Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough tried out for Thorns to post U15/U17 selections???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We were there and have not heard keeping our fingers crossed waiting for the 03 list or a call.
    You might want to plan on a tryout for tomorrow.......jusrt saying.

Comment

Thorns carrying 25 if they can only play 14 is a JOKE.

If your team literally has 11 kids that are injured or sick, you are not doing the right thing period.

Oh and this doesn't excuse the Oregon Ecnl scam that takes 24 but plays 12.
      In Boys DA they are allowed 5 subs per game. I would imagine the girls would follow suit. Meaning 16 players are able to play each game. Not sure where the 14 number came from???

Comment

In Boys DA they are allowed 5 subs per game. I would imagine the girls would follow suit. Meaning 16 players are able to play each game. Not sure where the 14 number came from???
        FIFA rules allow for only 3 subs. Person probably thought DA was going to allow for only 3 subs.

Comment

Looks like a good group. You'll have to work hard s to get your playing time. But atleast it's not draining the bank.
          Really?

16 of the players are from the Portland Thorns Academy select team from last year.

It would not be that hard to get playing time.

Comment

FIFA rules allow for only 3 subs. Person probably thought DA was going to allow for only 3 subs.
            Fair enough. Not hard to find the DA rules:

All U-13 games will be two 35-minute halves with a ten-minute half time. All U-14 and U-15/16 games will be two 40-minute halves with 15-minute half time. All U-17/18 Academy Games will be two 45-minute halves with a 15-minute half time.

2. Substitutions: All U-15/16 and U-17/18 Academy games will have a maximum of five substitutions per game with no re-entry across three “opportunities”. U-13, U-14 Academy games will have a maximum of seven (7) substitutions per game with no re-entry across three “opportunities”.

3. Substitutions are allowed at any stoppage. Games shall follow the Technical Framework provided for at the beginning of each Academy season in the Game Day Guide.

Comment

Really?

16 of the players are from the Portland Thorns Academy select team from last year.

It would not be that hard to get playing time.
              They were already, hands down, the best '01 team in the state and they got better. They would destroy any other 01/02 team in Oregon.

Comment

They were already, hands down, the best '01 team in the state and they got better. They would destroy any other 01/02 team in Oregon.
                They would easily beat both 01 teams in the area

Comment

We were there and have not heard keeping our fingers crossed waiting for the 03 list or a call.
                  If the list still isn't up it means girls are turning spots down and they are working way down the list. Your 03 still has a chance until the list is posted with the "yeses". Good luck.

Comment

Thank God I don't have a dog in this fight because Oregon soccer is a mess. I honestly thought that the Thorns would have picked up at least 3-4 of the top players from each ECNL team, but I am guessing HS had something to do with that. This is prime recruiting for this age and most of these girls will not see the field based upon substitution rules

Comment

Thank God I don't have a dog in this fight because Oregon soccer is a mess. I honestly thought that the Thorns would have picked up at least 3-4 of the top players from each ECNL team, but I am guessing HS had something to do with that. This is prime recruiting for this age and most of these girls will not see the field based upon substitution rules
                      Well I agree/am not surprised that they aren't picking up top ECNL players - anyone U15+ is either already recruited or into the process. Moving to GDA isn't a necessity in the short term if you want to land a top D1 spot. Realistically we don't have many players that will play at that level anyway. The question will be over time can GDA clubs attract the younger players, lock them into the program in middle school before HS becomes an issue, and build from there. USSF should have started with younger ages, U12-u15 and built from there. That way 1) no HS issue 2) train kids they way you want from the beginning. But as much of this is about USSF trying to kill off ECNL as quickly than possible rather than actual player development, they tried to go straight for the kill shot.

Comment

Well I agree/am not surprised that they aren't picking up top ECNL players - anyone U15+ is either already recruited or into the process. Moving to GDA isn't a necessity in the short term if you want to land a top D1 spot. Realistically we don't have many players that will play at that level anyway. The question will be over time can GDA clubs attract the younger players, lock them into the program in middle school before HS becomes an issue, and build from there. USSF should have started with younger ages, U12-u15 and built from there. That way 1) no HS issue 2) train kids they way you want from the beginning. But as much of this is about USSF trying to kill off ECNL as quickly than possible rather than actual player development, they tried to go straight for the kill shot.
                        I love it when someone brings up if you aren't recruited at u15 or deep in the process banter. The fact is most of the top elite kids do get offers their sophomore year not their Freshman and most recruiting (offers being made and accepted) take place in their junior year, not at u15. I know this stat is relative, but it does prove my point. Currently TopDrawer has the following numbers who have verbally committed:
                        2020 - 58 (freshman)
                        2019 - 335 (sophomore)
                        2018 - 916 (junior)
                        2017 - 1607 (senior)

Comment

Mother day and I have to deal with a crying child who has know idea if they made the team or not. Way to go Thorns. Just call tell my daughter the truth and post the list you gutless cowards!

Comment

This is important. Because college coaches will not recruit your daughter unless her team would "destroy" any other team in Oregon. (Insert Anderson Cooper eye roll)

If your daughter wants to play in college you need to understand a few facts:

1). Coaches are recruiting players, not teams. It doesn't matter if her team "destroys" everyone if she never gets off the bench, or if she's not an impactful player when she does.
                            2). College coaches want to see how your kid handles situations they are likely to face in college. Very few college teams sandbag and win every game by 5+ goals. They are more interested in seeing how your player handles a 1 goal deficit late in a game. Does she give up or take command? Is she on the field in those crucial moments, or on the bench? Do her teammates look to her for leadership?
                            3). While, as I said, coaches are recruiting players and not teams, you have to have your kid on a good enough team to get to the places coaches go to watch. There are several teams in every age group in Oregon - non-ECNL or academy teams - going to very good showcase events including Surf Cup. For 99.99% of our kids that's really all you need.

Thorns dad, I know it feels good to come on here and brag about how you beat State cup finals loser Eugene by double digits. Thorns mom, I know it impresses your friends to post on social media that your kid's team outshot the entirety of Oregon something like 97-1, and that your kid had dozens and dozens of goals. But really, truly, from one soccer parent to another - no one cares. You are making yourself look bad and this may well be the reason you only got one halfway decent ECNL player this year. And nothing you are doing is helping your kid get recruited. If you're happy where you are, great. I wish you well. But an ounce of humility wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Mother day and I have to deal with a crying child who has know idea if they made the team or not. Way to go Thorns. Just call tell my daughter the truth and post the list you gutless cowards!
                              Are they even concerned with the players in general or just filling spots

Comment

I don't understand this thread. We were at tryouts and my daughter accepted a spot already. None of this is true.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X