Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junior Varsity coach

I just witnessed a jv boys game. It was worse coaching then that of a ymca Rec team from one team. Do u even have to know what a soccer ball is to coach at that level? Absolutely no fundamentals From the coach or the players. It was disgusting listening to the coach tell the kids all the wrong things making them get far worse then they should be. Why would you have someone or want a coach with absolutely no idea take a paying gig coaching at a high school level. Emberassed for both the players, parents and the school. Not just for the lack of knowledge about the game but also for the way he acted like a complete Moron

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I just witnessed a jv boys game. It was worse coaching then that of a ymca Rec team from one team. Do u even have to know what a soccer ball is to coach at that level? Absolutely no fundamentals From the coach or the players. It was disgusting listening to the coach tell the kids all the wrong things making them get far worse then they should be. Why would you have someone or want a coach with absolutely no idea take a paying gig coaching at a high school level. Emberassed for both the players, parents and the school. Not just for the lack of knowledge about the game but also for the way he acted like a complete Moron
    When you say “no fundamentals from the coach or the players” it seems poor coaching is only half the equation. If HS age boys don’t know the fundamentals of the game by now, then I feel sorry for the coach. Maybe you should volunteer to lend your boundless soccer wisdom?

Comment

the line is out the door for sub-varsity coaching jobs

Comment

Not saying it’s not on just the Coach but come on put a little bit of effort into learning at least the basics of the game. Such as what Positions Are and there responsibilities etc.

Comment

Maybe Pep turned down the job for a better opportunity. If you are losing sleep while worrying that your JV player is not getting his fundamentals in high school soccer, perhaps you should
          apply for the “paid gig”. Or pay for your kid to get some training, that they should have gotten already.

Comment

The pay sucks so you’re lucky to get a teacher who played in HS and wants to earn a few bucks. Many JV programs are “no cut” programs. You get kids who have no business being on a soccer pitch. No amount of coaching is going to fix that.

Comment

The pay sucks so you’re lucky to get a teacher who played in HS and wants to earn a few bucks. Many JV programs are “no cut” programs. You get kids who have no business being on a soccer pitch. No amount of coaching is going to fix that.
              Exactly. I'm not sure what the OP expects at that level. The pay is an absolute joke and any coach with some experience/knowledge will be searching for varsity coaching jobs. They have to work with what they have in front of them, teach as much as they can during the limited training sessions they have shoed-in between a busy game schedule. The V coach will cherry pick the better players during the season too.

If the OP's kid wasn't good enough to make V he should be asking himself why and what his kid should be doing on his own to get better.

Comment

Relax. It’s high school soccer, JV soccer, not the training camp for the National Team.

Comment

Relax. It’s high school soccer, JV soccer, not the training camp for the National Team.
                  This is completely the wrong attitude and is indicative of our failed system.
                  EVERYBODY in every other country in the world knows how to play. They may not have the athleticism of their top flight peers, but they can walk out and play in the park.
                  Therefore, the best have to work a little harder to get the attention: we limit our talent pool by our own lack of numbers.
                  And all coaches should have some knowledge of the game, just like a math teacher should grasp the fundamentals of math.

We are sorely limited in this country by exactly the above situation

Comment

Probably a couple hundred grand spent on club soccer out on that field too. What a business!

Comment

EVERYBODY in every other country in the world knows how to play. They may not have the athleticism of their top flight peers, but they can walk out and play in the park.
                      Therefore, the best have to work a little harder to get the attention: we limit our talent pool by our own lack of numbers.
                      And all coaches should have some knowledge of the game, just like a math teacher should grasp the fundamentals of math.

As parents there is little we can do about it. Sure I'd like to see us develop more of a soccer culture in this country but that's completely out of my control. I'm just trying to guide my kids through the formative academic and athletic years as best I can. My job isn't to lift US soccer in popularity. Nor is it the job of school administrators. Both our boys and girls coaches are club coaches. One is very good in H.S. and club, the other is not but is at no risk of losing his job. Why? Because the team does just fine and there's no controversies. To a school and AD smooth sailing is a good thing. Where are they supposed to find all these well trained coaches willing to deal with low pay, low quality teams, pita parents and school administrators?

Comment

As parents there is little we can do about it. Sure I'd like to see us develop more of a soccer culture in this country but that's completely out of my control. I'm just trying to guide my kids through the formative academic and athletic years as best I can. My job isn't to lift US soccer in popularity. Nor is it the job of school administrators. Both our boys and girls coaches are club coaches. One is very good in H.S. and club, the other is not but is at no risk of losing his job. Why? Because the team does just fine and there's no controversies. To a school and AD smooth sailing is a good thing. Where are they supposed to find all these well trained coaches willing to deal with low pay, low quality teams, pita parents and school administrators?
                        Which all adds up to failure...which is apparent in more than just soccer.
                        Sub standards are accepted in all facets of our education system nowadays

Comment

Why don’t you go to the next school committee budget meeting, and push for increased funds for JV high school soccer coaches. Cause it’s so important, like way more important than stem programs and advanced math and science classes. What are your priorities? I don’t consisted my kid limited, if they don’t get coach of the year for their JV team. There is a plethora of clubs to fulfill that need, if necessary.

Comment

Perhaps you could offer to help out as a volunteer, rather than venting online. People love to complain, but they rarely step up and actually do something.

Comment

#1 Was not my kids team he plays club and varsity for a different school.
                              #2 It’s ok for someone to coach a team with no knowledge of the game? let’s just be lucky there is someone that is coaching attitude is what’s wrong with are system.
                              #3 Is he or is he not getting paid to do a job? It was not his kids lack of skill on the field it was him giving them all the wrong information. What if a math teacher was teaching your kids the wrong answers to math problems, would you say that’s fine if the parents don’t like it why don’t they volunteer to teach the kids?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X