Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    But their "competition" for major DI scholarships were playing girls DA... if you are that good - you are that good regardless of playing ECNL, NPL, etc...
    What are you talking about? Girls DA is 2 years old.

Comment

But their "competition" for major DI scholarships were playing girls DA... if you are that good - you are that good regardless of playing ECNL, NPL, etc...
      No their competition was not since DA for girls began last year and there were two clubs in Mass offering it and now this year one club in Mass and one in NH. Prior to that the ENCL was the top division for girls and there are two clubs in Mass that offer that level then and now.

What people who think they know what they are talking about and don’t say is a player that is really good is a player that is really good regardless of club or level. This is simply not true. Why? Because a very talented 12 year old in top NEP (now most teams in New England NPL) needs to continue to grow and develop and they will only stay stagnate playing in the same league. The pace of the game and the skill of the opponents actually decreases after U13 because many of the very good players move up to higher teams in higher divisions. I’ve seen many very good players at 11 and 12 stay on lower level teams and when they are 15 or 16 they realize that division 1 is completely out of the question. They go to ID clinics and are lost. They don’t know advanced drills and even terms and strategies that girls playing in higher leagues have learned over the last few years and the speed of the game stuns them. I’m not saying they can’t work hard and improve and become equal once again to their same age counterparts who did move up, but at 16 they won’t be pulled onto better teams based on potential. The competition and numbers are just too high.

That’s why all the best girls from a small state like NH played in MA. The competition and level of play is greater with a higher population, larger better funded clubs and facilities and the sheer numbers push the best together to create a very strong and deep team that pushes everyone. Say what you will and stay stagnate and see where you end up.

Comment

That’s why all the best girls from a small state like NH played in MA. The competition and level of play is greater with a higher population, larger better funded clubs and facilities and the sheer numbers push the best together to create a very strong and deep team that pushes everyone. Say what you will and stay stagnate and see where you end up.
        As long as one states "all the best girls from the state" you lose me.

No, not ALL the best girls from the state play in MA.

Many very, very good players from the state choose to play in MA, but many others chose not to.

Comment

As long as one states "all the best girls from the state" you lose me.

No, not ALL the best girls from the state play in MA.

Many very, very good players from the state choose to play in MA, but many others chose not to.
          Perfectly put.

Comment

Rumors from Fl showcase that both NYCSC and NEFC are pulling out of GDA next year. Wonder what other New England/NY clubs will jump in? GPS most likely. Hmmm.

Comment

No their competition was not since DA for girls began last year and there were two clubs in Mass offering it and now this year one club in Mass and one in NH. Prior to that the ENCL was the top division for girls and there are two clubs in Mass that offer that level then and now.

What people who think they know what they are talking about and don’t say is a player that is really good is a player that is really good regardless of club or level. This is simply not true. Why? Because a very talented 12 year old in top NEP (now most teams in New England NPL) needs to continue to grow and develop and they will only stay stagnate playing in the same league. The pace of the game and the skill of the opponents actually decreases after U13 because many of the very good players move up to higher teams in higher divisions. I’ve seen many very good players at 11 and 12 stay on lower level teams and when they are 15 or 16 they realize that division 1 is completely out of the question. They go to ID clinics and are lost. They don’t know advanced drills and even terms and strategies that girls playing in higher leagues have learned over the last few years and the speed of the game stuns them. I’m not saying they can’t work hard and improve and become equal once again to their same age counterparts who did move up, but at 16 they won’t be pulled onto better teams based on potential. The competition and numbers are just too high.

Right. A 12 year old makes the soccer decisions. Parents drank some club kool-aid,
              didn't think soccer was that important, or didn't have a long term plan.
              I agree with most of your post, but blame the parent's lack of understanding
              and planning, not the child's actions. Put that under things as a parent that I
              f*cked up on my child and I will secretly regret it all my life. Tears....

Comment

Right. A 12 year old makes the soccer decisions. Parents drank some club kool-aid,
                didn't think soccer was that important, or didn't have a long term plan.
                I agree with most of your post, but blame the parent's lack of understanding
                and planning, not the child's actions. Put that under things as a parent that I
                f*cked up on my child and I will secretly regret it all my life. Tears....
                Is your kid a crack-whore now? Then why did you F*** up? Because she isn't on the NT? Give me a break. If you went bananas and pushed her to this club and that chasing greatness you would just be another cra-cra soccer dad who thinks his kid is special. Chances are she would have burned out (like so many do) and ended up hating soccer and regretting doing your bidding. If she wanted it and worked hard to earn it, she would have sought your help. If she didn't you did the right thing. You can't earn greatness for them. I moved my kid from an ECNL team that she has played on for the past few years just before her senior year. I was sick of watching them play so poorly and the money was ridiculous. I just couldn't stand watching it anymore. The team she want to was much better and I enjoyed their style of play much better, but my daughter only new 1 or 2 kids casually when we got there and she left behind all of her really good friends at the other club. That is regrettable on my part and if I could do it all again, we would have paid the money so she could finish out her club career with the crappy team she started with. There is more to club soccer than just the game. My other two kids now play at the clubs they are at (and love it) and if they want more (or less), they have to ask. They are both very good players (and each of their teams has a few better players and many worse players). I wish their teams would play less selfishly most of the time, but I am now recognizing that this is America and those teams are very rare and that my kids can learn a lot by being much more selfish at times (when they get frustrated). If they want more, they can have it, but now, THEY have to initiate it.

Comment

Is your kid a crack-whore now? Then why did you F*** up? Because she isn't on the NT? Give me a break. If you went bananas and pushed her to this club and that chasing greatness you would just be another cra-cra soccer dad who thinks his kid is special. Chances are she would have burned out (like so many do) and ended up hating soccer and regretting doing your bidding. If she wanted it and worked hard to earn it, she would have sought your help. If she didn't you did the right thing. You can't earn greatness for them. I moved my kid from an ECNL team that she has played on for the past few years just before her senior year. I was sick of watching them play so poorly and the money was ridiculous. I just couldn't stand watching it anymore. The team she want to was much better and I enjoyed their style of play much better, but my daughter only new 1 or 2 kids casually when we got there and she left behind all of her really good friends at the other club. That is regrettable on my part and if I could do it all again, we would have paid the money so she could finish out her club career with the crappy team she started with. There is more to club soccer than just the game. My other two kids now play at the clubs they are at (and love it) and if they want more (or less), they have to ask. They are both very good players (and each of their teams has a few better players and many worse players). I wish their teams would play less selfishly most of the time, but I am now recognizing that this is America and those teams are very rare and that my kids can learn a lot by being much more selfish at times (when they get frustrated). If they want more, they can have it, but now, THEY have to initiate it.

I once moved my kid to a better team and better coach but in the end what mattered most to my child were the friendships and then the soccer. Since then I stopped making the soccer decisions and just let my kid dictate where to play and how much. Bottom line it is their dream not ours. My attitude and goal now as a parent is to just keep my kid in sports and away from all the bad influences. There is a lot of good that comes out of team sports and it doesn't need to involve a ton of money or NT aspirations.

Comment

Absolutely they have to want it, whatever "it" is.

Comment

And.....inhale......exhale. Good. My attempt to be snarky and funny. Relax.
                      Actually, you are good parent. You did something about this.
                      Many parents are clueless or wait too long before realizing that things need to change.
                      You can't expect a 12 year old girl to do this by herself. My point and your point exactly.
                      Must have gotten some flak by somebody to be so triggered. Not everybody on TS is a
                      troll or *********.

Comment

I agree with your first few thoughts but there must be more to your story. If your daughter was on an ECNL team and was an impact player, I don’t see you moving her before her senior year? Wasn’t she committed already? What did the college coach say about moving from ECNL to a lower league?

Comment

I agree with your first few thoughts but there must be more to your story. If your daughter was on an ECNL team and was an impact player, I don’t see you moving her before her senior year? Wasn’t she committed already? What did the college coach say about moving from ECNL to a lower league?
                          She was a defensive player and starter on a bad team. It's a tough place to showcase skill when her team rarely demonstrated any. It was just pathetic soccer. The kids were better than they showed and were not forced to possess the ball. The ball always moved North as almost all of the players thought every touch had to be toward the goal ..... even if 4 defenders stood in their path. Most were not smart enough to combine or play the ball out of trouble; they often tried to dribble through it. It was just tough to watch and as a defensive player, it was just bad. I almost moved her a year or two earlier and wish that I had (would have been more beneficial for her and far less traumatic).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X