Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ya, let's have a discussion about what might have happened ten years ago.
    We were talking about current kids on current rosters like UVA/Duke and other top level teams that went through it. Obviously these kids are not 10 years out. Get a calendar.

Maybe they could do something to bring a system like this back. A system that is not club centric that looks to develop the player; focus on the player not the club.

Comment

Of interest to the calendar scholar, ECNL which was founded 2009 (that is 10 yrs ago) had only 40 clubs in it for U15, U16 and U17, only.

Comment

We were talking about current kids on current rosters like UVA/Duke and other top level teams that went through it. Obviously these kids are not 10 years out. Get a calendar.

Maybe they could do something to bring a system like this back. A system that is not club centric that looks to develop the player; focus on the player not the club.
        Don't know what you all are trying to say. My kid is sophomore on a similar team and they were heavily involved in ODP. It's a big part of the reason why they are where they are. They started in ODP at 12 and are now going on 20 so 8 years ago it was relevant. I feel sorry for the dumb fools who drank the ECNL koolaid and now have kids struggling because they weren't developed properly to succeed at the college level.

Comment

Don't know what you all are trying to say. My kid is sophomore on a similar team and they were heavily involved in ODP. It's a big part of the reason why they are where they are. They started in ODP at 12 and are now going on 20 so 8 years ago it was relevant. I feel sorry for the dumb fools who drank the ECNL koolaid and now have kids struggling because they weren't developed properly to succeed at the college level.
          No organization really developed players. If you think the one off ODP sessions did good for you. ODP was part of your kids journey along with many other things. Some on field, some off. I dont understand why so many people feel the need to pin development on ONE thing.

Players take ion lots of information from various sources, distill it, and the good ones use it to get better. There is no magic formula or magic league who has the key to development. parents need to stop looking for it externally and focus on their kids. Your kids will be the ones who either run with it or dont.

Comment

All of the bickering that went on about ODP doesn't change the fact that just about every kid who made the state team back when in the day ended up playing in college at some level and all of the kids that made it to the regional pool generally ended up playing at fairly high levels there. The thing about the regional pool in ODP was they typically found what were the best kids from the region at a very early age and brought them together into high powered training groups that both taught them how to play soccer at a higher level than they were at and toughened them to the realities of making it to a big stage. The process was grueling and the kids actually had to work to stay in it but that prepared them to move up to the college ranks. It was a difference maker. Sadly what replaced it was nothing more than a glorified accolade mill run by the clubs.
            Ed tremble is that you?

Comment

I absolutely agree. The post (as it was my post) is disputing that it was ONLY relevant 10 yrs ago. It wasn't.

And for kids that can't afford ECNL or GDA, it's still relevant. ECNL did nothing but provide the place where all the coaches would gather to go shopping. Not for development at all.

Comment

I absolutely agree. The post (as it was my post) is disputing that it was ONLY relevant 10 yrs ago. It wasn't.

And for kids that can't afford ECNL or GDA, it's still relevant. ECNL did nothing but provide the place where all the coaches would gather to go shopping. Not for development at all.
                ECNL would not only give the coaches a place to "gather to go shopping." But I was in a few of the tents, they provided them with great lunches/dinners as well. Serve them a nice platter of food and they will come.

Comment

No organization really developed players. If you think the one off ODP sessions did good for you. ODP was part of your kids journey along with many other things. Some on field, some off. I dont understand why so many people feel the need to pin development on ONE thing.

Players take ion lots of information from various sources, distill it, and the good ones use it to get better. There is no magic formula or magic league who has the key to development. parents need to stop looking for it externally and focus on their kids. Your kids will be the ones who either run with it or dont.
                  This is one of the best posts I've ever read on TS. Truer words never spoken. Clubs and leagues want to take the credit, they sell status to parents as if it's as simple as buying a pathway, and post Instagram messages about this and that player committing to college, and that's where most of the promotion and news updates stop. Genetics, intrinsic motivation and passion to play, and parental support is exponentially more responsible than ODP, ECNL or any club and its pathway for player development.

Comment

This is one of the best posts I've ever read on TS. Truer words never spoken. Clubs and leagues want to take the credit, they sell status to parents as if it's as simple as buying a pathway, and post Instagram messages about this and that player committing to college, and that's where most of the promotion and news updates stop. Genetics, intrinsic motivation and passion to play, and parental support is exponentially more responsible than ODP, ECNL or any club and its pathway for player development.
                    Thank you. Its not that hard. Clubs try so hard to sell you the pathway. Clever buzzwords and catchy slogans. Its aimed at the mid level kid / family who think its easy. Sad part is , it works

Comment

Thank you. Its not that hard. Clubs try so hard to sell you the pathway. Clever buzzwords and catchy slogans. Its aimed at the mid level kid / family who think its easy. Sad part is , it works
                      Business is booming.

Comment

This is a half truth: "Genetics, intrinsic motivation and passion to play, and parental support is exponentially more responsible than ODP, ECNL or any club and its pathway for player development."

For the player that has "genetics, intrinsic motivation and passion to play, and parental support" AND access to ODP, ECNL, etc. they will come out of H.S. a much more competitive player than a player that has genetics, intrinsic motivation and passion to play, and parental support AND only access to a lower level league that culminates in State Cup.

I understand the temptation for bashing ODP, ECNL, etc. but one cannot debate that the level of play is much faster, more technical and involves very gifted athletes - up and down the roster on most teams.

Comment

This is a half truth: "Genetics, intrinsic motivation and passion to play, and parental support is exponentially more responsible than ODP, ECNL or any club and its pathway for player development."

For the player that has "genetics, intrinsic motivation and passion to play, and parental support" AND access to ODP, ECNL, etc. they will come out of H.S. a much more competitive player than a player that has genetics, intrinsic motivation and passion to play, and parental support AND only access to a lower level league that culminates in State Cup.

I understand the temptation for bashing ODP, ECNL, etc. but one cannot debate that the level of play is much faster, more technical and involves very gifted athletes - up and down the roster on most teams.
                          OP. I'm not disagreeing with you "AND" argument, nor am I bashing ODP or ECNL, but it's not a half-truth. The point is that what you've called my half-truth is much closer to being 100% essential to player development, but in the pay-to-play marketing scheme, it is intentionally diminished relative to the kit and badges a player wears. Those are not nearly as essential as they are marketed to be. Quality of coaching, training curriculum and level of competition, etc. all matter, wasn't implying that they don't. They are important and complementary components to the player journey, but they (Girls DA, cross country travel, tournaments, etc.) are marketed quite differently, intentionally, and dishonestly. Our consumer culture mostly doesn't understand that, ever or not until the end of that journey, because in the middle of it all is the emotional impulse of status being fed and satisfied. And it's why US Soccer is teetering on needing yet another reset, plan, etc. That's the only point I was making.

Comment

OP. I'm not disagreeing with you "AND" argument, nor am I bashing ODP or ECNL, but it's not a half-truth. The point is that what you've called my half-truth is much closer to being 100% essential to player development, but in the pay-to-play marketing scheme, it is intentionally diminished relative to the kit and badges a player wears. Those are not nearly as essential as they are marketed to be. Quality of coaching, training curriculum and level of competition, etc. all matter, wasn't implying that they don't. They are important and complementary components to the player journey, but they (Girls DA, cross country travel, tournaments, etc.) are marketed quite differently, intentionally, and dishonestly. Our consumer culture mostly doesn't understand that, ever or not until the end of that journey, because in the middle of it all is the emotional impulse of status being fed and satisfied. And it's why US Soccer is teetering on needing yet another reset, plan, etc. That's the only point I was making.
                            All this discussion is great but BC 8-8-2

Comment

Amen.

Comment

Fine, I'll agree with you that the clubs claim way too much credit for the college outcomes of their players. However, don't get fooled into making the next logical leap and conclude that club soccer is not critical to a player's development. Among the top clubs in this market, one could argue that a focused, talented player will find her way to a good college destination coming from any one of them. But good luck getting a sniff from a P5 school or any top 150RPI program if you're not coming from a top club program. Go ahead and name 1 or 2 kids over the last 10 years who might be the exceptions, but parents who have a talented kid with aspirations of playing in college should be much smarter than to hope that little Mia is that one in a million exception.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X