X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do coaches look for in tryouts?

Good morning everyone,

My kid is interested in playing for a team at a higher level than the current team. My kid has advanced skill and has speed and strength and a great motor but not experience of the speed and decisions made at a higher level.
    With experience-practices and games at a higher level, he can probably adjust.

if a kid participates in tryouts, can a coach notice the potential in the kid or make the safe decision and just take existing players that have been on a squad for years even if they are not as skilled but have experience and better decisions at that level. Are coaches willing to take a kid, who requires teaching/ training to get up to speed but has a higher upside.

In sum, what are coaches looking for?

Thank you.

Not a coach.

But I tell my son to play differently at tryouts than in games. In tryouts flash counts and winning does not. I tell him to dribble more, try and beat kids, and pass less.

Comment

Unfortunately you should have already been getting him to practices at those clubs rather than wait for tryouts. Many already have their rosters well set and only look for a rare gem at mass tryouts. As for taking chances on new kids? Really varies and is hard to generalize. The more spots available the more they're willing to take a chance. If a roster is mostly closed the new kid generally to be as good as the current starters. many coaches would rather stick with the devil they know - laziness, not risk takers, parental/club politics.

If your kid is a baller he should find something. Other option is stay where you are for the fall so you can take your time to find a better situation over the fall. In premier, especailly at the older ages, PT is earned. No matter what you want the best coaching and fit for your kid. Don't put him on a higher level team if he's not going to play much. No amount of training can make up for lack of PT.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Not a coach.

But I tell my son to play differently at tryouts than in games. In tryouts flash counts and winning does not. I tell him to dribble more, try and beat kids, and pass less.
        Good advice. Being selfish increases the likelihood of getting noticed. Speed and athleticism does as well.

Comment

Not a coach.

Quick accurate passing is valuable. Losing possession is usually a bad pass or no pass and player getting stripped.

Comment

Good morning everyone,

My kid is interested in playing for a team at a higher level than the current team. My kid has advanced skill and has speed and strength and a great motor but not experience of the speed and decisions made at a higher level.

if a kid participates in tryouts, can a coach notice the potential in the kid or make the safe decision and just take existing players that have been on a squad for years even if they are not as skilled but have experience and better decisions at that level. Are coaches willing to take a kid, who requires teaching/ training to get up to speed but has a higher upside.

Thank you.
            You should really try to go to practice sessions with the team ahead of tryouts. It is a much better way for them to evaluate you and also for you/your child to get a sense of how they compare to the current team. Otherwise, you are just hoping they get noticed among a lot of other pinnies.

Your questions are hard to answer -- it is going to depend on the age group, level of play and who else shows up. In some cases, coaches are always looking for something new to replace the bottom 1/3 (who they have already sized up as not necessarily having a lot of upside potential).

Comment

Good morning everyone,

Thank you.
              Be active and on the ball as much as you can.

Don't rely on others to get you the ball. They won't.

DON'T consistently play offsides to get goals just because they're not calling it.

Remind them that setting up the goal with a nice pass looks better than being the kid who gets the tap in.

Learn a name or two of the kids you're scrimmaging with and call them by their names during play.

It's all about touches, touches, touches.

If you're not a goalie, DO NOT volunteer to play in goal.

If your a defender, push up much more than you ever would in a real game or practice.

Don't stop running. Be a high energy/high motor player.

Comment

Be active and on the ball as much as you can.

Don't rely on others to get you the ball. They won't.

DON'T consistently play offsides to get goals just because they're not calling it.

Remind them that setting up the goal with a nice pass looks better than being the kid who gets the tap in.

Learn a name or two of the kids you're scrimmaging with and call them by their names during play.

It's all about touches, touches, touches.

If you're not a goalie, DO NOT volunteer to play in goal.

If your a defender, push up much more than you ever would in a real game or practice.

Don't stop running. Be a high energy/high motor player.
                "Don't stop running. Be a high energy/high motor player." THIS! Keep active, run, run, and have a high work rate. Work rate can make up for losing possession.
                And be careful about holding the ball too long - that's a sign of bad decision making because you will be stripped for holding it too long. Be smart and look for the right pass. That being said, others will not pass to you, so your work rate must be high.

Comment

Flash, willingness to work with others, fast accurate passes and especially work rate. If you lose the ball, get after it immediately and win it back. Also, at least appear as if you enjoy playing (seriously, some kids look so miserable).

Comment

And if he doesn't have the soccer IQ up yet, tell him to avoid playing in the middle so he doesn't get stuck trying to be the pivot. Play out on the wings, drive hard up the lines, make good crosses, and pressure defenders. Drop back and get some takeaways.

Comment

Wow is this a post of bad advice

I hope whoever asked this question reads my response.

First off, I'm a coach of a USDA team. I hold tryouts every single year for a dozen years, and I can tell you that just about everything written above is horrific.

ALWAYS tell your son to be themselves - just tell him to do his best, get involved, and have courage. You love him, you support him, and to have some fun.

Coaches can spot athleticism and talent very easily, very quickly. Telling someone NOT to pass the ball at tryouts makes me want to throw up in my mouth. We look at passing and receiving skills probably more than anything else.

Does the player pass to the front foot, do they receive with weight on the balls of their feet.... there is an art to this and NONE of that art has to do with PIZAZ or hogging the ball or not passing.

Tell your son to be himself.... ALWAYS, in the game and in life. He'll find his place, and on the pitch that place should start with having some fun, and being a good team mate.

Good luck to you

Comment

I like the advice above...

My daughter was a teammate of someone who made a DA team. Father said she was pulled aside 10 minutes in and told her she made it. He said he didn't know why, but wasn't going to complain about it.

I said I've known from the first day I ever saw her on the pitch I could tell she had it. How she stood, how she received the ball, her first touch, second touch, passing, movement. She listened, did what was told, and followed through. Everything she did said "player".

I expect that she wasn't abnormal for that level. It's just what is expected.

Comment

First off, I'm a coach of a USDA team. I hold tryouts every single year for a dozen years, and I can tell you that just about everything written above is horrific.

ALWAYS tell your son to be themselves - just tell him to do his best, get involved, and have courage. You love him, you support him, and to have some fun.

Coaches can spot athleticism and talent very easily, very quickly. Telling someone NOT to pass the ball at tryouts makes me want to throw up in my mouth. We look at passing and receiving skills probably more than anything else.

Does the player pass to the front foot, do they receive with weight on the balls of their feet.... there is an art to this and NONE of that art has to do with PIZAZ or hogging the ball or not passing.

Tell your son to be himself.... ALWAYS, in the game and in life. He'll find his place, and on the pitch that place should start with having some fun, and being a good team mate.

Good luck to you
                          Good response, but you realize the responses above were advice given by coaches to players? This is not "daddy" advice, it's actual feedback to given to players by coaches. So coaches are going to see things differently among themselves.

Comment

Good luck to you
                            +1

Also, be active and vocal off the ball. And don't be lazy on defense.

Comment

And if he doesn't have the soccer IQ up yet, tell him to avoid playing in the middle so he doesn't get stuck trying to be the pivot. Play out on the wings, drive hard up the lines, make good crosses, and pressure defenders. Drop back and get some takeaways.
                              On the other hand, my daughter has always shown well at tryouts because she has been willing to play the middle when everyone else doesn't want to (fwiw, she is an outside midfielder on her team). So if he's got any inclination to play the middle, go for it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X