Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on leagues

Just getting into the club thing this year. Got a boy doing it for first time. Googling some stuff on leagues led me here. I can't seem to find any explanation of the leagues anywhere. I never played soccer so it's all new to me. I don't particularly care what level my kids team plays but just wondering what it all means. I've read a bunch of the threads and I see there's a bunch of different leagues clubs play in. Can someone run me down a list in order of best to worst? Unless theres no clear cut order? Some of it's confusing because I see stuff on nep website about npl and I thought those were two different leagues, so maybe different divisions in same league? I don't know if missing any but here's a list of leagues I've seen in threads..

League revolution youth teams play in, forget name
    ECNL
    Region 1
    National league
    MAPLE
    NEP
    NPL
    NEC

I don't know if the list would be different for boys vs girls but I have a boy.

I not trying to promote any league or anything like that. Just a newbie trying to learn a little.

You don't care, but you care, but you don't, but you do. And you know nothing but you googled and found everything and listed all the league's but you couldn't find name of the league the Revs youth teams play in.

"...just wondering what it all means."

Too, too funny.

Comment

Well, at least he did not put MAPLE on top!

Comment

OK, I'll bite

ECNL & DAP
        NPL
        Region 1
        National League
        NEP
        MAPLE
        NEC (who knows, has not started yet)

My kids have played in NPL/Region 1, Maple and NEP, so for boys, this IS the order at the current time. A few years ago, Region 1 was legit, but has dropped a bit.

Comment

And what's the relationship between NEP and NPL? I see all kinds of NPL stuff on NEP's website. Do you have to win at NEP to get promoted to NPL or is it just owned by the same people or something? I don't see why NEP is advertising NPL.

Thanks for answering. I've read of bunch of the stuff here so I know I'm gonna get blasted but I just can't seem to find this stuff really spelled out anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            And what's the relationship between NEP and NPL? I see all kinds of NPL stuff on NEP's website. Do you have to win at NEP to get promoted to NPL or is it just owned by the same people or something? I don't see why NEP is advertising NPL.

Thanks for answering. I've read of bunch of the stuff here so I know I'm gonna get blasted but I just can't seem to find this stuff really spelled out anywhere.
            Please stop.

Comment

Both run by US Club Soccer. NPL is higher than NEP, with many clubs putting their top teams in New England NPL and rest of their teams in NEP (and now also NEC moving forward). On girls side only, ECNL clubs (also run by US Club Soccer) put their second teams in Northeast NPL and rest of their teams in NEP. DAP is currently boys top league. DAP clubs may also put their second teams and below in NPL and NEP.

MAPLE is run by US Youth Soccer and has no access to NEP, NPL or ECNL.

Comment

OK, I'll bite

ECNL & DAP
                NPL
                Region 1
                National League
                NEP
                MAPLE
                NEC (who knows, has not started yet)

My kids have played in NPL/Region 1, Maple and NEP, so for boys, this IS the order at the current time. A few years ago, Region 1 was legit, but has dropped a bit.
                Maybe this order is legit?
                Keep in mind that there are levels/divisions in each league. Many MAPLE teams are better than NPL and NEP teams.

Comment

Thanks for the real answers. I know the question seemed dumb to you all.

Comment

Maybe this order is legit?
                    Keep in mind that there are levels/divisions in each league. Many MAPLE teams are better than NPL and NEP teams.
                    I would disagree with 'many', but maybe a few are better than NEP teams, but not 'many '

Comment

Doesn't it look more like...

Highest...
                      ECNL NPL
                      NEP1
                      NEP2
                      NEP3 Maple1
                      NEP4 Maple2
                      NEP5 NEC1 Maple 3
                      etc, etc,
                      Rec
                      Lowest...you get it - without taking into account the various divisions within each league you sort of ignore the fact that a MAPLE team can compete with NEP teams at various levels - obviously the above is not really accurate but it provides some context.

Comment

Just getting into the club thing this year. Got a boy doing it for first time. Googling some stuff on leagues led me here. I can't seem to find any explanation of the leagues anywhere. I never played soccer so it's all new to me. I don't particularly care what level my kids team plays but just wondering what it all means. I've read a bunch of the threads and I see there's a bunch of different leagues clubs play in. Can someone run me down a list in order of best to worst? Unless theres no clear cut order? Some of it's confusing because I see stuff on nep website about npl and I thought those were two different leagues, so maybe different divisions in same league? I don't know if missing any but here's a list of leagues I've seen in threads..

League revolution youth teams play in, forget name
                        ECNL
                        Region 1
                        National league
                        MAPLE
                        NEP
                        NPL
                        NEC

I don't know if the list would be different for boys vs girls but I have a boy.

I not trying to promote any league or anything like that. Just a newbie trying to learn a little.
                        Not trying to hijack this thread, but another thing to learn and think about is your high school program and its league. Some leagues and schools are usually very good - most players with several years club soccer experience. But the majority of school teams are so-so. Don't know age of your child, but might be something to be aware of.

Comment

Highest...
                          ECNL NPL
                          NEP1
                          NEP2
                          NEP3 Maple1
                          NEP4 Maple2
                          NEP5 NEC1 Maple 3
                          etc, etc,
                          Rec
                          Lowest...you get it - without taking into account the various divisions within each league you sort of ignore the fact that a MAPLE team can compete with NEP teams at various levels - obviously the above is not really accurate but it provides some context.
                          Any news on the Maple meeting last night?

Comment

Any news on the Maple meeting last night?
                            It is tonight.

Comment

Highest...
                              ECNL NPL
                              NEP1
                              NEP2
                              NEP3 Maple1
                              NEP4 Maple2
                              NEP5 NEC1 Maple 3
                              etc, etc,
                              Rec
                              This is a very good point. Each league in and of itself has different levels and I think the visualization highlights where the levels may overlap. For example, the top teams in the top NEP1 division may compete with the several teams at the bottom of the NPL league. One note on the boys side is that DAP should be at the top above NPL.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X