ISL boys soccer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might be wrong, but I think for PG's they have to be 18 or younger heading into their PG year under NEPSAC rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I might be wrong, but I think for PG's they have to be 18 or younger heading into their PG year under NEPSAC rules.
      You are wrong

Comment

If ISL pulled out, it wouldn't really me much of a "high school league" would it? more like a post-high school league.
        It's definitely not a high school league. Nepsac is at a level above high school but below college.

Comment

Berkshire coach gone?

If this is true, it'd affect outcomes. Where did Berkshire coach go?

Comment

Agree. ISL should pull out of NEPSAC. ISL schools cannot compete in the best school soccer league in the country.
            NEPSAC is an organization with more than 100 schools. To suggest that ISL drop out is ridiculous. A more appropriate approach would be for the soccer factories like SK to withdraw.

Comment

The nepsac rule for a PG is as long as you are 19 on or by the first of September your good to play. So yes you can turn 20 on sept 2nd...

Teams I here have loaded up are:

Worcester after missing out last year for the first time in a while.
              Choate under its new coach in his 2nd year
              Loomis more PG's
              Deerfield with new coach and the 20 mil to improve athletics

Comment

I think the isl will be more balanced this year. Milton last year were pretty much all seniors who had played club and high school together for a long time. Hope to see a good balance and great competition this year. From what I've heard there is a lot of good talent and high level players this year spread throughout the league.

Comment

NEPSAC is an organization with more than 100 schools. To suggest that ISL drop out is ridiculous. A more appropriate approach would be for the soccer factories like SK to withdraw.
                  Nepsac is a league that prides itself on having the best pre-college teams in the country. If the 12 ISL schools are going to cry about having to play against the 100+ preps that allow PG's then it's on the ISL schools to quit. If they don't want to play in the best league in the country and compete with Berkshire, Worcester, South Kent then they can leave. Don't let the door hit ya.

Comment

Last time I checked Milton and Lawrence both won NE titles within the last two years. ISL is doing just fine even without PG's. Top ISL teams can definitely play with anyone in NE. How many titles has Worcester won?

Comment

Yeah, stop the ISL moaning. Instead of taking PGs, the ISLs routinely have new incoming players repeat their junior year so it's roughly equivalent (not sure it's a rule, but it doesn't seem like most take kids only for senior year). Besides, the ISL schools compete just fine.

If the ISL schools cared about everyone matching up perfectly, why would they play in a league composed of some Class A and some Class B schools, and some boarding schools and some day schools? Some say the boarding schools have an advantage (especially the rich ones, who can bring in studs from overseas) and some say the day schools (since they can basically bring in a club team that plays together year round). But like it or not NEPSAC, the ISL schools care more about the ISL league than the NEPSAC tourney (I'd expect some of the other "good" leagues feel the same way, while the independents have only NEPSAC to shoot for as far as winning titles goes).

All that being said, schools like PA, Exeter and Deerfield could kick everyone's butt (except maybe the old Berkshire or SK or schools loaded up with the Right to Dream players) if they wanted to- they have money, size, academic and other reputations that span the globe, ability to grant athletic scholarships, etc.

Comment

Yeah, stop the ISL moaning. Instead of taking PGs, the ISLs routinely have new incoming players repeat their junior year so it's roughly equivalent (not sure it's a rule, but it doesn't seem like most take kids only for senior year). Besides, the ISL schools compete just fine.

If the ISL schools cared about everyone matching up perfectly, why would they play in a league composed of some Class A and some Class B schools, and some boarding schools and some day schools? Some say the boarding schools have an advantage (especially the rich ones, who can bring in studs from overseas) and some say the day schools (since they can basically bring in a club team that plays together year round). But like it or not NEPSAC, the ISL schools care more about the ISL league than the NEPSAC tourney (I'd expect some of the other "good" leagues feel the same way, while the independents have only NEPSAC to shoot for as far as winning titles goes).

All that being said, schools like PA, Exeter and Deerfield could kick everyone's butt (except maybe the old Berkshire or SK or schools loaded up with the Right to Dream players) if they wanted to- they have money, size, academic and other reputations that span the globe, ability to grant athletic scholarships, etc.
                        Your last point is total truth. Old money preps like PA, PE, Deerfield, Choate, Hotchkiss etc could make the simple decision to load up on top talent and blow the other preps away. And they could do it in every sport.

But I'm not so sure the ISL schools view the ISL tournament as more important than the Nepsac tournament any more. Maybe 10 - 15 years ago but not today. Nepsac soccer has plenty of powerhouse teams outside of ISL now. I'd venture to say that Milton players treasure their Nepsac trophy more than their ISL trophy.

Your point about repeat juniors is spot on, too. Tons of them in every sport all over Nepsac including ISL schools. No difference between those kids and PG's.

Comment

Brooks, Belmont Hill, Nobles and Lawrence will be fighting for the top of the league. Milton, Sebs, RL and BBN will be biting at their heels. MR from Nobles, DM from BBN, DS from Brooks and AK from Sebs will compete for player of the year awards. Should be a fun year in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                            Brooks, Belmont Hill, Nobles and Lawrence will be fighting for the top of the league. Milton, Sebs, RL and BBN will be biting at their heels. MR from Nobles, DM from BBN, DS from Brooks and AK from Sebs will compete for player of the year awards. Should be a fun year in the league.
                            I wouldn't dismiss Milton so quickly. They have an excellent program, and you are betting on a giant drop off this year.

Comment

I think the following teams will be fighting for top of the league- BH, BBN, Lawrence, Milton, Brooks and Nobles.

Also, the player of year awards are wide open: Don't want to mention names but players from Middlesex, Lawrence, RL and St. Marks can be added to the mix

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                                I think the following teams will be fighting for top of the league- BH, BBN, Lawrence, Milton, Brooks and Nobles.

Also, the player of year awards are wide open: Don't want to mention names but players from Middlesex, Lawrence, RL and St. Marks can be added to the mix
                                Don't know the kids and agree with not naming names, but it seems unlikely poy will come from a team that doesn't compete for a top spot.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X