Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Actually, nope. Just a parent who's kid played it and the improvement was noticeable for all to see. No longer play it as she outgrew it's usefulness.

But, again, once you said "take a touch" you were immediately exposed as not knowing anything about it.

If you think one can be taught about it from an anonymous message board, you're crazy.
    I kind of get this? “Outgrew it’s usefulness” means to me that your daughter wants to focus on outdoor soccer and the differences between the two were so vast that she doesn’t play futsal any longer. But footskills are footskills and repetition can’t hurt.

Maybe your daughter is a goalie. Futsal for goalies is terrible - fun but they use their feet and legs and develop bad habits when it comes to outdoor techniques.

I knew a girl years ago that was a futsal phenom. Seriously at 12 years old her warm up drills before a futsal game were ridiculous. She was on a high level soccer team as well 12 and under. But she couldn’t run. Slow as molasses. Once she went 11v11 she was outgunned on top teams and struggled. She doesn’t play in high school. So futsal foot skills can only do so much.

Comment

I kind of get this? “Outgrew it’s usefulness” means to me that your daughter wants to focus on outdoor soccer and the differences between the two were so vast that she doesn’t play futsal any longer. But footskills are footskills and repetition can’t hurt.

Maybe your daughter is a goalie. Futsal for goalies is terrible - fun but they use their feet and legs and develop bad habits when it comes to outdoor techniques.

I knew a girl years ago that was a futsal phenom. Seriously at 12 years old her warm up drills before a futsal game were ridiculous. She was on a high level soccer team as well 12 and under. But she couldn’t run. Slow as molasses. Once she went 11v11 she was outgunned on top teams and struggled. She doesn’t play in high school. So futsal foot skills can only do so much.
      Of course they are different. Is that a new revelation or something?

The skills you develop in football will help your game when you are young. Any highly-skilled player will tell you that.

When you are young.

It's also why most futsal players are not good soccer players, because they don't have the training to think big enough. Interesting story about the Denmark's NT, take a read about it.

But, the skills to work in tight spaces, 1-2's, first touch and footwork developed in futsal are unmatched. That's not my opinion, that's a very common opinion. It's why 5 years ago nobody around here offered it as training, and many clubs mocked it. All now realize the benefit and supplement their training with it. US Soccer recommends it.

Shoot, every highly skilled player I've played with who came from SA or Europe all played it as kids.

Don't always be afraid of trying the 'new'. You may learn something.

The top players in the NH club environment from 03-ish up, almost all have played some futsal.

Comment

Of course they are different. Is that a new revelation or something?

The skills you develop in football will help your game when you are young. Any highly-skilled player will tell you that.

When you are young.

It's also why most futsal players are not good soccer players, because they don't have the training to think big enough. Interesting story about the Denmark's NT, take a read about it.

But, the skills to work in tight spaces, 1-2's, first touch and footwork developed in futsal are unmatched. That's not my opinion, that's a very common opinion. It's why 5 years ago nobody around here offered it as training, and many clubs mocked it. All now realize the benefit and supplement their training with it. US Soccer recommends it.

Shoot, every highly skilled player I've played with who came from SA or Europe all played it as kids.

Don't always be afraid of trying the 'new'. You may learn something.

The top players in the NH club environment from 03-ish up, almost all have played some futsal.

Most futsal players are not good soccer players?

I was at the Northeast Regional futsal Championships with my daughter this weekend. All of the top girls teams had multiple ECNL players from many of the top clubs in the Northeast. Saw several Revolution Academy high school aged boys playing. Pretty sure those kids are decent soccer players.

Comment

I was at the Northeast Regional futsal Championships with my daughter this weekend. All of the top girls teams had multiple ECNL players from many of the top clubs in the Northeast. Saw several Revolution Academy high school aged boys playing. Pretty sure those kids are decent soccer players.
          As you get older, no, the game doesn't translate over well. It's why professional players give it up over time and concentrate on soccer. It's also why the world's best futsal players have failed at soccer. If you use it as a development tool, it's excellent. It was the biggest thing my D experienced.

I've been to that tournament before and yes, it's incredible to watch. But, that also proves the point as some of the most exciting older boys teams to watch aren't very good soccer players.

I'm an advocate for futsal, so don't misinterpret what I am saying. I also know it has it's place.

Comment

https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-g...tsal-football/

Comment

Not the OP or previous poster about the usefulness or crossover of futsal. I tend to agree that futsal as a development tool for youth players is great, especially in the NE where we can't play outside all year. Futsal, like any small-sided game, will allow for more touches on the ball due to less players on the field. It will help with speed of play and ball control/creativity in tight spaces. However, between the differences in the rules vs. 11v11, the tactics, and some of the techniques, it is debatable whether a player will be successful at both and that if the goal is to become a better 11v11 player, futsal might not be the best tool at older ages. Played for fun, yes. Played competitively and for development, meh.

No offsides. Can't tell you how many youth players struggle with the transition from no offsides law to having one.

The surface. The ball moves differently on hard court vs. turf vs. grass. There is an adjustment for the weight of passes and touches on the ball. Additionally, futsal relies on using the sole of the foot for the majority of touches. This is fine in very tight spaces in 11v11, but is generally frowned upon as 1st touch to space away from pressure using the inside or outside of the foot is preferred.

Weighted, low-bounce ball feels different and is sized as a 4, not a 5. Again another adjustment in touch, and bounce can put a player off their game when transitioning.

Shooting. Using toe is a technique taught in futsal. In soccer, teaching players to rely on instep for power and inside for finishing is preferred. I've always been one to say a goal is a goal and do whatever works at the time, but teaching youth players to shoot properly using the instep may be hindered when allowing/teching them to use their toe.

Movement off the ball. Proper futsal tactics does not necessarily rely on overloads when attacking as transition is too quick and there is no offsides (i.e. preventing counterattacks is more important than creating overloads). Generally players create space through movement by constantly shifting positions. When a back moves forward, the forward moves back. When a back moves across, another player fills in the gap created, etc. These movement patterns are different than the movement patterns seen in 11v11 because of the number of players, size of the field, and offsides law. Given movement off the ball is often one of the most difficult and confusing things for youth players to learn and develop properly, especially in the context of positions and formations in 11v11, confusing them with different patterns of movement in futsal may not be productive.

This isn't a knock on futsal. I love the game, coach the game and my kids both play/ed it. But I usually have to temper this enthusiasm with "you're playing futsal to become a better soccer player and have fun, not to become a pro futsal player".

Comment

You don’t understand what the other poster is saying because of your limited knowledge. There are “Futsal” players as in they ONLY play futsal and train and compete. The game is actually very different than the bastardization of futsal here in the northeast which allows waaaay more contact mirroring soccer play. True Futsal is played with little to no contact - no shoulder to shoulder, no kicking at legs and feet, etc. Yep top youth soccer players up here play futsal but a true futsal player doesn’t play soccer.

Comment

You don’t understand what the other poster is saying because of your limited knowledge. There are “Futsal” players as in they ONLY play futsal and train and compete. The game is actually very different than the bastardization of futsal here in the northeast which allows waaaay more contact mirroring soccer play. True Futsal is played with little to no contact - no shoulder to shoulder, no kicking at legs and feet, etc. Yep top youth soccer players up here play futsal but a true futsal player doesn’t play soccer.
                  There are some futsal programs in the N'East that do try to play it the "right way". FutsalNH, Safira, Ginga, Samba, etc. will concentrate on futsal. But, the skill will meet the level of the competition and games more often than not turn into soccer on a basketball court.

I hold no doubt it pails to a "true" futsal program in other parts of the world, though...

Comment

So, I have limited knowledge because I am not comparing futsal being played by U12-U19 players in the Northeast to professional futsal being played in Brazil and other parts of the world?

for the record, the thread was about using futsal as a development tool....

I'll anxiously await as you drop more of your professional futsal knowledge here...

Comment

So, I have limited knowledge because I am not comparing futsal being played by U12-U19 players in the Northeast to professional futsal being played in Brazil and other parts of the world?

for the record, the thread was about using futsal as a development tool....

I'll anxiously await as you drop more of your professional futsal knowledge here...
                      Now you’re just arguing to argue. Everyone here has said it is a good tool to develop better foot skills. What people have said is it’s more different than some think and it can develop bad habits and older players can feel the need to stop playing since the techniques are so different. So Avery can still play Futsal and become the next Mallory Pugh. Don’t worry.

Comment

Now you’re just arguing to argue. Everyone here has said it is a good tool to develop better foot skills. What people have said is it’s more different than some think and it can develop bad habits and older players can feel the need to stop playing since the techniques are so different. So Avery can still play Futsal and become the next Mallory Pugh. Don’t worry.
                        I'm not the one that started throwing insults--that was you.

If you're going to say that people have limited knowledge, perhaps you can post your soccer resume...

Comment

Not sure when I ever referred to my own kid's level of play (newsflash: I didn't), but you are a typical TS keyboard warrior throwing out foolish statements like this. Since you brought it up, perhaps you're the one fixated on your own child's rapid ascent to professional soccer. Making sure they don't pick up those bad futsal habits.

Comment

Question. Do teams in warm weather areas play futsal or just stick with soccer?

Comment

Question. Do teams in warm weather areas play futsal or just stick with soccer?
                              "Depends"

There are futsal specific programs out there, pretty popular in California.

But, many (most, some, a bunch) high-level programs Nationwide offer futsal training in addition to their soccer training. They could do a futsal session 1-2 times a week as part of their normal program.

In the N'East, it's positioned as an alternative to indoor soccer, but it's really a separate entity and can be played year round. I now of futsal programs here who offer training all year long.

Comment

My kid played futsal for years before getting involved in outdoor soccer beyond the rec level. My advice is that futsal is great but beware focusing on it too much, unless your goal is to only play it. My kid ended up with lots of skill but it took serious work to get to where she's playing the system outdoors and not just using technical ability to overcome every obstacle.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X