Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Massachusetts

Notices

Massachusetts Discussions about Massachusetts soccer.

Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Harvard seems to not have that problem of academics first then total crap soccer.As do many of D1 and Ivy.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Pick the best academic fit first, followed by soccer fit. That's it. No "style" analysis required.
This is fantastic advice and the most important for NESCAC families.
Let's face it, if your kid could play, she'd be looking at Ivy. Right?
She doesn't really matter to soccer, why should soccer should matter to her?

But, maybe just but, soccer does matter to her. Maybe she actually is pretty good and wants to play for a Championship Contending team, while also getting a great education. If she wants to play, and wants soccer to be a positive part of her college experience, then you better darn look at style, cuz there ain't much worse than dedicating your life to soccer practice and not playing.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
I vote: ‘troll’
You could have easily written: ‘I want to start a new thread and came up with this idea’.
The NESCACS play soccer. For anyone looking at NESCAC schools, it doesn’t really matter since you are attending for the academics and not the soccer.
You mean there's no way to go Pro or NT from there?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
The logic is actually sound.
ECNL/DA isn't about soccer anymore than NESCAC is about academics.
It's about selectivity, status signaling, and parent validation through their kid's achievements.

The demographic that aggressively pursues and pays for selective prestige-based club soccer experiences is also highly likely to pursue selective prestige-based higher education experiences.

ps: Not on a high horse, our family is 100% guilty too, merely sharing the logic
Jealous much??

Almost every year there is a least one kid on Amherst and Williams who is good enough to have Ivy offers. At a minimum this the the kid who received the big Tip. Typically, the first team all-conference NESCAC players are good enough to have played Ivy.

Top tier NESCAC schools = pretty impressive; bottom tier, = not so much
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
pick the best academic fit first, followed by soccer fit. That's it. No "style" analysis required.
bingo
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Jealous much??

Almost every year there is a least one kid on Amherst and Williams who is good enough to have Ivy offers. At a minimum this the the kid who received the big Tip. Typically, the first team all-conference NESCAC players are good enough to have played Ivy.

Top tier NESCAC schools = pretty impressive; bottom tier, = not so much
Jealous of what?? I just said I'm in the middle of it.
Of course there are players on NESCAC teams that are good enough to play Ivy.

Are you saying that there are recruits that turn down Ivy for Amherst or Williams?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

BTNT at his worst yet again. Clever way for him to get off yet again on his "but I thought it was about the academics" and "if you're kid is good and it's about academics they'd be going Ivy."
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:

Are you saying that there are recruits that turn down Ivy for Amherst or Williams?
Yes...
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:

It's a hypothetical for us, but if Ivy's only give need-based aid and a NESCAC like Amherst can pony up academic money and make it significantly cheaper, then it's actually an easy choice for us: Amherst it is. Sorry, but with Harvard's endowment for example, they can go pound sand if they think our family is going to spend $67k/yr for the Ivy name and our D plays soccer for them for free. They have the money, they can choose how to spend it, but we can choose to not attend. Harvard, like most Ivy's has decided that middle class families, especially upper middle class, aren't wanted. Poor "diversity" picks and wealthy legacies need only apply.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes...
Kid has a 4.02GPA in all honors, has made President's list every quarter. Waiting to see where the test scores come in, but the reality is she is smart enough with the grades to get in wherever she wants and she plays ECNL and has interest from D1 schools so we have a choice to make. If she decides to go DIII and the "academic" package is good, it comes down to which school will provide the best education for the dollars we have to spend out of pocket and the soccer will be secondary. Her first and second choice are local D1's, but not Ivy. I don't see an Ivy in the mix given our HHI.