Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honest question for G 2008

Daughter is good, not great. LOVES to play! She has been with the same team/coach for the last 3 years. She prefers playing defense and reads the field very well. Lately her coach has been playing the girls differently and seems to be rewarding speed over other abilities. Speed is not my daughter's strength and so hasn't been getting as much playing time. She has a healthy attitude about soccer and just wants to play as much as she can regardless of what level team she is on (currently on top team for her club in NEP). Any honest suggestions on which clubs have multiple teams for her age group that would give her a chance to play more? We are in the North Central corridor, near Nashua.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Daughter is good, not great. LOVES to play! She has been with the same team/coach for the last 3 years. She prefers playing defense and reads the field very well. Lately her coach has been playing the girls differently and seems to be rewarding speed over other abilities. Speed is not my daughter's strength and so hasn't been getting as much playing time. She has a healthy attitude about soccer and just wants to play as much as she can regardless of what level team she is on (currently on top team for her club in NEP). Any honest suggestions on which clubs have multiple teams for her age group that would give her a chance to play more? We are in the North Central corridor, near Nashua.
    Green lions

Comment

Green lions
      Oh dear god no. Any organization where you see coaches get red carded and physically removed from the sidelines anyone should run far, far away from.

Comment

I think you first need to figure out why she may not be playing as much. Is she a more technical player (you didn't say what her strengths are) who has moved to midfield? Midfielders are often subbed more than defenders. Or, did this coach previously keep the defenders in the entire game and is now subbing (found another player that he is rotating in)?

Is your child happy in the team (other than playing time)? Is the coach good (quality training sessions, giving the kids feedback that they understand, etc.)? Is your child developing and improving her skills?

If you switch clubs and she plays the entire game for a coach that doesn't teach her anything, will you be OK with that? That may not happen, but the grass isn't always greener... My advice (if your child loves the game and wants to continue to improve) is find the best coaching that you can. When looking at bigger clubs (with multiple teams per age group), you need to evaluate the group of coaches that are there--coaching assignments can change year to year.

Good luck....

Comment

G08 is still 9v9, so as a defender is she a centerback or is she an outside back, where speed and stamina is more important? CBs tend to not sub because they only run occasional sprints. Wide backs at U21 are expected to make repeated sprints, overlap and support offense and this can be very tiring, at least until you get to the spring season at U12 (when the field suddenly appears too small).

A solid, technical player can play midfield as a 6 or 8 in 9v9 without having tons of flat out speed. IMO, sprint speed is really only relevant for kids playing 7/11 or 9 and it should not be such a huge factor at that age, anyway.

Comment

Speed kills on the edge.Size, skill and vision rule the middle
            Tell your lil fatty to get physical

Comment

Speed kills on the edge.Size, skill and vision rule the middle
              Tell your lil fatty to get physical
              I know anonymous insults are the lifeblood of TS, but seriously, this is just idiotic. Beyond a certain point, speed is not something you can increase with better fitness. Just look at MLS.

Comment

Abbey Villa. Not a big club but they treat the kids well and are very technical focused. People will soon rant about how bad they are but that hasn't been our experience at all.

Comment

Thank you to those who provided me with some valuable insight. I was reminded that clubs with many teams in the same age group often don't provide consistent coaching for any team other than the elite. Her coach is good, I just can't understand why speed is suddenly such a top priority for him. My daughter is very technical, dishes the ball well, and is aggressive. She usually plays LB but will be moving to U13 in the fall so there should be some opportunity for her to play the 4 or 5 position.

We have friends on Abbey Villa out of Tyngsboro. They only have one team at her age group and there are something like 17 players on that team. She certainly wouldn't be getting more playing time going there.

I guess we will have to wait to see how the rest of the season plays out and go from there.

Comment

Thank you to those who provided me with some valuable insight. I was reminded that clubs with many teams in the same age group often don't provide consistent coaching for any team other than the elite. Her coach is good, I just can't understand why speed is suddenly such a top priority for him. My daughter is very technical, dishes the ball well, and is aggressive. She usually plays LB but will be moving to U13 in the fall so there should be some opportunity for her to play the 4 or 5 position.

We have friends on Abbey Villa out of Tyngsboro. They only have one team at her age group and there are something like 17 players on that team. She certainly wouldn't be getting more playing time going there.

I guess we will have to wait to see how the rest of the season plays out and go from there.
                    This is why soccer is backward in this country.
                    We finally teach some technical ability at the younger ages and as they get older, speed becomes more of a priority and it stays that way until they play old people ball...
                    Never shall the twain meet...

Comment

For kick and run yes not for my Ds team.

Comment

"We have friends on Abbey Villa out of Tyngsboro. They only have one team at her age group and there are something like 17 players on that team. She certainly wouldn't be getting more playing time going there."

That's not true...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X