Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Massachusetts

Notices

Massachusetts Discussions about Massachusetts soccer.

Old 03-13-2013
Super Moderator

I feel like I should stick this to the top of the MASS forum and close it so no more comments can be posted (and mess it up).

Nailed it right on the head......
Old 03-13-2013
Unregistered

Smile

AGREED...so nice to read positive comments about the enjoyment club soccer brings into our kid's and parent's lives. Let the Spring season begin and be gone with the snow.
Old 03-13-2013
Unregistered

Wonderful, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-14-2013
Unregistered

Perfect. This is what it is all about. Their experience and their joy.
Old 03-14-2013
Unregistered

Not hokey at all.You sound like a great parent and your interaction with your daughter that day has made me realize what youth sports should really be about. I wish you all the very best in your challenging circumstances and thanks again for sharing that with us my friend.
God Bless.
Old 03-14-2013
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was riding home with my daughter the other night. She had just played an indoor game and didn't play exceptionally well. I was mad that the coach and many of the kids didn't show up. She turned to me, "Dad, I just love to play soccer. It's OK that some of the kids didn't show up. When I play I forget about school, homework, my brother (she has a severely disabled brother). It's just for me." It literally brought me to tears. I have posted things here on this forum. This hit me hard between the eyes that this experience is their own. Not the parents. We may get enjoyment out of it but it's their experience. I say this because parents here are obsessed with saying this club stinks and that coach is that. I guess I just wanted to post that it's the kids who should matter. This is their time. We had ours. Like my daughter, the kids I think generally play as much for the love of the game as much as an escape from the pressures our kids have. I simply replied, "Honey, I just love to watch you play". I know hokey but wanted to share the experience.
Nice post. My U13 kid was one of the players that didn't show up (hypothetically speaking). She was at a basketball game. I tried and tried to get her not to play basketball this year so she could concentrate more on soccer training, thinking (knowing?) that she would fall a step behind if she didn't train as much as the other players on her soccer team. One day before basketball tryouts she sat me down and said something to the affect of ... "If I fall behind, it's ok. I love basketball. I want to play basketball too. If it means I won't be a "premier" soccer player... I'm ok with that. I hope you are too". She may have also thrown in a "leave me alone and let me decide what I want to do"...

It definitely taught me a lesson... Her life, her decisions. While I will continue to make suggestions (as every parent does), it truly is up to her at this point.
Old 03-14-2013
Unregistered

Quote:
When there are less kids at my daughter's practice we just say, "Yay, Private training!" Good post.
Clever way to keep them positive... I will steal this one.
Old 03-14-2013
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum View Post
I feel like I should stick this to the top of the MASS forum and close it so no more comments can be posted (and mess it up).

Nailed it right on the head......
Definately sticky worthy as it is in perspective to what most kids think deep down inside.
Old 03-14-2013
Unregistered

Quote:
Clever way to keep them positive... I will steal this one.
I have used a version of this at games as well when there are few to no "subs". I tell my kids more playing time for you, and a great way to increase your fitness.
Old 03-14-2013
Unregistered

Nice post...perfectly said!