Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Massachusetts

Notices

Massachusetts Discussions about Massachusetts soccer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/res...ndsDivSprt.pdf

Above NCAA study shows 1/3 of menís soccer rosters are currently internationals and that trend continues to rise. Number of first years has grown 62% from 2013 to 2018. They are being actively recruited because their skills are better than Americans. To get them to come, they are being offering a larger share of scholarships.
Yes. Players who aren't quite good enough to go pro abroad are stronger than many of our US players. That's another indication what we're doing isn't working. Given the high cost of US schools dollars have to be offered up. In other countries college is free or very affordable. Not many could afford it without assistance
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/res...ndsDivSprt.pdf

Above NCAA study shows 1/3 of menís soccer rosters are currently internationals and that trend continues to rise. Number of first years has grown 62% from 2013 to 2018. They are being actively recruited because their skills are better than Americans. To get them to come, they are being offering a larger share of scholarships.
Iíve been told by a number of D1 coaches that they recruit internationals because they expect less scholarship money than high level U.S. club players. Talk about cheap college in Europe all you want, many of these internationals are here trying to make the jump to MLS.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Iíve been told by a number of D1 coaches that they recruit internationals because they expect less scholarship money than high level U.S. club players. Talk about cheap college in Europe all you want, many of these internationals are here trying to make the jump to MLS.
How many of them can afford $50K+ a year?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes college isn't the best path if you want to go pro. But my point was a 14 year old shouldn't be making that choice yet. If he still is on that developmental path and still wants it at 16 or 17? That's a big difference in maturity. There is no need to "sign" someone so young. A player on a pro track would readily get plenty of scholarship dollars. This isn't a typical DA player.
He's 14 years old. He'll be making around $70,000 a year (minimum), with no expenses as he's probably still living at home. If at 18, he has an epiphany and wants to become a biologist, he'll be able to pay his way through college easily with his earnings, and will be able to focus on his studies and future career in a way student-athletes can't. Really no downside to this, unless you want to count missing out on the "glory" of playing college soccer. He could even play for his local USL2 team when their season starts up, if he's missing soccer.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
He's 14 years old. He'll be making around $70,000 a year (minimum), with no expenses as he's probably still living at home. If at 18, he has an epiphany and wants to become a biologist, he'll be able to pay his way through college easily with his earnings, and will be able to focus on his studies and future career in a way student-athletes can't. Really no downside to this, unless you want to count missing out on the "glory" of playing college soccer. He could even play for his local USL2 team when their season starts up, if he's missing soccer.
This kid is never going to college. Iím picturing an M5 BMW when he gets his license. Heíll end up a club soccer coach.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How many of them can afford $50K+ a year?
Well, many were professionals, so presumably they made money with which they can pay for college.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well, many were professionals, so presumably they made money with which they can pay for college.
that's another thing - some of those internationals are way older and played professionally.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well, many were professionals, so presumably they made money with which they can pay for college.
Do you really think American colleges are where young European professionals go after making serious money? Put down the pipe, dude.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do you really think American colleges are where young European professionals go after making serious money? Put down the pipe, dude.
Of those who played professionally it tends to be at the lowest levels so probably not great money. Many come here hoping for a shot at MLS, which is about equivalent in many instances. Half the MLS draft last year was international players, although I don't know how many were playing in college here first.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/res...ndsDivSprt.pdf

Above NCAA study shows 1/3 of menís soccer rosters are currently internationals and that trend continues to rise. Number of first years has grown 62% from 2013 to 2018. They are being actively recruited because their skills are better than Americans. To get them to come, they are being offering a larger share of scholarships.
^^^if you look at the study about 40% of the 321 international menís D1 first years are coming from Canada, UK, and Germany. These are not poor countries and college costs a lot less or nothing there. Both UK and Germany also have some of the best pro systems in the world. My guess is the best Canadians are coming to play in US colleges because itís probably better competition than back home, but the Brits and Germans probably are 3rd or 4th tier players that canít get into the upper pro leagues where the $ is back home. In any case, they arenít coming here for nothing so you can be sure they are getting scholarship $.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.