Ny surf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like they were added to NYCSL NPL. Seems like a positive for the program. Should help them attract new quality players.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Looks like they were added to NYCSL NPL. Seems like a positive for the program. Should help them attract new quality players.
      Is that better than EDP NORTH DIVISION 1. Please explain.

Comment

Is that better than EDP NORTH DIVISION 1. Please explain.
        Here's a breakdown from another thread...

NYCSL and NE NPL are similar "competition wise". I give NE NPL the edge with their top teams being a little stronger than NYCSL top teams, but once you get past the top 5 teams or so (out of 12) it's really weak. NYCSL has less of a drop off from top to mid-level, so you get a few more "meaningful" (closer) games. Both have about 5-6 really strong teams, 3-4 solid teams 2-3 clunkers.

BUT, the travel for NE NPL is killer. The only way I'd be (begrudgingly) on board with all that schlepping around for NPL level play is if my kid was in love with her team/club and that's where they played. NYCSL travel can be a bit much at times as well depending on where you live, but it's slightly more manageable...slightly.

The other thing I loved about NYCSL were their supplemental programs like Center of Excellence, PDP, id2. A lot of good opportunities for girls to train and play with other good players within the league from other teams, I don't think NE NPL has the same type of offerings...but they might, so it might be worth looking into.

EDP is OK, I've never been super impressed by it. Some of the teams are really good, but not enough to make it worth it. Most of the teams that were really good were part of EDP NPL, but now that they're moving over to USYS and just handing out conferences, it feels very convoluted. They're basically merging fka ERL with some current EDP, but then having club B club which is basically NPL, then some one off conferences for some DA players "on hold"...

I know some people are big fans of promotion/relegation and I get that, but when the quality itself overall is lower-how is that better? Idk, I think there's something to be said about holding a club accountable for style of play, condition of fields, etc. The last time my kid played an EDP team, it was in 4 inch high grass covered in dandelions behind an elementary school where the team's style of play was-whenever you touch the ball, just try to kick it out off a player from the other team (no matter where you are on the field) and we'll try to move it down the line that way. I'm not saying all of EDP is like that, but there definitely is a more high school ball-esque feel to EDP than the other leagues-a win at all costs style of play, which makes sense if you're trying to stay in your division, but doesn't necessarily make for a good soccer player.

Comment

True. And most club teams at HS age don't do much training in the fall either.
          In some sates they aren't even allowed to. Having a college coach can be good, but not for younger teams that train in the fall. College coaching is their main job and focus.

Comment

It won’t. Not a knock against Surf, but there are so many damn leagues all claiming the quality of play. The only leagues that really mean anything right now is DA or ECNL. Even they are now watered down. If the other leagues are attracting players, I would recommend playing lacrosse.

Comment

Why would a kid play lacrosse if they love soccer? That statement doesn't make any sense. Not many kids play the sport so they can get a scholarship. Especially at 11 and 12 years old. It's actually somewhat sad if that's the only reason any of them play. The ones who do get scholarships are really only a very small percentage of the total. Independent of what league they play in.

I do agree that they should be playing lacrosse if a scholarship is the only reason they're participating in a sport. They probably should also be focusing on academics if that's the case because it's more likely that will result in a scholarship than soccer. To each their own.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X