Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    “There are rumblings in the soccer community that the US Soccer Development Academy - on the girls AND boys side - may be terminated. Announcement could come as early as tomorrow. #TheCoachingAcademy @SiriusXMFC @UnitedCoaches #USSoccer”

Coach at Rutgers & PDA

Not saying it’s true or it isn’t. But it’s worth discussing.
    Here’s the future as I see it.
    1. Soccer and most college sports go back to secondary status, meaning no scholarship money
    2. Sports at college take a back seat as colleges begin to focus solely on academics as the push to rein in costs becomes paramount
    3. College becomes a more local priority, with stay at home option and tele-learning priorities
    4.Club soccer becomes a much more localized phenomenon with far reduced travel and the importance of level diminished with the absence of scholarship money
    5. Big, overreaching clubs become obsolete for reasons shown above
    6. Kids of all levels begin to play the game for all the right reasons. Parents stop obsessing about future opportunities and enjoy watching the kids play.
    7. Town soccer, which served the majority of the players in this country just fine for decades, makes a resurgence with better coaching due to the availability of coaches who no longer work for big clubs (baseball, football, basketball all follow suit.
    8. High school sports become the primary focus again for the elite athlete, allowing for the resumption of fantastic local rivalries just as we all fondly remember. Think Thanksgiving Day soccer match followed by traditional football game.
    9. The insane waste of money on futile sport’s pursuits crashes and burns, matching the fall of regular folk’s incomes
    10. The rich and so-called elite go on as if nothing has happened, except now, nobody cares.

Comment

Is there a coach out there staying connected with their players the way SM is? And you wonder why kids love playing for the guy? At least he cares. Where are the rest of the coaches hiding?
      A lot of coaches are doing a lot with their teams they just don’t need to put it all over social media like this guy. He loves himself so much. He will Probably get a Facebook and Instagram tattoo next to match his DA and ENCL ones.

Comment

A lot of coaches are doing a lot with their teams they just don’t need to put it all over social media like this guy. He loves himself so much. He will Probably get a Facebook and Instagram tattoo next to match his DA and ENCL ones.
        Exactly. Our club is distributing weekly training routines, with feedback/results required and a weekly video chat for all players to attend. They just don't advertise it.

Is SM's shoulder double-jointed? He does such a great job patting himself on the back I assume so.

Comment

BDA isn't at risk - yet. They have another year or two of life left until MLS pulls out altogether.

GDA is another story. Rumors are a few more good clubs will be pulling out from other regions. Obviously that creates travel partner gaps and there aren't other good clubs to fill in the gaps. I doubt they shutter this next season but it may be the last

Comment

Exactly. Our club is distributing weekly training routines, with feedback/results required and a weekly video chat for all players to attend. They just don't advertise it.

Is SM's shoulder double-jointed? He does such a great job patting himself on the back I assume so.
            Also Some clubs are doing lots of Social media with teams so they don’t have to give refunds. It will be there way of saying that they provided services. I’m saying some not all clubs will do this.

Comment

BDA isn't at risk - yet. They have another year or two of life left until MLS pulls out altogether.

GDA is another story. Rumors are a few more good clubs will be pulling out from other regions. Obviously that creates travel partner gaps and there aren't other good clubs to fill in the gaps. I doubt they shutter this next season but it may be the last
              Rumors are just that. Rumors.

GDA is not closing shop and plan/teams in place are committed for next year. Rules/regulations are in review right now with changes coming to best meet the market needs.

Fools listening to someone from a club who helps run ECNL about GDA are just that...fools.

Comment

You don’t know what is going to happen and neither does anyone else.

Comment

You don’t know what is going to happen and neither does anyone else.
                  I know very well what will happen, and GDA going away isn't it.

Comments from a board member from a competing league, who would love nothing more than GDA going away, saying that GDA is going away, are comical.

If a member of Ford Motor Co BoD tweeted that General Motors was due to shut down tomorrow, would you believe it?

Comment

I'd certainly consider the source, but i wouldn't dismiss outright because i don't want it to be true.

Comment

So if (and I stress if) GDA folds, landscape would be:

ECNL-

FC Stars
                      Scorpions

NPL-

NEFC
                      SSS
                      SPOL
                      GPS
                      Aztec
                      FCUSA
                      Liverpool IA
                      Bayside
                      Seacoast

That would be a pretty good NPL group!
                      Don’t care which league “wins” but if we got from 3 leagues down to 2 we, the consumers, are much better off.

Comment

I'd certainly consider the source, but i wouldn't dismiss outright because i don't want it to be true.
                        Again, I have direct knowledge of the GDA plans for next year (pending Covid-19 effects), where they are in working to make improvements and adjustments, and the roster of clubs.

Zero talk of folding. Never comes up in any discussions.

So, Yes, I would suggest some don't take an opinion from competitor and list it as anything more than wishful thinking.

Comment

I don’t see anywhere on here where someone said it was fact. It’s an interesting tweet and this is called “talking soccer” after all. I understand that it wouldn’t be good for your business (whichever of the two GDA clubs you work for) but please don’t scold people for discussing it.

Comment

I don’t see anywhere on here where someone said it was fact. It’s an interesting tweet and this is called “talking soccer” after all. I understand that it wouldn’t be good for your business (whichever of the two GDA clubs you work for) but please don’t scold people for discussing it.
                            Fair enough.

I'm hearing a rumor that NPL Northeast is coming back, and will be retaking market share from ECNL-Regional.

Discuss.

Comment

Good for them. It’s a free market after all. May the best product win.

Comment

Here’s the future as I see it.
                                1. Soccer and most college sports go back to secondary status, meaning no scholarship money
                                2. sports become the primary focus again for the elite athlete, allowing for the resumption of
                                <removed>
                                10. The rich and so-called elite go on as if nothing has happened, except now, nobody cares.
                                I understand your logic. We just disagree on outcomes.
                                COVID is forcing realization that the value of Prestigious colleges isn't academics, but the college/campus experience. What's the point of a NESCAC if you go online?
                                Sports are a major part of.that experience

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X