Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ran into a dad from our town, well known for his craziness in pushing his kids hard in soccer and other sports. I think was even discussed on this board at one point. Got me to thinking about a few other nutty parents who had kids around my player's ages. These kids were good players but not amazing. Some never even made it to a college roster because they had quit by the time recruiting time came around. Of the ones that did, not one is playing in college any more. Meanwhile many of the ones who just worked hard, kept working at their craft, had (relatively) normal, supportive parents are still playing. Go figure.
    YEA! been coaching for about 20 years and never saw a no talent kid who worked hard make it
    and have seen tons who had talent and didnt do the work make it
    high talent with work ethic make it every time and there are a lot of those kids

which kid is yours

Comment

you dont state a solution-you just try to shut an alternative opinion down
      offer a solution
      Advice - Focus on school first, soccer second. Pay more attention to time for SATs than flying to tournaments. There is a lot more $$ for merit. Put soccer into perspective.

Comment

Advice - Focus on school first, soccer second. Pay more attention to time for SATs than flying to tournaments. There is a lot more $$ for merit. Put soccer into perspective.
        tell that to the kid that got a full ride to a good school doing what she loves
        i get your point but the paths are different,and if a kid can do it either way thats awesome, but for most soccer is the ticket to a reach school
        pro sports is littered with athletes that didnt heed your sage advice and are worth millions
        the streets are also littered with athletes that didnt make the cut

Comment

i get your point but the paths are different,and if a kid can do it either way thats awesome, but for most soccer is the ticket to a reach school
          pro sports is littered with athletes that didnt heed your sage advice and are worth millions
          Enough with the full ride BS. Very few kids will get that. For boys it's even lower odds. Then the odds of playing all four years is also low. in the end the school matters most. No one is going pro and there's no money in soccer. Soccer families skew more affluent and better educated. They're focused on the educational piece and if they get a nice package - again, won't be a full - out of the deal they won the lottery. If it's half off but a great school, they'll gladly pay the rest.

Comment

'worth millions?" We are talking soccer. A successful pro needs a second job just to scrape by. Is that what you are driving your poor kid towards?
            As the other poster correctly points out, very few get a full ride. And even if they get a chunk of change, that makes it even worse if they end up on the bench. Coach wants them off the team. Add on the fact that it may not even be a good academic fit and their commitment to soccer often limits options while they are at the school.
            Go back to OP and look at the percentages from CT's 'best'

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X