Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Club recs?

We’re moving to the area (Acton, Concord... ish. Maybe a bit more south. Exact location TBD) in May from Atlanta. I never truly learned the soccer landscape here bc we landed at a great club in our backyard, and my son plays all around the city due to a great pick-up culture. Looking for clubs for U11. Competitive, diverse, we’ll travel. My son is intense and is terrified he’ll be placed on a lower level team being new. Try outs just aren’t impt - are they in MA? Thanks!

Originally posted by Soccer40444 View Post
    We’re moving to the area (Acton, Concord... ish. Maybe a bit more south. Exact location TBD) in May from Atlanta. I never truly learned the soccer landscape here bc we landed at a great club in our backyard, and my son plays all around the city due to a great pick-up culture. Looking for clubs for U11. Competitive, diverse, we’ll travel. My son is intense and is terrified he’ll be placed on a lower level team being new. Try outs just aren’t impt - are they in MA? Thanks!
    In all honesty this is an awful place to come for advice. Everyone seems to have an agenda or a grudge. If not that, they are a club owner/coach looking to sell you the goods.

I’m kind of far from that area to recommend my kids club, but even if I did I would instantly be **** on by some troll with nothing better to do.

Good luck to you and you son. My best advice would be to tryout at a couple clubs to get a feel. Just like with anything in life, tryouts are political but if he’s that good he will make his way up the ladder even if not starting on a top team.

Comment

In majority of cases the teams are already determined before tryouts. That would includes players transitioning from other clubs who likely already contacted their new clubs.

Pick a club and team based on coaching and development. Try to get your son to a couple of practices in advance of tryouts to observe coaching as well as where your player might fit.

Good luck with your move.

Comment

Make a list of what is important to you. Start calling clubs and talk to their top people (yes, more than one). Listen carefully and weed the clubs down based on what is important to you. Come up Memorial Day weekend and troll all the tourneys of the clubs/teams you may think are a fit.

Comment

DO NOT go to south shore select $4500 year to start. Most expensive club in the state and they dont even play in a competitive league. Stay away!!

Comment

Originally posted by Soccer40444 View Post
            Now you can try to find a club for spring season only. During this half season do your home works by going to games, practices multiple times. The more you observe the more information you will get. Around April each club will be crazy for tryouts, that is your real chance. But good team barely has any opening spot, even U11/12. Find a good coach, not club is my way. Good luck!

Comment

Wow, I am surprised this does not start a war here.

Comment

Find a club with an established pathway. Stay away from the Revs.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                  Find a club with an established pathway. Stay away from the Revs.
                  Sorry your kid got cut. (REVS do not have a U11 squad)

But on a serious note, Valeo in Newton has its own indoor facility so they train year round. FC stars in Lancaster and NEFC in Mendon have wonderful outdoor facilities. Good Luck.

Comment

OP here. Thanks all. We aren’t moving until May so can’t really observe - tho we’ll come out for tryouts. Will any clubs/coaches be willing to watch my kid play before then? We’d come out for that. It’s really a mental health issue for him - it’s his passion, outlet, all the things, and part of the “we’re ripping you away from all you know” deal is finding a good club. Here for under U12 you don’t get coaching assignments until after tryouts so it’s really a matter of finding a good club rather than coach. Help to have his current coaches (that we love) call clubs? Hate to play politics but hey.

Comment

OP here. Thanks all. We aren’t moving until May so can’t really observe - tho we’ll come out for tryouts. Will any clubs/coaches be willing to watch my kid play before then? We’d come out for that. It’s really a mental health issue for him - it’s his passion, outlet, all the things, and part of the “we’re ripping you away from all you know” deal is finding a good club. Here for under U12 you don’t get coaching assignments until after tryouts so it’s really a matter of finding a good club rather than coach. Help to have his current coaches (that we love) call clubs? Hate to play politics but hey.
                      If his current club is truly a top tier program and if he is a good enough player, his coach will know exactly who to connect you with in the Boston area. if his current club-coach doesn't know, then that tells you his current club is rubbish and he'll be better off playing with local club to meet local kids. If his passion has him wanting more by u13 or u14, it will be clear what works best for him and you then. Welcome to Boston (although I suspect you are troll that already lives here

Comment

Not sure that a phone call from his current coach does anything for him. Teams want to see everyone in person. There isn’t much of a soccer pipeline between Massachusetts and Georgia.

If you are here in May most club teams will still be practicing and playing as the majority of the clubs will play in a Memorial Day tournament. You will learn a lot by watching practices and games of a couple of clubs. Don’t worry about which team your son get placed on as there will be plenty of opportunities to be seen in the next few years.

I recommend That you also have your son tryout for your town’s local travel team. That way he will another opportunity to play with local kids.

Comment

OP appears to be trolling...who could have predicted that on TS?

Comment

You may also want to look into signing up for the town team. Lots of kids do both club and town, the schedules usually work out. More soccer and a way to meet local kids.

Comment

Not sure that a phone call from his current coach does anything for him. Teams want to see everyone in person. There isn’t much of a soccer pipeline between Massachusetts and Georgia.

If you are here in May most club teams will still be practicing and playing as the majority of the clubs will play in a Memorial Day tournament. You will learn a lot by watching practices and games of a couple of clubs. Don’t worry about which team your son get placed on as there will be plenty of opportunities to be seen in the next few years.

I recommend That you also have your son tryout for your town’s local travel team. That way he will another opportunity to play with local kids.
                              Hi y’all,
                              I’m from Georgia and wandered on here by mistake...saw “football, and well, y’all know the rest.”
                              We don’t play no sissy soccer down here...never even knew they called it football.
                              And a pitch is something you get on Sunday from them durn preachers.

And By Gawd, Lawdy, Lawdy, I do believe you’re getting trolled.
                              But what’s a redneck from Okenefokee swamps know?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X