Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It's definitely a tough sell. The team is meh and the school's academics are far from a national level. I see them comparable to a UNF, Stetson, or Jacksonville, minus the D1 participation. Eckhart, Lynn, Rollins, etc. are also D2 schools, but much, much smaller than Tampa. I believe that Tampa is even bigger than Stetson and UNF. And that is what makes it that much more difficult for a decent player to look at Tampa. Most Florida players are going to be good, but not Top 5 D1 powerhouse players. Those same students will most likely qualify for Bright Futures. They are then posed with a choice of playing soccer at a small regional school (Tampa, Rollins, etc.) or attending a national university (UCF, FSU, UF). Not an easy choice.
    Stetson and Rollins have much better academics and are actually recognized as real colleges. U Tampa is not.

Comment

Here is UT's schedule; https://www.tampaspartans.com/sports...19-20/schedule

On game day, go live stream the game, you decide if UT is the caliber DII team your kids wants to play for. Living in Tampa, my family has had a few opportunities to watch from the stands. IMO, UT is not very good, but better than Eckert (seen them too). They both play a similar style, 1980 something kick and chase. Not real possession or small ball, mostly very direct and over the top, hoping to get lucky and out run the opposing defense.

UT was better a few years ago with the previous coach.
      https://www.tampaspartans.com/sports...yearly-results
      As you can see, since the new coach took over in 2015, UT is mostly less than .500.

UT's AD should make a change.
      Didn’t they just make it to conference final a year or two ago? Looks like having a good conference record this year so far. Getting a point from Nova is good result. So do you go on talking bad about PBA, Barry, Eckert, FIT... all the teams that Tampa is better than in conference?

Give it a rest.
      2017 was a fluke, UT finished 5th in the conference with a 4-5-1 record....BELOW .500!!!! got lucky at NSU (who was ranked 1st that year (8-1-1))

The current coach has not improved since she took control of the team. Bring Gerry Lucey back!!!! Better yet, lets bring back a Tampa favorite.... George Fotopoulos

Comment

But you are the loser coming here for advice
        Bingo

Comment

Stetson and Rollins have much better academics and are actually recognized as real colleges. U Tampa is not.
          How is UT not a real school. It's ranking are pretty average but not horrible. For most kids average fits.

Comment

How is UT not a real school. It's ranking are pretty average but not horrible. For most kids average fits.
            Agreed. Not a national powerhouse, but recognized within the region. Stetson and Rollins combined are still smaller than most high schools.

Comment

Not that I am against UT in any way but from what I have seen they are pretty middle of the road for both academics and soccer. For me the price tag just doesn't make sense. Pushing 30k/year for average just doesnt make sense to me. Could go a lot of places as an out of state student and still pay a lot less, and come away with a better experience.

lets be real playing for UT isnt exactly a professional or NT feeder system, at that point play intramurals and get a marginally better education for half the price.

Comment

100% agree
                And if you are local, get away from mommy & daddy for four years. Your kid will be better off for it later.

Comment

Not that I am against UT in any way but from what I have seen they are pretty middle of the road for both academics and soccer. For me the price tag just doesn't make sense. Pushing 30k/year for average just doesnt make sense to me. Could go a lot of places as an out of state student and still pay a lot less, and come away with a better experience.

lets be real playing for UT isnt exactly a professional or NT feeder system, at that point play intramurals and get a marginally better education for half the price.
                  UT is very generous with academic money. Bright Future recipients receive an additional 15-18k. Add the BF money and you are right around 12-15k per year. If the player gets any athletic money and gets total costs down near 10-12k, you are right at what it costs for a state university.

Comment

100% agree
                    And if you are local, get away from mommy & daddy for four years. Your kid will be better off for it later.
                    I never said my kid goes there, I just pointed out facts. UT under the current coach is not very good.

Comment

I never said my kid goes there, I just pointed out facts. UT under the current coach is not very good.
                      Never said your kid did, just a general statement.

Comment

Never said your kid did, just a general statement.
                        If you currently live in Tampa, go to school somewhere else. Same as for kids that live near any college or University. If finances permit, move away. College is about more than just academics, especially for our generation of children. Gen X got slammed so bad from the baby boomers that we overcompensated.

Comment

UT is very generous with academic money. Bright Future recipients receive an additional 15-18k. Add the BF money and you are right around 12-15k per year. If the player gets any athletic money and gets total costs down near 10-12k, you are right at what it costs for a state university.
                          while you are not incorrect the state schools also offer aid (while admittedly not as high dollar amounts the %rates are comparable... so the same student gets some academic based scholarships and is paying 5-6k out of pocket. Assume your kids parents are as broke as mine were, graduate 20k in debt, or graduate 40k in debt.

The only real upside I see to UT is if you plan to live out your life in the tampa area (soccer related or otherwise) the local network it pretty good.

Comment

while you are not incorrect the state schools also offer aid (while admittedly not as high dollar amounts the %rates are comparable... so the same student gets some academic based scholarships and is paying 5-6k out of pocket. Assume your kids parents are as broke as mine were, graduate 20k in debt, or graduate 40k in debt.

The only real upside I see to UT is if you plan to live out your life in the tampa area (soccer related or otherwise) the local network it pretty good.
                            5-6k is about what most parents spend for travel soccer annually. as we know, youth travel soccer is pay to play. why would college be any different?

Comment

If your player likes UT then that’s all that matters!

Comment

5-6k is about what most parents spend for travel soccer annually. as we know, youth travel soccer is pay to play. why would college be any different?
                                Its not.... but would you pay 12-13k for a year of CDL level soccer... especially when the going rate for that quality is 5-6K?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X