Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soccer Star Supports High School Soccer

Excellent read and insight from USA soccer icon Julie Foudy... btw - Anson Dorrance recently said similar comments in a radio interview about the state of girls soccer in the USA.

https://www.soccertoday.com/world-cu...ant-for-girls/

Why shouldn't she? A top notch high school team would easily beat the USWNT. Boys high school team that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Why shouldn't she? A top notch high school team would easily beat the USWNT. Boys high school team that is.
      A good read for lots of reasons. not just for the HS issue. It looks a lot of what ails US soccer these days.

Comment

A good read for lots of reasons. not just for the HS issue. It looks a lot of what ails US soccer these days.
        Correct - she has seen the sport take off in the late 80s & early 90s and where it stands today as she is still involved. I know Twellman has been critical of the DA structure too for boys especially when Klinsman went all in with it.

I don't know the answer - but my feeling is that the structure of the club system with DA at the top has not panned out for the mens side of things. Our players are no more equipped or ready for the international stage today than they were pre academy. In fact, you can argue with our international performances, we have regressed under this format.

I know people will say the USNT U18, U20 etc... but keep in mind - as pointed out by Ray Reid (UConn Mens Coach) in a podcast about 3 years ago - those teams are not playing the best 18 & 20 year old players form Spain, Portugal, Germany, etc.. as the elite players under 20 in those countries are locked up in professional contracts and typically don't play in many of the lower age cup tournaments.

Comment

Of course she would say that as she had no decision to make when she was playing.

Different game today, right or wrong.

Comment

Here is another really good article about the issues DA faces from someone who is SUPER qualified to critique it....

https://www.socceramerica.com/public...tml?verified=1

Comment

Correct - she has seen the sport take off in the late 80s & early 90s and where it stands today as she is still involved. I know Twellman has been critical of the DA structure too for boys especially when Klinsman went all in with it.

I don't know the answer - but my feeling is that the structure of the club system with DA at the top has not panned out for the mens side of things. Our players are no more equipped or ready for the international stage today than they were pre academy. In fact, you can argue with our international performances, we have regressed under this format.

I know people will say the USNT U18, U20 etc... but keep in mind - as pointed out by Ray Reid (UConn Mens Coach) in a podcast about 3 years ago - those teams are not playing the best 18 & 20 year old players form Spain, Portugal, Germany, etc.. as the elite players under 20 in those countries are locked up in professional contracts and typically don't play in many of the lower age cup tournaments.
              The answer is a profit motive. Academy's in other country's stand to gain if they produce stars so they are willing to invest. Not the case here. Atlanta may prove an exception and hopefully create a model in the US.

Comment

The answer is a profit motive. Academy's in other country's stand to gain if they produce stars so they are willing to invest. Not the case here. Atlanta may prove an exception and hopefully create a model in the US.
                Which also means GDA doesn't stand a chance because there's no $$$ to be made for the clubs. It will probably end up weakening girls soccer here.

Comment

Probably true, and the USWNT could probably toss up a clean sheet on our sad sack USMNT as well. Look, one of our NTs has severely underperformed for decades and is now at their lowest international level in probably about 40 years. Care to guess which one?

Comment

From the article the previous poster linked - I have been saying the same thing now for the last 5 years about the DA system:

"STEVE GANS: U.S. Soccer’s fundamental premise – that the training, coaching and competition in the Development Academy are generally superior to that in high school (and for that matter, most other non-DA clubs) -- is fundamentally correct. The technical development of many young American players is better for having gone through the DA. But that is not where the analysis and inquiry can or should stop. So commonly with U.S. Soccer a linear approach is instituted (i.e., “this is how they are doing it in Belgium, and we must adopt that whole cloth”), without regard for what makes the U.S. different. We are indeed producing more technically sound players, but at a great cost. So we are producing more technically sound players, but many of those players come out of the DA robotic in playing style and/or having lost the passion and joy for the game. Understanding why that is is a sociological inquiry which is essential to moving U.S. Soccer forward."

Comment

From the article the previous poster linked - I have been saying the same thing now for the last 5 years about the DA system:

"STEVE GANS: U.S. Soccer’s fundamental premise – that the training, coaching and competition in the Development Academy are generally superior to that in high school (and for that matter, most other non-DA clubs) -- is fundamentally correct. The technical development of many young American players is better for having gone through the DA. But that is not where the analysis and inquiry can or should stop. So commonly with U.S. Soccer a linear approach is instituted (i.e., “this is how they are doing it in Belgium, and we must adopt that whole cloth”), without regard for what makes the U.S. different. We are indeed producing more technically sound players, but at a great cost. So we are producing more technically sound players, but many of those players come out of the DA robotic in playing style and/or having lost the passion and joy for the game. Understanding why that is is a sociological inquiry which is essential to moving U.S. Soccer forward."
                      Pretty well put. It's funny, my D is in DA now but we will consider our options every year, as we always do. She never had any desire to play HS (and her HS is one of the top in the state), so missing it initially wasn't a huge deal. She liked having something of hers that none of her classmates had. But, that swings the other way as well.

We caught a few games this year, and she goes to lots of other teams' games (FB, BB, etc.) and likes the school spirit. At one point, she said to me "One thing I think I'd miss by not playing HS is scoring a winning PK and having the crowd rush the field or something like that". I agreed, saying "I can guarantee if you score a winning PK in a DA showcase, no offense, but I am not running on that field".

There's a mercenary feel to club soccer; not that it's bad in any way. Just, it's individual and while you have to be a good teammate, in the end only your own success is the goal. Nobody will, or should, remember the results of any of these games. In HS, I think that's a bit different.

Is either one "bad" or "good"? I don't think so. Just that there is a lot to consider and where you live is a factor (i.e. some teammates are definitely moving to HS, some will never due to the quality of the teams).

Ganz' point about the passion is worth considering.

This is no slight on being a part of DA, as our experiences are nothing but positive. Really don't have anything bad to say about the experience so far ($$$ aside). The club, training, etc. has been top notch and it's a big improvement in game quality than last year. Still, lots to consider.

Comment

Pretty well put. It's funny, my D is in DA now but we will consider our options every year, as we always do. She never had any desire to play HS (and her HS is one of the top in the state), so missing it initially wasn't a huge deal. She liked having something of hers that none of her classmates had. But, that swings the other way as well.

We caught a few games this year, and she goes to lots of other teams' games (FB, BB, etc.) and likes the school spirit. At one point, she said to me "One thing I think I'd miss by not playing HS is scoring a winning PK and having the crowd rush the field or something like that". I agreed, saying "I can guarantee if you score a winning PK in a DA showcase, no offense, but I am not running on that field".

There's a mercenary feel to club soccer; not that it's bad in any way. Just, it's individual and while you have to be a good teammate, in the end only your own success is the goal. Nobody will, or should, remember the results of any of these games. In HS, I think that's a bit different.

Is either one "bad" or "good"? I don't think so. Just that there is a lot to consider and where you live is a factor (i.e. some teammates are definitely moving to HS, some will never due to the quality of the teams).

This is no slight on being a part of DA, as our experiences are nothing but positive. Really don't have anything bad to say about the experience so far ($$$ aside). The club, training, etc. has been top notch and it's a big improvement in game quality than last year. Still, lots to consider.

So what did she do a year ago when there was no DA, and what makes you assume she would be taking any PK's in any game! Her quality of training right now with DA is crap as is most HS soccer, so she may want to enjoy playing with friends as she won't be playing in a few years.

Comment

Disband DA, disband club soccer and let focus on high school soccer. High school soccer is the best platform for player development. Don’t take the enjoy out of soccer. Kids are having fun and many of them are moving to professional clubs.

Comment

Your daughter never having desire to play high school sounds like something strange and unhealthy going on psychologically (easy to see where it comes from when you obviously completely miss the comradery aspect of sports and make it all about oneself). You saying that her high school team is one of the best tells me that you both may discover that she is not really any better than her high school peers if she plays so you'd rather not find that out. But she is going to find out this lesson (as far as soccer and many more important things also) sooner than later, and the longer it takes the harsher the impact when she has to face reality.

Comment

So what did she do a year ago when there was no DA, and what makes you assume she would be taking any PK's in any game! Her quality of training right now with DA is crap as is most HS soccer, so she may want to enjoy playing with friends as she won't be playing in a few years.
                              Why be such a *****? Internet Tough Guy approach works for you? Really?

1) NPL; which was a combination of good games and blow-outs, pure waste of time

2) Just a kid dreaming, why piss all over it?

3) We are happy with it and the DA training matches the other alternatives in New England (first hand experience)

4) Who says she doesn't enjoy playing with her DA friends?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X