Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    True but that is a very local list of schools, all of which could have been accomplished without the absurd cost of ECNL. Good schools, yes many of them are. Big national powerhouses from the far reaches of the USA, no. It just goes to show that this idea that ECNL is a one way ticket to UNC or UCLA is totally false fopr 99% of the players, just like it was for GDA.

ECNL isn’t any more expensive than other travel sports. I played hockey and my equipment each year cost as much as ECNL tuition. AAU basket ball is the same other than teams that are really elite and funded by the shoe companies. It’s expensive to have coaches, facilities etc. Piano lessons run $60 an hour and cost as much for a year as ECNL for way less time.

I just don’t get people who rail against the cost and travel when there are many other options available, you don’t have to play ECNL.

Comment

There are very few elite players. PERIOD. Players who are truly nationally recruited are rare. The magic comes in making parents believe that playing nationally equals being nationally recruited.

It takes a certain type of kid who wants to go across coast. I do Laugh at the UNC references. Almost implies that you need to be a great soccer player to play there ;)
      Whew - can feel the jealousy through the screen.

Comment

ECNL isn’t any more expensive than other travel sports. I played hockey and my equipment each year cost as much as ECNL tuition. AAU basket ball is the same other than teams that are really elite and funded by the shoe companies. It’s expensive to have coaches, facilities etc. Piano lessons run $60 an hour and cost as much for a year as ECNL for way less time.

I just don’t get people who rail against the cost and travel when there are many other options available, you don’t have to play ECNL.
        All of the sports are criticized in exactly the same way. They have all become highly monetized and exclusionary.

Comment

never understand the need to justify a list. Kids are all different. If they got in to the schools they wanted, good for them. If the list is supposed to reflect really good soccer, then people can debate it. Point is that the soccer machine seems to need all the PR it can get.
          Average players go to average schools, lots of mediocrity on that list.

Comment

Average players go to average schools, lots of mediocrity on that list.
            average players also go to great schools and to terrible schools. what does soccer ability have to do with academics? nothing. If you have great ability you can try to use it to access admittance to quality academic institution but some may not want to do that. to each her/his own.

Comment

True but that is a very local list of schools, all of which could have been accomplished without the absurd cost of ECNL. Good schools, yes many of them are. Big national powerhouses from the far reaches of the USA, no. It just goes to show that this idea that ECNL is a one way ticket to UNC or UCLA is totally false fopr 99% of the players, just like it was for GDA.
              It will always come down to the player regardless of the league they play. But, playing ECNL puts the player in the position to be seen by these national powerhouses. Go look on these top schools rosters and see that they are dominated by EDNL, DA and international players. The UNC’s & UCLA that you reference are for sure standing on the sidelines at ECNL events and judge those players against similar competitive players who compete on a higher level than teams from other leagues. That’s just the way it is.

Comment

average players also go to great schools and to terrible schools. what does soccer ability have to do with academics? nothing. If you have great ability you can try to use it to access admittance to quality academic institution but some may not want to do that. to each her/his own.
                Hahaha, Gabby got into Columbia because her dad works there.

Comment

OK. I am sure your kid wold be going to Columbia if you only had a job there.

Comment

OK. I am sure your kid wold be going to Columbia if you only had a job there.
                    Indeed, just like her.

Comment

You must work at Columbia admissions and have seen her file. I’m sure it gives you great pleasure knocking other people’s daughters down - anonymously. You are a hero. This country needs more of your kind.

Comment

You must work at Columbia admissions and have seen her file. I’m sure it gives you great pleasure knocking other people’s daughters down - anonymously. You are a hero. This country needs more of your kind.
                        Just following my commander and chief, this country needs less nepotism and more realism

Comment

Soccer had zero influence on her admission to the school, whether her connections did is debatable, but since this is a soccer forum we should discuss how soccer should of helped, but in her case, not so much.

Comment

Montclair State?
                            Marywood College??
                            Farmindale State???

Ugh....
                            William Smith is the most impressive on that list. Top 5 soccer program every year and top notch academics!
                            That kid must be something special

Comment

William Smith is the most impressive on that list. Top 5 soccer program every year and top notch academics!
                              That kid must be something special
                              And before any of you clowns chime in with the whole D3 thing. They have beaten and tied nationally ranked division one teams.

Comment

Impressive list of colleges. Congratulations to all of the players

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X