Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True cost of ECNL soccer

Just curious about the true costs of ECNL and whether it is worth it – most clubs aren’t very transparent about the travel costs involved. However, one club included the following on their website:

--------------------------------

Registration Cost 14U-19U - 10 payments of $315 per player ($3,150)
    This cost includes coaching fees, indoor and outdoor practice and game fields, all event registration costs, goalkeeper training, club support, and game film. Teams will practice up to 4 times per week and will play 30-40 games during the 2019-2020 season, including 3 showcase events.

Then add...

Travel Cost 14U-19U - 10 payments of $650 per player ($6,500)
    This cost includes air or bus travel for all away games and events, lodging for all overnight trips, and meals while traveling. Teams will travel to 12-15 events during the 2019-2020 season.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just curious about the true costs of ECNL and whether it is worth it – most clubs aren’t very transparent about the travel costs involved. However, one club included the following on their website:

This cost includes coaching fees, indoor and outdoor practice and game fields, all event registration costs, goalkeeper training, club support, and game film. Teams will practice up to 4 times per week and will play 30-40 games during the 2019-2020 season, including 3 showcase events.

Then add...

This cost includes air or bus travel for all away games and events, lodging for all overnight trips, and meals while traveling. Teams will travel to 12-15 events during the 2019-2020 season.
    Very old news and this post was taken off another thread from another state that has greater travel than the NE Division of ECNL and DA. But if your child is playing in a higher level league, like DA, ECNL or USYS Regional and National league the costs will be higher than playing standard travel soccer. We all have choices.

Comment

Then add...

All the DA and ECNL clubs in Pennsylvania are transparent. They give you the costs and payment schedule upfront, most at tryouts. There is little in the way of surprises. SJB are a bit more unorganized, but Penn Fusion, PDA and Continental FC all were very clear about the costs at tryouts. Parents know before they agree to playing on the team.

Comment

All the DA and ECNL clubs in Pennsylvania are transparent. They give you the costs and payment schedule upfront, most at tryouts. There is little in the way of surprises. SJB are a bit more unorganized, but Penn Fusion, PDA and Continental FC all were very clear about the costs at tryouts. Parents know before they agree to playing on the team.
        Yeah the teams give you the costs and are upfront with it. The costs are not as high as the original post indicates.

Ecnl and da are the best league in country and will be higher than rec leagues like edp and icsl. Those will be much cheaper but you get what you pay for.

All about choices and what best fits your child’s skill and dedication.

Comment

Yeah the teams give you the costs and are upfront with it. The costs are not as high as the original post indicates.

Ecnl and da are the best league in country and will be higher than rec leagues like edp and icsl. Those will be much cheaper but you get what you pay for.

All about choices and what best fits your child’s skill and dedication.
          Not too many clubs transparent about travel costs. Hard to do upfront. You gotta figure at least 10-12 hotel nights between away ecnl games, tournaments and showcase. More if you make ecnl post season. Average cost is $200/night. So minimum is $2000-2400 in hotel. Add to that the cost of gas, tolls, food and airfare and rental car for showcases and ecnl post season and it could easily be another $2500 on top of the hotel costs.

Comment

I just quickly ran the numbers. If you make an initial investment of $10,000, and then every year for the next 6 years (u13-u19), make another investment of $10,000 at the beginning of the year. At the end of those 6 years, earning a very easily attainable 6-7% return, you would have just over $90,000. Do you think your kid is good enough to get a scholarship greater than that - considering womens soccer is an equivalency sport and full rides are rare? If so, go for it. If not, you are better off saving your money and just having your kid play somewhere else that is less expensive.

Comment

I just quickly ran the numbers. If you make an initial investment of $10,000, and then every year for the next 6 years (u13-u19), make another investment of $10,000 at the beginning of the year. At the end of those 6 years, earning a very easily attainable 6-7% return, you would have just over $90,000. Do you think your kid is good enough to get a scholarship greater than that - considering womens soccer is an equivalency sport and full rides are rare? If so, go for it. If not, you are better off saving your money and just having your kid play somewhere else that is less expensive.
              Some people can afford the 5-6k a year (more realistic cost per year). There are rec leagues (pags , edp) that can cost you 2-3k a year. But you get what you pay for there. No competition and kids not challenged. If your kid just likes soccer and is an ok player then do rec league. That’s fine. But if they really love soccer, good enough, and welcomes the challenge of playing in top league in country then the cost is worth it.

Choices. No one is forcing anyone to play in one or the other.

Comment

Some people can afford the 5-6k a year (more realistic cost per year). There are rec leagues (pags , edp) that can cost you 2-3k a year. But you get what you pay for there. No competition and kids not challenged. If your kid just likes soccer and is an ok player then do rec league. That’s fine. But if they really love soccer, good enough, and welcomes the challenge of playing in top league in country then the cost is worth it.

Choices. No one is forcing anyone to play in one or the other.
                I think 5-6K is a pretty low estimate. Just hotel costs, ECNL fee, club fee and uniform put you in that range. And then you still have other travel costs, like airfare, tolls, gas, rental cars, etc.

Comment

I think 5-6K is a pretty low estimate. Just hotel costs, ECNL fee, club fee and uniform put you in that range. And then you still have other travel costs, like airfare, tolls, gas, rental cars, etc.
                  Yeah but if you and your child are happy with rec level soccer then stay put. Just know there will be not much of a challenge there.

What does your child want? Maybe if they are a good player and want to be challenged try ecnl. Yes expensive but it is by far best league in country for girls.

Comment

Yeah but if you and your child are happy with rec level soccer then stay put. Just know there will be not much of a challenge there.

What does your child want? Maybe if they are a good player and want to be challenged try ecnl. Yes expensive but it is by far best league in country for girls.
                    Makes sense - but spending all that money just because it is more of a "challenge" seems kind of crazy, not to mention, not everyone can afford it.

Comment

You lost me at "by far".

Good...great? Yes. Better than other options? Likely, depending on several factors.

By far? No.

Comment

You lost me at "by far".

Good...great? Yes. Better than other options? Likely, depending on several factors.

By far? No.
                        If you have played in other leagues like pags ,edp or icsl and have seen ecnl or Gda then you know ecnl/Gda is far better. Edp, icsl.... they are rec leagues. I’ve seen it.

But if ok with rec league soccer then stay in those leagues. If your child wants to play at the highest level and you can afford it then try ecnl.

Comment

If you have played in other leagues like pags ,edp or icsl and have seen ecnl or Gda then you know ecnl/Gda is far better. Edp, icsl.... they are rec leagues. I’ve seen it.

But if ok with rec league soccer then stay in those leagues. If your child wants to play at the highest level and you can afford it then try ecnl.

I agree with the first statement above.

I don't agree with the statement which I replied to.

I have nothing against ECNL, but for many families there is another alternative to consider which is close (some would argue it's equal).

But, I don't want to turn this into yet another one of those debates. I agree with your premise you are trying to communicate.

Comment

I agree with the first statement above.

I don't agree with the statement which I replied to.

I have nothing against ECNL, but for many families there is another alternative to consider which is close (some would argue it's equal).

But, I don't want to turn this into yet another one of those debates. I agree with your premise you are trying to communicate.
                            What is the alternative that is “close” to ecnl?

I don’t work for ecnl but have been around the block when it comes to youth soccer and the various leagues. There is nothing close to ecnl / Gda. There just isn’t. Whoever told you that had some other motives.

Comment

What is the alternative that is “close” to ecnl?

I don’t work for ecnl but have been around the block when it comes to youth soccer and the various leagues. There is nothing close to ecnl / Gda. There just isn’t. Whoever told you that had some other motives.
                              You just answered your own question.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X