2021 recruits and even 2022 face more challenges

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our kid is at a D1. They were told that anyone who stays to play their extra year has to have their scholarship honored by the school. Most of the seniors decided to stay. And yes, by them staying, they have less money for the incoming freshman class.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Our kid is at a D1. They were told that anyone who stays to play their extra year has to have their scholarship honored by the school. Most of the seniors decided to stay. And yes, by them staying, they have less money for the incoming freshman class.
      That may be the case at your kids D1 school.

However the D1 college that my daughter just signed with is not doing that. The coach specifically said that ALL the seniors on the team this year are NOT getting athletic scholarships renewed. This coach did not recruit that senior class and wants the players she recruited to play for her. A lot of the current players don’t fit the system he plays and/or are not the type of players he would have recruited.

Comment

That may be the case at your kids D1 school.

However the D1 college that my daughter just signed with is not doing that. The coach specifically said that ALL the seniors on the team this year are NOT getting athletic scholarships renewed. This coach did not recruit that senior class and wants the players she recruited to play for her. A lot of the current players don’t fit the system he plays and/or are not the type of players he would have recruited.
        This type of thing was happening pre-COVID and the granted 5th season. The quality programs offer an “agreement” between the school and family the supersedes a coaching change. The state schools don’t usually offer this and if there is a coaching change, what you described happens.

Comment

This type of thing was happening pre-COVID and the granted 5th season. The quality programs offer an “agreement” between the school and family the supersedes a coaching change. The state schools don’t usually offer this and if there is a coaching change, what you described happens.
          Lololol...shots fired.

“Quality programs” vs. state schools....

Oh, my.

Comment

Lololol...shots fired.

Oh, my.
            Virginia, FSU, UNC, UCLA, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Penn State, South Carolina....have entered the chat.

Comment

Virginia, FSU, UNC, UCLA, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Penn State, South Carolina....have entered the chat.
              All good, do those state schools offer the “agreement” or is it an agreement between coach and family (as long as the coach is employed there). The higher level schools enter into agreement between the school and the family, regardless of coaching change.

Comment

All good, do those state schools offer the “agreement” or is it an agreement between coach and family (as long as the coach is employed there). The higher level schools enter into agreement between the school and the family, regardless of coaching change.
                I don’t know....would they meet your definition of a “quality program?” Lolol

Comment

Lololol...shots fired.

Oh, my.
                  Lol.......I noticed that “quality programs “ backhanded compliment too.

Makes me think a TBU parent must have entered the discussion. Lolol

Comment

The Power 5 conferences guarantee all 4 years. Others do not. It's a year to year deal however as Iong as you're delivering you will be fine. New coaches won't necessarily cut players but will make it clear you're not going to play so you can decide to quit or transfer

Comment

Spot on!

That's why (1) you better commit to a school that you would attend regardless of soccer and (2) you better get all the academic scholarships and grants you can from the college in addition to the athletic money.
                      Absolutely. Soccer might go away for many reasons so the school should always come first. You're not going pro so get a good education and plan for your future. Academic scholarships stick all 4 years as long as you keep up your GPA. Keep up your HS grades and prepare for the SAT. In many cases you can get more academic $ than athletic.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                        the power 5 conferences guarantee all 4 years. Others do not. It's a year to year deal however as iong as you're delivering you will be fine. New coaches won't necessarily cut players but will make it clear you're not going to play so you can decide to quit or transfer
                        false false false

Comment

Absolutely. Soccer might go away for many reasons so the school should always come first. You're not going pro so get a good education and plan for your future. Academic scholarships stick all 4 years as long as you keep up your GPA. Keep up your HS grades and prepare for the SAT. In many cases you can get more academic $ than athletic.
                          True 100% FACTS!

The academic scholarships my child received from their college is 2-3 times more than the athletic scholarship.

Comment

Lol.......I noticed that “quality programs “ backhanded compliment too.

Makes me think a TBU parent must have entered the discussion. Lolol
                            I do think TBU parents are more selective. Not a knock on them, they just are.

Comment

I do think TBU parents are more selective. Not a knock on them, they just are.
                              Like “don’t hate me because I’m beautiful”?

Comment

Big 10 is the only conference that guarantees 4 years by the way. Second academic money you better hope your kid can keep the gpa where it’s needed be every semester otherwise you as a parent will be responsible. Plenty of college kids love to have fun once they leave their house.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X