Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we going back to graduation year from birth year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hey, if your kid doesn't want to play HS they don't have to. No one is forcing them to. Most want to play, some badly enough they either cheat or take advantage of loopholes.
    I didn't say what my kid wants to do, doesn't want to do, did, will do...anything.

You said playing high school was best for kids, and I was asking based on what?

Does it apply only to soccer, or all activities or interests kids have in life?

You've taken time to make a statement, so I was wondering what it was based on.

Comment

Could you please show me 6 ecnl teams at u14 or above that changed half of their players from last year to this year? What the heck teams are these teams?

I am not talking about the special arrangement new 2 team clubs or a club the WC where they changed from gda to ecnl. Just your run of the mill ecnl clubs. Where did this level of change happen last year? We play these teams every year and they do not change like you are describing. Not even close.
      Not the op and totally agree - at most clubs*, not just DA or ECNL, probably at least 75% of a roster is locked by U14, U15 latest. When clubs add players it's either because they think the new player will be a difference-making starter, of they're money hoes looking to plum up a roster. They rarely cut or drop players down to B teams because the parental blowback isn't worth it. Occasionally a spot or two will open up each year because a player decides on their own to leave, but that's about it.

*assuming it's a typical year, which has been rare of late. No age change, no introduction of a new league, no club mergers etc. Just one year to the next average year.

Comment

Not the op and totally agree - at most clubs*, not just DA or ECNL, probably at least 75% of a roster is locked by U14, U15 latest. When clubs add players it's either because they think the new player will be a difference-making starter, of they're money hoes looking to plum up a roster. They rarely cut or drop players down to B teams because the parental blowback isn't worth it. Occasionally a spot or two will open up each year because a player decides on their own to leave, but that's about it.

*assuming it's a typical year, which has been rare of late. No age change, no introduction of a new league, no club mergers etc. Just one year to the next average year.
        Just my gut feeling, but I think we have been seeing, and will see it more, where there is fluctuation at the older age groups (at least post U14). The DA/ECNL hassle is a wrinkle that is new to the environment. I can see people moving around league to league more than before.

Comment

Just my gut feeling, but I think we have been seeing, and will see it more, where there is fluctuation at the older age groups (at least post U14). The DA/ECNL hassle is a wrinkle that is new to the environment. I can see people moving around league to league more than before.
          Yes. But not half a roster every year or even approaching that.

By the teen years, the universe of players with the time and money for such leagues is pretty well set. There is no sudden influx into the group. I

n a normal year ( a few do exist that were free from complete disruption due to age changes or leagues launches), a few roster changes happen as players get on and off the merry go round, but nothing close to half a roster.

Comment

Could you please show me 6 ecnl teams at u14 or above that changed half of their players from last year to this year? What the heck teams are these teams?

I am not talking about the special arrangement new 2 team clubs or a club the WC where they changed from gda to ecnl. Just your run of the mill ecnl clubs. Where did this level of change happen last year? We play these teams every year and they do not change like you are describing. Not even close.
            My D's team plays in ECNL and has 8 new players on the new, 5-6 new to the club, others promoted from the regional team. It's a large roster, but I consider that a pretty big rotation of players considering this is HS aged and in the start/middle of recruiting.

Some of the new players came from NPL, but many are from DA that wanted to make the change to ECNL due to HS. I expect that there will be less change going forward as NEFC has had GDA for a few years now. SSS just made the change and that is causing the turnover. That should work itself out by next year... unless ECNL goes back to grade-based teams. Then I expect more transition.

Comment

Or you could just switch your medication and maybe birth year vs grade year would stop making you such a nut job.

Comment

Or you could just switch your medication and maybe birth year vs grade year would stop making you such a nut job.
                iKR? Who cares. Just pick it out of a hat every other year. Families can just suck it up and quit the whining.

Comment

Hey, if your kid doesn't want to play HS they don't have to. No one is forcing them to. Most want to play, some badly enough they either cheat or take advantage of loopholes.
                  Well they can’t play club soccer during the HS season because league play shuts down to accommodate an unaffiliated organization.

Comment

Well they can’t play club soccer during the HS season because league play shuts down to accommodate an unaffiliated organization.
                    They shouldn't be doing both at the same time - it's too much. Some states even have rules outright banning it or restricting it. No one is forcing non-DA kids to play HS if they don't want to. Kids skipped HS before, and they still can now even if they're not in DA.

Comment

They shouldn't be doing both at the same time - it's too much. Some states even have rules outright banning it or restricting it. No one is forcing non-DA kids to play HS if they don't want to. Kids skipped HS before, and they still can now even if they're not in DA.
                      What club soccer can a HS aged kid play during high school soccer season?

But....but....but "Trapped 8th graders"

Comment

What club soccer can a HS aged kid play during high school soccer season?

But....but....but "Trapped 8th graders"
                        up to a 1/3 of 8th and 12th graders have nowhere to play when their older club teammates are playing HS or graduated already.

Comment

You don't understand the problem.

Under the previous rules, a few members of a team might be off playing high school ball as 9th graders while the majority of the team was still in 8th grade, leaving the team with enough players to play the fall season.

Under the new rules it's the majority of the team being in 9th grade, leaving the 8th graders behind without enough players to play club ball.

And the same problem exists for seniors. Under the old rules only a minority of the team graduated usually leaving enough players behind to play club in their senior year. Now the majority of the team is graduating leaving behind a handful of kids that now have to scramble to find teams.

Comment

You don't understand the problem.

Under the previous rules, a few members of a team might be off playing high school ball as 9th graders while the majority of the team was still in 8th grade, leaving the team with enough players to play the fall season.

Under the new rules it's the majority of the team being in 9th grade, leaving the 8th graders behind without enough players to play club ball.

And the same problem exists for seniors. Under the old rules only a minority of the team graduated usually leaving enough players behind to play club in their senior year. Now the majority of the team is graduating leaving behind a handful of kids that now have to scramble to find teams.
                            I know exactly how it works/worked. I had been responding to this below. Kids shouldn't be doing both at the same time, sometimes they're not allowed to by law, hence the clubs shut down during the HS season. It's a recipe for burnout, bad grades and injuries.

Comment

I know exactly how it works/worked. I had been responding to this below. Kids shouldn't be doing both at the same time, sometimes they're not allowed to by law, hence the clubs shut down during the HS season. It's a recipe for burnout, bad grades and injuries.
                              You actually don’t understand. They are not trying to do both. If they are a late born 8th grader, the rest of their club team is in high school and playing high school soccer. They are not allowed to play club with the remainder of the 8th graders under birth year. So no team at all for them to play on for the fall- hence trapped.

Comment

You actually don’t understand. They are not trying to do both. If they are a late born 8th grader, the rest of their club team is in high school and playing high school soccer. They are not allowed to play club with the remainder of the 8th graders under birth year. So no team at all for them to play on for the fall- hence trapped.
                                And this is a lot of kids. Too many to continue the way it is.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X