proposed top league includes your club then no one could ever accomplish anything without being a part of it.

Hmmm....what word would best describe such obvious and self-serving flip-flopping?

Comment

When talking about your own club then business savvy and boardroom power are touted as the keys to success and advertised as a basis for choosing your club.

When the top league is where the rivals play then leagues are overblown and not important at all.

When a proposed top league includes your club then no one could ever accomplish anything without being a part of it.

Hmmm....what word would best describe such obvious and self-serving flip-flopping?
                The word: TS!

Comment

You must need a mirror because you are actually referencing yourself and many of the attitudes you have championed here over the years. Now that your club is so obviously sucking wind you have the gall to point fingers and criticize. What a clown.

Comment

You must need a mirror because you are actually referencing yourself and many of the attitudes you have championed here over the years. Now that your club is so obviously sucking wind you have the gall to point fingers and criticize. What a clown.
                    I never championed a thing. Always just responded to you and called out your pathologically self-serving narcissism. You are the man in the portrait described above. You, and only you.

Comment

I didn’t get the full insanity of it, until another local club waged a full out assault on the 9 year olds that we had committed on our roster last year. I had to see it to believe it, but there was 5 paragraph emails that threatened doors closing and no college future if they weren’t going to join their club to nightly phone calls being dodged until the parents had to listen to the sales pitch on the phone, that resembled a nasty political campaign, fraught with disparaging the competition.

Call me naive, but I thought the voracity of the relentless calling and emailing was a little crazy and excessive, even by the standards of the winning loving United States, to put so much weight into pursuing 9 year olds.

That was, until I stepped back and did the math.

In this era, top level youth soccer clubs charge around $2500 per player. For a 10 year old that has another 8 years until she graduates into college, that is a $20,000 win assuming that in all likelihood that player will stay with the club. All of a sudden it is evident to see how greed has oiled fear mongering of parents of naive 10 year olds and whereby creating animosity with other clubs is an accepted part of the job,

At the end of the madness lies a very fat paycheck, often the dirtier you are willing to do your job.

From the professional women’s game standpoint, often times, these clubs are seen as direct competition for the youth clubs and the players that they hope to inspire.

It seems like common sense that if my business could be adversely affected by something, even if it was positive role models to my players, that I would do what I could do not promote this competing business. I’d argue that that is one reason why pro women’s soccer has struggled in the country, especially in areas where there are a lot of girls playing.
                      Definitely puts all of the DA bashing into perspective, eh Perspective? Sort of reads like the propaganda your club puts out.

Comment

Definitely puts all of the DA bashing into perspective, eh Perspective? Sort of reads like the propaganda your club puts out.
                        What are you today, BTNT? Attacking clubs for being a "business" or glorifying them for boardroom expertise?

The duplicities continue, lol.

Comment

See GPS Desperation thread for local proof of concept.

Comment

Seriously? Back off Jack (I'm NOT the OP...).

The costs are ridiculous. As Bill Veeck once said. It is not the price of the stars that will kill baseball - it's the high price of mediocrity....

True story. Friend has adult son with kids 8 and 10 who are heavily involved in youth sports. Typical crazy sideline parents. D1 dreams dancing in their heads? (The kids actually kind of suck truth be told). Well he and his wife have gotten so deep in debt from home equity loans and credit cards paying for 1 on 1 training camps leagues etc. THEIR parents (retired in their 70's...) had to take out a mortgage to bail out their son and daughter in law. Rather than paying down debt they used THAT money for more camps and training. TOTAL INSANITY.

Comment

How sad that a potentially thoughtful post went downhill so fast.

That in itself speaks volumes of those involved with youth soccer.

Thanks to the OP for the post. I don't think we'll see a major change anytime soon. That would involve parents actually getting involved in ways other than writing the check.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X