Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why club tuition has to be paid for one whole year? (Parents only)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why club tuition has to be paid for one whole year? (Parents only)

Why parents have to pay soccer club fee for one whole year? Even college doesn’t do that!

The stated reason:

They need to hire staff and make commitments on facilities for the whole year. Your kid is taking up a spot that could be filled by others- UNLESS you leave after the first month and all the other kids are on other teams.

The bonus reason:

Because they can

Comment

Colleges will hold your transcripts back for overdue library fees. Not sure that's the example you are really looking for here.

But on soccer clubs- most (all?) clubs will let you pay in installments if that is the issue. But you are committing to pay the whole thing. If you don't pay then your kid won't be allowed to pay on another club for that same year (maybe just NEP teams). I suppose they could put a lien on you as well.

Comment

Imagine a club doc holding a player card hostage all year? I have heard of it but its a pretty crazy move.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Colleges will hold your transcripts back for overdue library fees. Not sure that's the example you are really looking for here.

But on soccer clubs- most (all?) clubs will let you pay in installments if that is the issue. But you are committing to pay the whole thing. If you don't pay then your kid won't be allowed to pay on another club for that same year (maybe just NEP teams). I suppose they could put a lien on you as well.
          They all do as far as I know. They might offer you a slight discount if you pay in full, but there is almost always some kid of staged payment plan. Usually there's a good deposit, a chunk due around the start of the season and the rest by the holidays for the spring season.

If a club is a disaster for your kid it doesn't hurt to ask for a partial refund. Worse they can do is say no, and some will surprise you

Comment

They all do as far as I know. They might offer you a slight discount if you pay in full, but there is almost always some kid of staged payment plan. Usually there's a good deposit, a chunk due around the start of the season and the rest by the holidays for the spring season.

If a club is a disaster for your kid it doesn't hurt to ask for a partial refund. Worse they can do is say no, and some will surprise you
            Any club that wants it all up front is a club you should stay away from. Decent clubs will let you pay over the year

Comment

Imagine a club doc holding a player card hostage all year? I have heard of it but its a pretty crazy move.
              You've entered into a financial commitment to pay the whole thing and they are serious about getting the money!

Anyone ever get money back out of a club as a refund? Even for injury? I expect the best you could hope for is a credit to future seasons.

Comment

You've entered into a financial commitment to pay the whole thing and they are serious about getting the money!

Anyone ever get money back out of a club as a refund? Even for injury? I expect the best you could hope for is a credit to future seasons.
                Yes I have once for an injury (happened late fall and the player couldn't return until at best May, if it all went well) and once because it was clear very early on my kid shouldn't have been on that team. Two different clubs. Like someone said, ask. I didn't go into the office all riled up, just sat down and had a rational conversation with them.

Comment

They have to give the player card up in 10 days once a parent has requested the release.

Comment

Why parents have to pay soccer club fee for one whole year? Even college doesn’t do that!
                    You don't have to pay anything. Your choice to join or not. But can't blame the clubs for asking, the masses will follow their demands. But seriously, any club that demands full payment up front is not managed well, or looking to reduce service or even fold later in the year. They don't have to pay up front for everything. Their league fees are season to season, the field rental space is month to month. Coaches get paid per pay period. At any time, they can cut costs if their enrollment drops.

Comment

Most (if not all) club require 1 year commitment, whether you pay an installment, then later some monthly, the parents are responsible for a whole year fee. There is almost no such choice for switching club in the middle of season, unless you give up $2k. And in some case, half year in a falling club is enough... The whole system is pure $$$ business, based on market. Only when there are more choice for parents in the market, the competition will bring a necessary change. This day won't be far away!!!

Comment

Most (if not all) club require 1 year commitment, whether you pay an installment, then later some monthly, the parents are responsible for a whole year fee. There is almost no such choice for switching club in the middle of season, unless you give up $2k. And in some case, half year in a falling club is enough... The whole system is pure $$$ business, based on market. Only when there are more choice for parents in the market, the competition will bring a necessary change. This day won't be far away!!!
                        What are you talking about with respect to competition for club soccer?Academies?

Comment

Clubs are businesses. Is anyone on TS confused by this?
                          No? Ok, lets move on

Comment

Yes you sign a contract for a year but you can still walk away if it turns out to be a disaster for your kid (you'll know by the end of fall if it's right or not and you probably have about 1/3 left to pay). Now, are there consequences for walking away? Maybe. A club could go after you for the rest of the contract, but they almost never do. It's not good PR if word gets out. It would take forever and not worth their time, plus the intentionally vague language of contracts may or may not work for them in court. Can they hold a player card? Yes but leagues usually have an appeals process to get moved. If you're moving to a different league then it doesn't matter.

If you're considering making such a move don't do it rashly. It should be a really bad situation. It's a small community and regular club hoppers develop a reputation. Why are you moving? Is it really a bad fit for your kid? Have you talked with coach? Talked to the club about being let out? Is your kid putting in the effort? Is the coach just crap and the club not doing anything about it?

Never pay it all up front. If the club insists that's a huge red flag. Tell the club you have financial issues and need to pay installments. Clubs that have been around operate above board but there's always upstarts and clubs that are struggling that will take a check from anyone, fit be dammed.

Comment

Sometimes it happens. But not usually if you just quit. If you quit to join another club (where league rules allow that) sometimes the new club gives you a break knowing you're paying the old club and hoping you'll sign on for the full year next time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X