Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Notice how the names of the interviews got published but the landing spot didn't. True example of a wannabe ego with a third tier talent
    It's interview season. Match day is in March. Keep deflecting, distorting, and disparaging.

Comment

BTDT must have serious regrets about the choices his own kids made. He still has so much resentment for people in club soccer who viewed the experience differently than him. He protests too much, he is only trying to convince himself.

As for our family, my kids played club, got in to great small academic d3 schools that have single digit acceptance rates. One got a ton of merit and played soccer there. The other is going to her dream school, and playing a ton, and got some Grant/FA. Both of them are happy, and maintained above a 4.0 in high school, and had 1500’s on their SAT’s. They couldn’t get a B and be considered for their offers. The D1 athletes I know only had to keep their grades above a C+? So in my mind the d3 route in our family was more of a grind than Our d1 pals. Now in school our kids play a bunch of soccer but their academics are first, that is what college is all about. It is not about a parental brag of ROI and Going to Duke. My dd hated Duke on her visit, so it really is about personal fit, there are no small campus d1s really. The fact that you compare your kids and think the Duke player is so much greater than the LAC one is really unhealthy for them.
      hmmm...I'm not aware of D3 schools with single digit acceptance rates that offer merit. I'm calling BS...NESCACs, Univ of Chic and Emory don't offer merit, neither does MIT, Carnegie Mellon. The only one may be NYC. Even with a "ton" of merit, your still paying $50+/yr all in.

Comment

Notice how the names of the interviews got published but the landing spot didn't. True example of a wannabe ego with a third tier talent
        Do you think you are a very healthy psychological specimen, BTNT?

Comment

Bingo. Just the way that poster roles. Has to embellish to save face. Too afraid to post where is boy actually went to college because it’s not nearly as elite as he wants others to believe. At this point it’s clear that even if he responded he would lie to save face.

Comment

Bingo. Just the way that poster roles. Has to embellish to save face. Too afraid to post where is boy actually went to college because it’s not nearly as elite as he wants others to believe. At this point it’s clear that even if he responded he would lie to save face.
            LOL, you must think I'm stupid, BTNT. I could say Oxford and you'd say that was third tier and not good enough. Anyway, aren't you a proponent of "it's not where you start, it's where you end up?" Believe me, his school was plenty good enough for us and him. Absolutely love the school and wish I had gone there. BTW, your case of narcissism should be studied by every psychiatry resident....and no, that's not what my kid is doing.

Comment

hmmm...I'm not aware of D3 schools with single digit acceptance rates that offer merit. I'm calling BS...NESCACs, Univ of Chic and Emory don't offer merit, neither does MIT, Carnegie Mellon. The only one may be NYC. Even with a "ton" of merit, your still paying $50+/yr all in.
              What are the D3 colleges with the lowest acceptance rates that give merit aid? Does Hopkins? Anyone know?

Comment

LOL, you must think I'm stupid, BTNT. I could say Oxford and you'd say that was third tier and not good enough. Anyway, aren't you a proponent of "it's not where you start, it's where you end up?" Believe me, his school was plenty good enough for us and him. Absolutely love the school and wish I had gone there. BTW, your case of narcissism should be studied by every psychiatry resident....and no, that's not what my kid is doing.
                Said the poster who claimed his kid was in residency at MGH #facesaver#liar

Comment

Said the poster who claimed his kid was in residency at MGH #facesaver#liar
                  Ummmm......that's not what I said. And I've actually always undersold our story. I've fronted with not having a D1 talent kid, that I would have pushed D1 if one of them was a D1 talent kid, that my kid wasn't Harvard material at least at the time, etc, etc....but we're happy with all of it and now very humbled to have gotten so many interviews at places that hand out 5-10% of the thousands applying from US med schools. At any rate, your need to even be engaging me and our low-life D3 background is so telling....and bizarre.

Comment

What are the D3 colleges with the lowest acceptance rates that give merit aid? Does Hopkins? Anyone know?
                    Here's what I do know:
                    1. Only 1 NESCAC school gives merit (Conn)
                    2. Carnagie Mellon? No
                    3. Chicago? Very limited (<$10k)
                    4. Emory? Yes
                    5. Hopkins? Yes (< 20/yr)
                    6. Wellesley? No
                    7. Smith? Yes. (Up to $12k)

Comment

Many top schools have special grants and awards, often times that you have to compete for.

Comment

This one really got away from the original topic.
                        Hey original poster go back to the coach that offered a spot without any money and find out why? Some of this is just a starting point as far as negotiation. If there is interest on both parties, worth pursing.

Comment

Hey original poster go back to the coach that offered a spot without any money and find out why? Some of this is just a starting point as far as negotiation. If there is interest on both parties, worth pursing.
                          Correct!! Need to have something to actually bargain with though because coaches don't give their assistance away for free. If you want something from them, you need to be able to give them something other than a warm body.

Comment

Correct!! Need to have something to actually bargain with though because coaches don't give their assistance away for free. If you want something from them, you need to be able to give them something other than a warm body.
                            Hahaha. Not some programs. They seem to collect warm bodies. Problem is, they actually play them too. Usually without overall success.

Comment

Original Op. Was told there was no money left. After talking with some families who have had kids play college soccer, dd has decided this isn't the right program for her. Playing time is important to her and in her research it looks like she probably wouldn't see the field her first year.

Comment

Original Op. Was told there was no money left. After talking with some families who have had kids play college soccer, dd has decided this isn't the right program for her. Playing time is important to her and in her research it looks like she probably wouldn't see the field her first year.
                                What that should tell you is that you were late to the party. Generally means that you targeted wrong and wasted important time dancing with programs that really didn't fit. At this stage of the game what do you think will happen long term? Do you honestly expect the soccer piece to just mushroom and her find happiness or might you be realizing that soccer appears destined to be a secondary focus?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X