Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Massachusetts

Notices

Massachusetts Discussions about Massachusetts soccer.

Old 11-21-2013
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was riding home with my daughter the other night. She had just played an indoor game and didn't play exceptionally well. I was mad that the coach and many of the kids didn't show up. She turned to me, "Dad, I just love to play soccer. It's OK that some of the kids didn't show up. When I play I forget about school, homework, my brother (she has a severely disabled brother). It's just for me." It literally brought me to tears. I have posted things here on this forum. This hit me hard between the eyes that this experience is their own. Not the parents. We may get enjoyment out of it but it's their experience. I say this because parents here are obsessed with saying this club stinks and that coach is that. I guess I just wanted to post that it's the kids who should matter. This is their time. We had ours. Like my daughter, the kids I think generally play as much for the love of the game as much as an escape from the pressures our kids have. I simply replied, "Honey, I just love to watch you play". I know hokey but wanted to share the experience.
Great post! Thank-you for sharing it!
Old 12-23-2013
Unregistered

I will "pop in" and read some of the forums on occasion. I am always blown away by the know-it-all bashing that takes place. It is truly sad. To read this post on what is important, is great (and, yes, I sometimes need the reminder as well). It is very refreshing to see that others have also positively acknowledged this excellent and mature post. Of course, that one poster did have to make an idiot of him/her self. I have a daughter playing D1/scholarship soccer. I have a son in HS, who is probably more talented. He, however, has a ton of other interests. It is easy to get frustrated with the fact that he will not rise to the level that he is capable of. This post is an important reminder that it is the player's decision as to where they want to go with their sport.
Old 12-24-2013
Regular

Great Post!

Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Old 12-02-2015
Unregistered

Quote:
I was riding home with my daughter the other night. She had just played an indoor game and didn't play exceptionally well. I was mad that the coach and many of the kids didn't show up. She turned to me, "Dad, I just love to play soccer. It's OK that some of the kids didn't show up. When I play I forget about school, homework, my brother (she has a severely disabled brother). It's just for me." It literally brought me to tears. I have posted things here on this forum. This hit me hard between the eyes that this experience is their own. Not the parents. We may get enjoyment out of it but it's their experience. I say this because parents here are obsessed with saying this club stinks and that coach is that. I guess I just wanted to post that it's the kids who should matter. This is their time. We had ours. Like my daughter, the kids I think generally play as much for the love of the game as much as an escape from the pressures our kids have. I simply replied, "Honey, I just love to watch you play". I know hokey but wanted to share the experience.
Great post and hits home.
Old 12-23-2016
Unregistered

Thoughts and prayers for the families and kids affected by the tragic car crash in Falmouth last evening. No avoiding the fact that those of us with kids of driving age take a giant leap of faith each time we send them off on their own in cars to their various athletic, musical or theater practices, study groups, get togethers with friends, or just down to the store for a gallon of milk.

Such sadness should never be visited upon a family, yet is with far too great a frequency. Reminder to all that in addition to all the usual hazards, winter brings snow and ice into the mix. Thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-06-2018
Unregistered

The OP is spot on. If you listen to Christian Pulisic interviews, he will mention the happiest he has been in soccer was at recess, playing with the other kids with "no pressure, just play."

I see the same joy in the kids right before or at breaks in club and ODP practices. They just love having a ball at their feet. They aren't focused on scholarships or World Cups, just the joy of sport and the fun of the beautiful game.

I have often wondered if we shouldn't do a little experiment: take just ONE game during the season and don't invite the parents, don't invite the coach. Just let the kids play and figure it out. I wonder how much happier they would be
Old 02-27-2018
Unregistered

Agreed. It seems one of the most enjoyable experiences our ulittle D had @her 1st year of club was during an optional practice that included a lengthy scrimmage. This scrimmage had a lower level of coach involvement. I know we are paying for coaching, & we certainly get it here, but the experience was a welcome change up to normal routine & an enjoyable time that kept the girls engaged & having fun. It was certainly nice for us as parents to observe. Some do not have the numbers to arrange a pick up game.
Kids today are missing out on the self governing development that many of us had experienced when we were kids. We didn't have an adult constantly in the background tweaking every little detail of our lives. We were free to learn by good & bad choices. Some of those lessons are are best retained by these types of experiences. Adds to life's fun factor as well
Old 03-08-2019
Unregistered

Quote:
Man this post hit a nerve. Thank you for posting!