Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entitled Parents...know any

I saw this awhile ago, but after watching some U10 games this weekend, I think some people should read it and see if they recognize themselves..

Soccer referee says he quit job because of ‘entitled’ Beverly Hills parents( Fill in Long Island Parents )

Soccer Official 1, Obnoxious Parents 0.

A Beverly Hills youth soccer referee has called it quits because of “disrespectful” and “entitled” parents whom he has come to “despise.”

In a scathing, goodbye letter to soccer moms and dads, New York native Avery Krut announced his decision to step down from his referee administrator post at the American Youth Soccer Organization’s Beverly Hills branch.

“This will be my last year as your Referee Administrator and I will no longer be the Game Scheduler,” Krut wrote in the missive, obtained by the Hollywood newsletter, The Ankler.

“And there’s a reason, I have come to despise so many of you and I hold so many of you in contempt,” Krut wrote. “Your behavior on the sidelines has, for far too long, been disrespectful and you are damaging the children. You have said nasty things to and about too many Referees and it must come to an end.”

Krut continued: “I can no longer be involved with so many people who feel so entitled. People threatening to write up a Referee because he was wearing a protective boot was the last straw. The behavior on the sidelines has been despicable [sic] too often.”

The soccer ref noted that “the vast majority of you are wonderful people but I need to depart the land of entitlement where too many of you think that everything has to go your way and you take every comment or email I write as a personal attack on something you hold dear, when all I’m doing is trying to get your attention that you have an obligation to volunteer.”

“So, I’m done…and it’s your loss… You may not like my tone but everything I have written is the truth,” Krut wrote before ending the note by saying: “Let’s enjoy the play-offs and let’s be respectful.”

Krut said he will continue to referee through Dec. 17.

He has been a volunteer with the soccer organization for about 15 years, according to local reports.

In a phone interview Wednesday, Krut told The Guardian: “The idea that parents have the right to yell at referees, what kind of message are they sending their kids? People are channeling their inner Donald Trump. They have no filter. Something has to change because we are damaging the children.”

The soccer league’s regional commissioner, Alex Grossman, sent a letter to parents in response to Krut’s letter saying that the board does not hold the same sentiment as Krut, according to ABC News.

Here is the actual ref's letter

Parents, Coaches and Referees,

We are all in this together to create a fun, fair and safe experience for the players. However, the “we are all in this together” doesn’t mean that everyone gets to pick and choose how they interact with each other.

The sideline has the toughest job of all. We want parents to cheer and not make comments to the referees, the coaches and nor even to the players that crosses the boundary of being the cheering squad. This is a tough job. Impulse control is incredibly hard, particularly when it involves our children.

The job of the Referee crew is to apply the Laws of the Game, as best as they can, taking into account the age and player ability. Comments from coaches and parents, even when well meaning, is at best a distraction and, although it may be unintended, disrespectful to volunteers who are just trying to do their best.

We entrust our coaches with precious cargo. Coaches are the direct link to the players. Comments from the sidelines, however well meaning, are at best a distraction and, at worst, disrespectful. Please let the coaches coach, the referees referee and the players play.

If we all follow the rules, the players will benefit the most.

We are all going to make mistakes, referees and coaches alike. But it’s the players who make the most mistakes…and that’s the only way they learn. It’s a lesson we should all heed.

As we finish the regular season and enter the play-offs please be kind to everyone. Take a deep breath and take a few seconds to think about what you are going to say out loud.

As a Referee, as a Coach and as a parent, I know that impulses are hard to control.

So, do it for the kids. Lead by example. Cheer and say nice things.

This will be my last year as your Referee Administrator and I will no longer be the Game Scheduler. And there’s a reason, I have come to despise so many of you and I hold so many of you in contempt.

Your behavior on the sidelines has, for far too long, been disrespectful and you are damaging the children. You have said nasty things to and about too many Referees and it must come to an end.

I can no longer be involved with so many people who feel so entitled. People threatening to write up a Referee because he was wearing a protective boot was the last straw. The behavior on the sidelines has been dispicable too often.

It’s too bad, the vast majority of you are wonderful people but I need to depart the land of entitlement where too many of you think that everything has to go your way and you take every comment or email I write as a personal attack on something you hold dear, when all I’m doing is trying to get your attention that you have an obligation to volunteer.

So, I’m done…and it’s your loss.

I will continue to referee but I will no longer, as of December 17, be involved in the administrative matters of REDACTED.

Should there be a concerted effort to change the culture in REDACTED, I may consider a return. The Board needs to lead by example and too many behave as if they are the most entitled. Still, it is you, the parent body, who need to make significant changes to your behavior.

You may not like my tone but everything I have written is the truth.

Comment

All three of my kids ref, including the oldest who started when he was 12 and still refs in college as a rising senior. He said parents definitely have gotten worse, crazy coaches are about the same. One of my other ones will only cover rec league - he said dealing with travel and premier parents isn't worth it.

Comment

It's a shame because there is usually an strong relationship between team/player quality and parent behavior. Worst teams have worst parents.

Coaches should prep all parents at the beginning of the season by saying: (1) the refs are underpaid volunteers who are doing there best - don't call out mistakes; (2) disrespectful language toward players or refs will result in a suspension and possible termination from the club. Don't like it, leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          It's a shame because there is usually an strong relationship between team/player quality and parent behavior. Worst teams have worst parents.

Coaches should prep all parents at the beginning of the season by saying: (1) the refs are underpaid volunteers who are doing there best - don't call out mistakes; (2) disrespectful language toward players or refs will result in a suspension and possible termination from the club. Don't like it, leave.
          1. What refs are unpaid volunteers.
          2. Will never happen

Comment

The problem is that parents think that their kid does no wrong. My generation, you got in trouble at school or the coach and last thing you wanted was your parents to know. Now the princes and princesses have seemingly gotten better because according to todays parents, they do no wrong and the teacher/coach is picking on them unjustly.....

just like the kid who hacks and pushes everyone, then god forbid someone trips him on accident-or god forbid the ref calls a minor foul on them... the hollering from their parent makes.... like what game are you watching....

honestly when I was growing up, parents were working and rarely had time to even come to a game. We just played.... we learned the game, not joysticked up and down the field

Wake the hell up..... makes me sick....

Comment

2. Will never happen
              underpaid dude. underpaid.

Comment

2. Will never happen
                No, a well run club stops bad parent behavior. If your club doesn't you're at the wrong club. Parent gets a warning first, second time they're ask to leave for that game. Thrid time they're not allowed back at all (kid can play; not fair to take it out on them if they're a good kid which most are). A few choice words from parents can go a long way as well.

Comment

underpaid dude. underpaid.
                  Then don't use the word volunteer. Volunteers are not paid.

Comment

No, a well run club stops bad parent behavior. If your club doesn't you're at the wrong club. Parent gets a warning first, second time they're ask to leave for that game. Thrid time they're not allowed back at all (kid can play; not fair to take it out on them if they're a good kid which most are). A few choice words from parents can go a long way as well.
                    You live in reality? I have been in club scene for several kids for 15 years ... never have I seen a parent banned.

I have seen parents kicked out. I have seen police called but never saw a parent banned. A good lawyer would stop the banishment dead in its track

Comment

You live in reality? I have been in club scene for several kids for 15 years ... never have I seen a parent banned.

I have seen parents kicked out. I have seen police called but never saw a parent banned. A good lawyer would stop the banishment dead in its track
                      If you need a lawyer to stop a ban you might need to rethink things in the first place.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X