Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Trying to gauge interest for an 04 girl...In the last 8 months or so, 2 particular schools have come to several league games, every showcase and every playoff game that my kid has played in. They have both reached out to her coach, multiple times, both Asst.& Head coaches and expressed their interest. They both contacted coach again after Sanford reiterating their interest and that they would like to continue to monitor her progress through the Spring. Neither pushed too hard for her to go to an ID clinic, just that they would like to keep abreast of her schedule for Jeff Cup and PDA showcase. As an aside, my kid did not initiate contact with either school, they both reached out to her coach (last year) after attending games where they were there to see other kids. Since then, she has continuously sent them her schedule.She has not had a phone call with either school yet because they saw her after the cutoff date. Kid is a solid player, checks the boxes on paper-starter-full game player on a good ECNL team, gets the HS accolades, no NTC or YNT events but a couple ID2 invites and she teams to be on par with current rostered players that play (we look mostly at Freshman & Sophomores).

Since their initial contact with her coach, these 2 schools have risen to the top of my kid's wish list heap. Here's the issue: both schools have solid soccer programs and above average academics (one top 50, the other top 75)-both mid-major...but are in the mid 70 grand per year. My kid has the grades to get in without the soccer and will probably get some merit aid, but not a ton and definitely not enough for us to be able to afford the school for all 4 years without substantial athletic $ and we're not crazy about her taking out a ton of loans. Now I know all the warnings about athletic $ going away and I'll have that conversation if/when the time comes, I'm just trying to manage my kid's expectations as to where she may fall on the coaches recruiting list. I'd hate to see her heart break come June!

This is our first time at this with soccer, older daughter plays another sport that was a lot more straightforward. Any insight as to what we should expect would be appreciated.
    What are the rules as far as id clinics or camps? Sometimes you can get clues as to what $$$ they are thinking at the camp or clinic. Then you might know if these are going to meet her or your needs as far as aid either merit, athletic or more.
    Plus gets an inside view of the school, program, players and coaches and expectations.

Comment

Yet another complex and mysterious dilemma situation that fortunately can be solved -- not by involving coaches or real older teammates/families in one's club or other clubs, or hiring someone or asking for a favor to evaluate the kid and the particulars -- by laying this out for the "consultants" on TS. Heck, doesn't everybody realize that deals are closed on Massachusetts TS?
      not the person asking the question but seriously why be a dick. TS can be a knowledge sharing forum and people like you are what ruin it. If you don't have something nice to say....

Comment

What are the rules as far as id clinics or camps? Sometimes you can get clues as to what $$$ they are thinking at the camp or clinic. Then you might know if these are going to meet her or your needs as far as aid either merit, athletic or more.
        Plus gets an inside view of the school, program, players and coaches and expectations.
        Coaches are not allowed to discuss any aspects of recruiting until after sophomore year, not even at ID events. No offers given until September 1 of junior year. If the poster's kid attends events this summer a good sign is if they're put in the top group (many programs split participants and the head coach focuses on that group), she holds her own and they give positive feedback.

Comment

not the person asking the question but seriously why be a dick. TS can be a knowledge sharing forum and people like you are what ruin it. If you don't have something nice to say....
          Take it with a grain of salt. TA is mostly entertainment with an occasional nugget of factual information. Seek real life advice on important decisions.

Comment

Trying to gauge interest for an 04 girl...In the last 8 months or so, 2 particular schools have come to several league games, every showcase and every playoff game that my kid has played in. They have both reached out to her coach, multiple times, both Asst.& Head coaches and expressed their interest. They both contacted coach again after Sanford reiterating their interest and that they would like to continue to monitor her progress through the Spring. Neither pushed too hard for her to go to an ID clinic, just that they would like to keep abreast of her schedule for Jeff Cup and PDA showcase. As an aside, my kid did not initiate contact with either school, they both reached out to her coach (last year) after attending games where they were there to see other kids. Since then, she has continuously sent them her schedule.She has not had a phone call with either school yet because they saw her after the cutoff date. Kid is a solid player, checks the boxes on paper-starter-full game player on a good ECNL team, gets the HS accolades, no NTC or YNT events but a couple ID2 invites and she teams to be on par with current rostered players that play (we look mostly at Freshman & Sophomores).

Since their initial contact with her coach, these 2 schools have risen to the top of my kid's wish list heap. Here's the issue: both schools have solid soccer programs and above average academics (one top 50, the other top 75)-both mid-major...but are in the mid 70 grand per year. My kid has the grades to get in without the soccer and will probably get some merit aid, but not a ton and definitely not enough for us to be able to afford the school for all 4 years without substantial athletic $ and we're not crazy about her taking out a ton of loans. Now I know all the warnings about athletic $ going away and I'll have that conversation if/when the time comes, I'm just trying to manage my kid's expectations as to where she may fall on the coaches recruiting list. I'd hate to see her heart break come June!

This is our first time at this with soccer, older daughter plays another sport that was a lot more straightforward. Any insight as to what we should expect would be appreciated.
            I know it's stressful. But take some deep breaths because unfortunately you have several more months to go before you will know anything certain. The two schools that initiated contact and have seen her a few times sound like good prospects, but not guaranteed. They still may want her at an ID event this spring/summer as they focus on her class. This is good for your player too - she can spend more time with the staff, see how she stacks up vs others and spend more time in campus.

However, don't let her ease up on the gas pedal.
            They could fall away for many reasons, and as a you said the finances still may not work for your family. Make sure she's still working on other good fits for academics, soccer and finances.

I'm not against students taking out the federal loans to have some skin in the game. It means graduating with about $25K in debt with the best rates around. That is workable. Avoid private loans if at all possible. Also take potential grad school into account. Graduating undergrad with no debt makes grad school debt more manageable

Comment

what are hoping ton accomplish with this?
              No one currently on TS has any empathy for the feelings of parents who might have been butt-hurt on the sidelines 8+ years a ago. Seriously, what is your point!

If it is simply that his motivation is impure, who cares?
              Advice is still current: why do remain active on a thread about scholarship offers, when you have never received one?
              So the character and credibility of a person insistent on shoving his agendas down your throat are irrelevant?

Comment

Seems like a bunch of folks have never moved on since u13 and u15. Speaks volumes actually.
                Sorry, BTNT. Nice try, though. What is revealed is just how much of a creepy kook you are....and a real narcissistic jerk as well.

Comment

So the character and credibility of a person insistent on shoving his agendas down your throat are irrelevant?
                  they are only relevant if you have your mouth open all the time. Some of us take whats relevant and ignore the rest. You seem to have the same agenda as you imply he does. You want to tell us how and who to listen to.

Comment

I know it's stressful. But take some deep breaths because unfortunately you have several more months to go before you will know anything certain. The two schools that initiated contact and have seen her a few times sound like good prospects, but not guaranteed. They still may want her at an ID event this spring/summer as they focus on her class. This is good for your player too - she can spend more time with the staff, see how she stacks up vs others and spend more time in campus.

However, don't let her ease up on the gas pedal.
                    They could fall away for many reasons, and as a you said the finances still may not work for your family. Make sure she's still working on other good fits for academics, soccer and finances.

I'm not against students taking out the federal loans to have some skin in the game. It means graduating with about $25K in debt with the best rates around. That is workable. Avoid private loans if at all possible. Also take potential grad school into account. Graduating undergrad with no debt makes grad school debt more manageable
                    What you're against or not against? How grossly presumptuous, BTNT.

Comment

they are only relevant if you have your mouth open all the time. Some of us take whats relevant and ignore the rest. You seem to have the same agenda as you imply he does. You want to tell us how and who to listen to.
                      I don't care who you listen to....and I haven't advised you to do a single thing. This is about exposing who and what the guy really is, and being helpful and philanthropic are galaxies away from his agendas. And can you really endorse someone who very publicly trashed a 14 year old girl for her play as a striker in a state cup game? Would you like to see the posts?

Comment

I don't care who you listen to....and I haven't advised you to do a single thing. This is about exposing who and what the guy really is, and being helpful and philanthropic are galaxies away from his agendas. And can you really endorse someone who very publicly trashed a 14 year old girl for her play as a striker in a state cup game? Would you like to see the posts?
                        Yes...but leave out any names. How do you know he did it? I get the feeling that several posters are answering him/ herself. Kind of what happens in these unnamed posts.

Comment

Is that what started this BTNT stuff? So you have been retorting the same amount of time? And you don't think you are similar? Peas in a pod really.

Comment

Is that what started this BTNT stuff? So you have been retorting the same amount of time? And you don't think you are similar? Peas in a pod really.
                            Exactly. who has any credibility here? you just read and decide what applies to you and doesnt. No way yo can judge anyone here.

Comment

Perhaps the other users are simply trying to inform you about the nature of the person you seem to want to "trust." The same person that created numerous false stories and even fake poster personalities so that he could pursue his agendas. He used these alternate personalities to attack other clubs, coaches and individuals. He was especially good at dropping these false narratives into play right around the time when families were doing tryouts and thinking of switching clubs.

Real trustworthy character.

Comment

Perhaps the other users are simply trying to inform you about the nature of the person you seem to want to "trust." The same person that created numerous false stories and even fake poster personalities so that he could pursue his agendas. He used these alternate personalities to attack other clubs, coaches and individuals. He was especially good at dropping these false narratives into play right around the time when families were doing tryouts and thinking of switching clubs.

Real trustworthy character.
                                And your need to educate everyone about this makes you trust worthy? You really don't see the similarities do you?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X