X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why combined age group teams?

Hello everyone,

my kid is in the 2004 age group. I have noticed that for some teams, several clubs do not offer a 2004 team but only a 2004/2005 team. I feel as if this is not the best option, playing with younger kids who are not as developed skill wise nor as physically developed (strength , speed, etc.).
    What if a kid is between a rock and hard place as he/she is marginally ready for the next level and just needs experience at the higher level and for that reason maybe not make such a team but much more advanced (physically and skill wise) than for a combined team. Geographically it does not make sense to look elsewhere.

Why are there combined teams for 2004 but not for 2003 or 2006? For example, rough riders have enough 2004s for their own team but have a combined 2004/2005 team.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello everyone,

my kid is in the 2004 age group. I have noticed that for some teams, several clubs do not offer a 2004 team but only a 2004/2005 team. I feel as if this is not the best option, playing with younger kids who are not as developed skill wise nor as physically developed (strength , speed, etc.).
    What if a kid is between a rock and hard place as he/she is marginally ready for the next level and just needs experience at the higher level and for that reason maybe not make such a team but much more advanced (physically and skill wise) than for a combined team. Geographically it does not make sense to look elsewhere.

Why are there combined teams for 2004 but not for 2003 or 2006? For example, rough riders have enough 2004s for their own team but have a combined 2004/2005 team.
    Blame USSF for part of that - when they went to calendar year it broke teams up by age rather than grade. Some clubs, especially smaller ones, have no choice but to field multi-year in order to field a full squad. If you don't like the idea then seek a club that fields single year teams. There are loads of options out there, probably more than you realize

Comment

Some teams remained intact when US soccer shifted to birth year. It used to be August 1 - July 31. The coach might have had kids from Aug 2004 - July 2005. Maybe he wanted to keep the team together. Also, I know some DA teams are 2 birth years combined

Comment

Some teams remained intact when US soccer shifted to birth year. It used to be August 1 - July 31. The coach might have had kids from Aug 2004 - July 2005. Maybe he wanted to keep the team together. Also, I know some DA teams are 2 birth years combined
        DA only combined U16/17 and U18/19 (i.e., 02/01 & 00/99 currently). U12-U15 now all single birth year age groups.

Comment

Hello everyone,

2004 age group was the bubble year during the birth year age group change. They went from U11 8v8 on a junior sized field to U13 11v11 on a full sized field. A lot of clubs didn't have the numbers to make that leap without holding on to their 2005's.

Comment

2004 age group was the bubble year during the birth year age group change. They went from U11 8v8 on a junior sized field to U13 11v11 on a full sized field. A lot of clubs didn't have the numbers to make that leap without holding on to their 2005's.
            Yes, and instead of grandfathering that one year so they could get acclimated better, they plowed ahead.

Kids only had a year at the 8v8 or 9v9 field, then had to jump to 11v11. For some on the wrong side of the bubble, it was too much.

So, in their infinite wisdom, they drove people away from the game....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X