Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm not the poster you're speaking to but just have to point out your obvious strawman argument. your comparison point is true of course, but reign DA being the most expensive soccer program doesn't mean it's the worst value.

the best value in girls soccer in WA is obviously XF ECNL. if you're good enough to get on that team it's free and you are pretty much guaranteed a D1 spot at the end. but is reign DA which immediately gets you national team looks and serious college interest a better value than say XF RCL3. of course it is. is it a better value than XF RCL1? maybe/probably. how about vs say SU ECNL or Eastside ECNL which aren't all that much cheaper? that's an interesting question without a clear answer but the fact that it can be debated means that Reign DA parents probably aren't overpaying by much if at all.
    Where are folks getting these numbers that ECNL is cheaper than Reign DA? We played ECNL for the last several years, and also Reign. It is not cheaper, not by a long shot. It's exactly the same price (unless you are in crossfire). Someone is feeding bogus numbers.

ECNL- $2800 club fee $4500 travel fee for games and three events. Then add on: Silverlakes or Surf $1000-$1500, Playoffs- $1000+, Additional ECNL event $1500. Add another tournament if you do more than one summer event, $1200

I added up our payments to club ECNL for the year, and it's actually more that what DA costs. ECNL seems cheaper at first...but it adds up over the year as events are added.

But Reign can be a better value (more practices, more events, more college looks). I'm not going to argue that it's better for everyone, because thats entirely dependent on the player and what they need. If your a Senior and a Junior and you want to be seen? then yes, DA fall events will be better to get a look from colleges, especially Seniors as schools are making final decisions Winter quarter. If you get committed early, is DA a better value? probably not.

Whats going to happen next year when each age group has a ENCL composite team? Will players leave their club to go to DA or another ECNL team instead of moving down?

ECNL is a good program, but its entirely dependent on your coach wanting to promote your player. If you're on the bench, or not the type of player your coach prefers...good luck getting them to help you. I've heard ECNL coaches tell players that they are in fact not the priority. Winning is. What else? D3 schools are deprioritized, because coaches want the cache of placing in D1 schools. This leads to them wanting to place you in a D1 in the midwest instead of MIT. (literally told this by a club director...I've also had ECNL coaches tell my daughter that Reign plays only in PSPL now, was kicked out of DA, It's running out of money etc etc. Sounds like those ECNL coaches are now on this forum with their trolling and lies.

College coaches don't care. DA, ECNL, A team, High School player. All they care is that you are a good player and you fit in their program. Each of those programs has a different ability to get your player seen by those coaches. The best choice is actually seeing where your kids want to go to school, and going with the coach/program that can get you the best visibility. What you don't want is a ECNL coach with no connections.

Comment

Where are folks getting these numbers that ECNL is cheaper than Reign DA? We played ECNL for the last several years, and also Reign. It is not cheaper, not by a long shot. It's exactly the same price (unless you are in crossfire). Someone is feeding bogus numbers.

ECNL- $2800 club fee $4500 travel fee for games and three events. Then add on: Silverlakes or Surf $1000-$1500, Playoffs- $1000+, Additional ECNL event $1500. Add another tournament if you do more than one summer event, $1200

I added up our payments to club ECNL for the year, and it's actually more that what DA costs. ECNL seems cheaper at first...but it adds up over the year as events are added.

But Reign can be a better value (more practices, more events, more college looks). I'm not going to argue that it's better for everyone, because thats entirely dependent on the player and what they need. If your a Senior and a Junior and you want to be seen? then yes, DA fall events will be better to get a look from colleges, especially Seniors as schools are making final decisions Winter quarter. If you get committed early, is DA a better value? probably not.

Whats going to happen next year when each age group has a ENCL composite team? Will players leave their club to go to DA or another ECNL team instead of moving down?

ECNL is a good program, but its entirely dependent on your coach wanting to promote your player. If you're on the bench, or not the type of player your coach prefers...good luck getting them to help you. I've heard ECNL coaches tell players that they are in fact not the priority. Winning is. What else? D3 schools are deprioritized, because coaches want the cache of placing in D1 schools. This leads to them wanting to place you in a D1 in the midwest instead of MIT. (literally told this by a club director...I've also had ECNL coaches tell my daughter that Reign plays only in PSPL now, was kicked out of DA, It's running out of money etc etc. Sounds like those ECNL coaches are now on this forum with their trolling and lies.

College coaches don't care. DA, ECNL, A team, High School player. All they care is that you are a good player and you fit in their program. Each of those programs has a different ability to get your player seen by those coaches. The best choice is actually seeing where your kids want to go to school, and going with the coach/program that can get you the best visibility. What you don't want is a ECNL coach with no connections.
      Very accurate post. FYI here is the Portland Thorns DA costs not including travel (taken from the thorns website, don't shoot the messenger) :

Page 1 of 2
      2019-2020 Portland Thorns Development Academy
      Updated: 4.16.2019
      PORTLAND THORNS DEVELOPMENT ACADEMY COST
      2019-2020 SEASON

May 2019 through June 2020 Fee Paid if Full Cost Payment Plan

Participation Fee $2,850 if paid in full by May 31 $2,950* if on payment plan DA Showcase Supplemental Fee *(see event list below)

$400 per player/per USDA Showcase that player is on the Travel

Roster for Potential - DA Approved Tournaments in addition to the designated DA Showcases

Cost will be divided by players participating Participation Fee Includes Training & League

• Training two times a week (June - July)
      • Training three times a week (August – June)
      • Strength, Conditioning, and Injury Prevention Program
      • Futsal training
      • Game film and video review sessions
      • Individual development plans
      • Development Academy League (September - June)
      • League travel fees (air, hotel, vans) (CA & UT)
      • FREE Thorns home game tickets for players
      • Watch 1st Team training Support Services
      • Providence Play Safe Injury Management enrollment
      • Professional video taping of all League and Showcase matches
      • TeamSnap Premium Access
      • Sports Psychology – Staying Mentally Tough
      • Sports Nutrition Planning
      • Social Media Training
      • College Resource and Preparation Program
      • Video analysis access via Hudl
      • Game day trainer
      • Player, coach, and team registration fees with governing associations;
      2019-2020 coaching salaries; field use and maintenance fees; field equipment; club
      overhead; league and referee fees
      ________________________________________Page 2 of 2
      2019-2020 Portland Thorns Development Academy
      Updated: 4.16.2019
      Development Academy Showcases
      • Winter Showcase: TBD – December 2019 - U15, U16, U17 and U19
      • Spring Showcase: TBD – April 2020 - U14, U15, U16 and U17
      • Summer Showcase: TBD – June 2020 - U14 – showcase; U15, U16, and U17 – playoffs or
      showcase; U19 – playoffs if they qualify
      • *DA Showcases– Supplemental Fee applies. Fee will be due 1 week prior to departure

What Costs are not included in the Thorns Academy Fee?
      • Player’s personal travel and incidental expenses (such as food, etc.)
      • Player’s and Coach’s travel expenses for additional DA Approved Events (such as Surf Cup)
      • Player’s 2019/2020 Nike Uniform Kit – kit is for the 2019/2020 and the 2020/2021 Seasons Fundraising
      Players will also have opportunities to work in the Thorns Summer Camp Program (16 and older) to help
      with expenses during the season. Payment plans will also be offered for all fees in the Thorns Academy
      Program.

Beyond Athletics We fully expect that all Academy players continue to excel on and off the field, which includes in school and in the community. Therefore, each player will be helped academically and
      administratively to achieve their goals and we will approach all of our young players in a way
      that nurtures them with regard to all aspects of development: academic, social, psychological
      and physiological. Our staff and administration will be showcasing each player with a mind to get
      them into the college soccer program that they desire to get into. To achieve this, the academy
      will provide players with:

• A professional training environment and access to professional team
      • Higher level of competition for experience
      • College advising from staff and first team members
      • Working opportunities with the Timbers and Thorns Camp program
      • Opportunities to view Thorns training and games…seeing as much professional soccer
      as possible
      • FREE Thorns Home Game Tickets for players
      • Families can purchase discounted Thorns Home Game tickets in the same area
      • Thorns Home Game Ball Girls
      Payments Upon acceptance of an offered spot on a Portland Thorns Academy team the following is required:
      • Payment in full by May 31 will be discounted $100
      • Players not paying in full by May 31 – are required to make a payment of $550 payment by May 31 and sign a Promissory Note upon acceptance of a spot on a Portland Thorns Academy team.
      • Supplemental Showcase Fee is due – 1 week prior to departure for the Showcase

Comment

My DD played ECNL for 4 years and the travel fees you have stated are extremely high based on our experience. Maybe this varies from club to club on how travel is handled but I would say your travel estimates are close to double what we saw. The club and teams did a great job of negotiating group airfare, rooming 4 kids to a room and using chaperones, and keeping meals inexpensive while on the road. We only saw two events in 4 years that cost our player over $1,000 and they were longer trips (distance and time) with extended stays. Most events/tournaments were well below $1,000 level. We also got ECNL rebate back every year which at its highest was about $1,700. Anyway, not disputing your numbers and what you paid but drastically different than what we saw. As you stated, there is no right or wrong choice, just what works for what the players ultimate end goal is. I feel like ECNL was and still is a great vehicle for college soccer but DA likely is too. My biggest issue with DA is the no high school play. It takes away what should be some of the kids best and most enjoyable soccer experience. Playing for your school, playing with longtime good friends, playing in front of a big crowd. These DA players are missing that. Why, so they can be in the supposed pipeline to the National Team Pool. That's not a reality for 99% of them and if you are the top 1%, the national team will find you either way. DA, ECNL, RCL, PSPL. If your that good, they will find you.

Comment

Well this aged poorly ….

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X