Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Massachusetts

Notices

Massachusetts Discussions about Massachusetts soccer.

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not going to call out players even by initials.My ds team played against YNT laden teams 3xs and won every game.So ya I’ve seen firsthand.
Winning a game is a team effort. Just because a team has a YNT player or two on them doesn’t mean the team will be unbeatable. In fact some times, the YNT players can be double teamed entire games, or they try to do too much because they are expected to “carry” a team. Or if there are more than one, there is a weird dynamic. If the coach isn’t up to task to address those challenges or effectively bridge the talent gaps, a team like that can struggle, or a better coach on the other sideline can expose that. But as a singular talent, those YNT talents are usually pretty awesome compared to the rest of the players around here. And you can call the mediocre if it makes feel better, but in the end, it’s them who are getting the brass ring so to speak. Full ride D1 scholarships to top 25 power programs. I think the rest of us would be happy to have our kids be “mediocre” if that is the payoff.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Not going to call out players even by initials.My ds team played against YNT laden teams 3xs and won every game.So ya I’ve seen firsthand.
And who are you to judge anyone’s soccer talent? Might you be the dad who is a club soccer coach? Given most of the crap around here that hardly qualifies you as a solid talent evaluator. That said the programs kids go to, the amount of play they get and the money they receive are really the only criteria that matters.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Winning a game is a team effort. Just because a team has a YNT player or two on them doesn’t mean the team will be unbeatable. In fact some times, the YNT players can be double teamed entire games, or they try to do too much because they are expected to “carry” a team. Or if there are more than one, there is a weird dynamic. If the coach isn’t up to task to address those challenges or effectively bridge the talent gaps, a team like that can struggle, or a better coach on the other sideline can expose that. But as a singular talent, those YNT talents are usually pretty awesome compared to the rest of the players around here. And you can call the mediocre if it makes feel better, but in the end, it’s them who are getting the brass ring so to speak. Full ride D1 scholarships to top 25 power programs. I think the rest of us would be happy to have our kids be “mediocre” if that is the payoff.
I coach club and have a kid who plays on a local ECNL team. Not a YNT caliber player, but talented. What I see with those “top” caliber players is that, at least in their “home” club environments, they try and do too much. Too many touches, too much dribbling, rarely play simple, smart soccer. It’s like all they ever heard was “your the best, get the ball at your feet and go”. Talent comes in many forms and at the end of the day, there are 11 players a side on the pitch. I’ll take a smart soccer player who understands the game and plays simple when it makes sense than the super talented player who can’t seem to figure out how to use their teammates. If you want it to be all about you, try golf or track...
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
And who are you to judge anyone’s soccer talent? Might you be the dad who is a club soccer coach? Given most of the crap around here that hardly qualifies you as a solid talent evaluator. That said the programs kids go to, the amount of play they get and the money they receive are really the only criteria that matters.
OK, BTNT. Thanks.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
I coach club and have a kid who plays on a local ECNL team. Not a YNT caliber player, but talented. What I see with those “top” caliber players is that, at least in their “home” club environments, they try and do too much. Too many touches, too much dribbling, rarely play simple, smart soccer. It’s like all they ever heard was “your the best, get the ball at your feet and go”. Talent comes in many forms and at the end of the day, there are 11 players a side on the pitch. I’ll take a smart soccer player who understands the game and plays simple when it makes sense than the super talented player who can’t seem to figure out how to use their teammates. If you want it to be all about you, try golf or track...
Yes that is often the biggest issue, But as I said in my previous post the coach Hass to be up to the task of reigning that stuff in and having these top talents work with their teammates more. At the younger ages they were usually so far ahead they could take on five defenders and get through to score or something like that, but as girls get bigger and stronger and faster, even the best of players need to work within the team system to have success. Often they do not learn that lesson because their club coach just lets them do whatever they want, usually to their detriment.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes that is often the biggest issue, But as I said in my previous post the coach Hass to be up to the task of reigning that stuff in and having these top talents work with their teammates more. At the younger ages they were usually so far ahead they could take on five defenders and get through to score or something like that, but as girls get bigger and stronger and faster, even the best of players need to work within the team system to have success. Often they do not learn that lesson because their club coach just lets them do whatever they want, usually to their detriment.
And some of the college coaches encourage the team of one behavior as well by yelling everyone to get them the ball and then the kid expects it as well. Club coaching in a college environment. Usually not successful.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
And some of the college coaches encourage the team of one behavior as well by yelling everyone to get them the ball and then the kid expects it as well. Club coaching in a college environment. Usually not successful.
Awh, does your little Mia not get the ball enough
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Awh, does your little Mia not get the ball enough
No one does. It goes into the YNT black hole never to emerge because it's usually a low percentage shot taken or disposed. Team of one.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
No one does. It goes into the YNT black hole never to emerge because it's usually a low percentage shot taken or disposed. Team of one.
I see that on many teams unfortunately as the other poster alluded.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
My kid played on a team with several YNT players. They were not always the standout players in every game (the rest of the team was loaded with D1 recruits too, so it's not like they were surrounded by Rec players). In fact, they seemed to play pretty much the same in almost every game. The things they did really well they did really well EVERY game and at every practice, not just against a weaker team or a team that had a weaker player here or there.

What I found remarkable, beside their greater skill, was that they were so incredibly consistent and that they made so few obvious mistakes. There was never a bad first touch or a pass that went to the wrong foot (or completely out of play, like my kid sometimes does). Most importantly, when the team played a stronger team - their performance didn't dip at all. Unlike the "regular" players, who would look like superstars against the weak sisters but then disappear against the best teams, the YNT players just played their game like every other match. I rarely saw the "try to do too much" thing, although it did happen once in awhile late in a close game.