Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    They are not. But if your game is to use soccer to assist with access MIT, you have to bring the soccer. There is not a spot for everyone at MIT. If you want the recruited athlete to design your car's safety systems over the recruited engineering geek...be my guest.
    fwiw, MIT coaches have almost zero influence with admissions.

Comment

ECNL players that presumably had resources to travel around to play youth soccer.
      The point was: people complain about families paying to get access to soccer opportunities, but I don’t see any of you complaining about the families spending to get education opportunities (at MIT) (by paying for tutoring).

No one was talking about soccer players at MIT. But if you ARE playing soccer at MIT, you are welcome to engineer my car because you are far smarter than I.

Also let’s stop calling these kids ‘geeks’ in a derogatory way. They will be the ones which change/improve the world. Not our soccer ‘jocks’

Comment

The point was: people complain about families paying to get access to soccer opportunities, but I don’t see any of you complaining about the families spending to get education opportunities (at MIT) (by paying for tutoring).

No one was talking about soccer players at MIT. But if you ARE playing soccer at MIT, you are welcome to engineer my car because you are far smarter than I.

Also let’s stop calling these kids ‘geeks’ in a derogatory way. They will be the ones which change/improve the world. Not our soccer ‘jocks’
        Tutoring is far less expensive than soccer

Comment

Paying for tutoring (arguably) improves the kids at what they are going to MIT for. Soccer is probably not what these kids are going to MIT for.

Comment

The vast majority of parents care about their kids. They want the best for them in all facets of life. I don’t know any that say “what is the minimum I can give my kids?” Otherwise, parents would throw rags on their kids, feed them table scraps, and give them an old dog bed to sleep on. I know a single mother on public assistance who asked me about town soccer because she wants her kid to have something to do and interaction with others. There’s all sorts of reasons kids start soccer and if they love it and are good enough then they can go on to ECNL or some other league and maybe even college. But please stop making it sound like everyone who cares about their kid and spends money on them is trying to manipulate the system. If anything, it’s the system trying to manipulate families.

Comment

Paying for tutoring (arguably) improves the kids at what they are going to MIT for. Soccer is probably not what these kids are going to MIT for.
              of course most families wealthy enough to pay for attending ENCL R national showcases also can and do supplement tutoring, SAT prep, etc. (see how i brought it back on topic!)

Comment

But to an under-privileged family paying for an SAT tutor, and a college essay coach is far LESS accessible than youth sports (we need to stop calling out soccer).

Comment

But to an under-privileged family paying for an SAT tutor, and a college essay coach is far LESS accessible than youth sports (we need to stop calling out soccer).
                  Absolutely - they get like $200/hour! Higher ed consultants charge by the thousands.

Also it isn't just test or application help - I know loads of families in my affluent town (we are not, our home is practically a hovel but we live here for the schools) that get their kids tutors in practically every subject, not just ones they might be struggling with. If you need to have your kid tutored through AP whatever maybe they shouldn't be in the class? Will they need tutoring all through college too?

Comment

Absolutely - they get like $200/hour! Higher ed consultants charge by the thousands.

Also it isn't just test or application help - I know loads of families in my affluent town (we are not, our home is practically a hovel but we live here for the schools) that get their kids tutors in practically every subject, not just ones they might be struggling with. If you need to have your kid tutored through AP whatever maybe they shouldn't be in the class? Will they need tutoring all through college too?
                    Here lies the problem. The answer is yes... those with the financial resources will ensure their children “excel”, regardless of those children’s intrinsic abilities, motivation, drive, etc. It’s a facade, but the parents are playing the “fake it until you make it” game and then applauding their kids achievements as if it was pure talent.

#Fakenews #Fakekids

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X