Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Injuries keep the scholarship money till you graduate. Not a chance that you have it in writing that you’re guaranteed 4 years athletic money unless you play in big 10. Somebody lied to you.
    Does anyone read? Someone posted above it isn't just Big 10 that guarantee all 4 years but the power 5 conferences. Other schools in other conferences can do it as well but don't have to.

One thing that can happen is a coach makes your life so miserable you quit. Then the money can disappear

Comment

Does anyone read? Someone posted above it isn't just Big 10 that guarantee all 4 years but the power 5 conferences. Other schools in other conferences can do it as well but don't have to.

One thing that can happen is a coach makes your life so miserable you quit. Then the money can disappear
      I know right. Just re-read about 10 posts ago and it clearly states all the Power 5 conferences and Notre Dame do exactly what Rain Man claims is only done in the Big 10. I am the original poster that said the University President's name was on the letterhead of the agreement and it was signed by him.

No, I'm not saying the President knows me or my kid but the point I was making is that I'm not basing this on some cryptic e-mail from a Soccer Head Coach. We have a 10-page contract signed by all the parties involved that lays out all the terms and conditions of the "agreement" that ensures that we will receive 4 years of funding (and it even escalates the dollar amount as it is indexed to the Total Cost of Attendance (TCOA) as published by the University each year - which always increases each year).

Fine with me if Rain Man says that only happens in the Big Ten but it is simply not true.

Comment

I know right. Just re-read about 10 posts ago and it clearly states all the Power 5 conferences and Notre Dame do exactly what Rain Man claims is only done in the Big 10. I am the original poster that said the University President's name was on the letterhead of the agreement and it was signed by him.

No, I'm not saying the President knows me or my kid but the point I was making is that I'm not basing this on some cryptic e-mail from a Soccer Head Coach. We have a 10-page contract signed by all the parties involved that lays out all the terms and conditions of the "agreement" that ensures that we will receive 4 years of funding (and it even escalates the dollar amount as it is indexed to the Total Cost of Attendance (TCOA) as published by the University each year - which always increases each year).

Fine with me if Rain Man says that only happens in the Big Ten but it is simply not true.
        I believe you.

Is this something that was discussed / negotiated during recruiting or came to fruition when it came time to sign LOI?

My ..... had several “offers” and ultimately committed to the best school / best offer, but honestly we never discussed this kind of contract. I feel a little foolish now. Power 5 school And program has a great reputation. I’ve seen very few transfers or attrition within the program....despite players perhaps under performing their expectations as recruits coming into school. Still....I’m not one that likes to be leave something like that to chance.

Thanks for any info.

Comment

When deals start getting into the nitty gritty this is when parents need to step in. Kids don't know the hard questions to ask, and they're so excited too.

Comment

When deals start getting into the nitty gritty this is when parents need to step in. Kids don't know the hard questions to ask, and they're so excited too.
            Agreed. As the discussions advance make sure the Coach gets the financial aid office involved. We have heard some families committing on verbal and email exchanges with the coach only. Some coaches will say "I can't put it in writing because of NCAA deadlines but I can explain the offer on the phone." That's fine early on but at some point make the coach include the financial aid office - most/all athletic programs have a designated person/people
            in the financial aid office that will explain the ins and outs of the offers in writing. If you ask to be connected to that person and the coach is reluctant that tells you something.

Comment

Agreed. As the discussions advance make sure the Coach gets the financial aid office involved. We have heard some families committing on verbal and email exchanges with the coach only. Some coaches will say "I can't put it in writing because of NCAA deadlines but I can explain the offer on the phone." That's fine early on but at some point make the coach include the financial aid office - most/all athletic programs have a designated person/people
              in the financial aid office that will explain the ins and outs of the offers in writing. If you ask to be connected to that person and the coach is reluctant that tells you something.
              Good info.

However please remember that this is not always the case for every school that might offer your child a scholarship. Especially D3 schools. They do not offer athletic scholarships.

Your club’s DOC or recruiting coordinator should be assisting you throughout this entire process. I mean……it’s their job and that why you pay your fees.

Comment

Good info.

However please remember that this is not always the case for every school that might offer your child a scholarship. Especially D3 schools. They do not offer athletic scholarships.

Your club’s DOC or recruiting coordinator should be assisting you throughout this entire process. I mean……it’s their job and that why you pay your fees.
                Agreed on the D3s. Some/many schools (especially on Soccer) will try to assemble a "package" that may include various forms of aid ranging from athletic, merit, grants, etc. IT is even more imperative to get the financial aid office involved because some of these forms of aid may cancel each other out or offset each other. The coach usually not an expert in this aspect but one coach surprised us with how good she was with this because she was trying to "maximize" her athletic aid and spread it around by tapping into other sources.

Comment

Good info.

"Your club’s DOC or recruiting coordinator should be assisting you.."

Totally agree but that assumes:

1) They speak English well enough to discuss your kid in honest terms,
                  2) They actually recognize this is part of their job and are willing to help,
                  3) They actually understand the basics of the U.S. university system,
                  4) They actually know the differences between schools (State, Ivy, Military branches),
                  5) They have actually gotten to know your kid as a person (soccer, academics, work ethic, etc.).

Few clubs really support at this level but the ones that do help a lot of kids advance - even kids that aren't at their club in some cases.

Comment

Hard to believe

The NCAA only allows each team 14 full scholarships. It is impossible for any school to simply "honor" athletic scholarship money. They can only do it within the boundries of their 14 full scholarship "budget".

Originally posted by Unregistered;2927 378
                    Our kid is at a D1. They were told that anyone who stays to play their extra year has to have their scholarship honored by the school. Most of the seniors decided to stay. And yes, by them staying, they have less money for the incoming freshman class.

Comment

Depends on the school

My daughters school is honoring all scholarships for the entire 4 years. There are multiple players that have large scholarships from the prior coach and never play. Many of those are also "opting out" citing Covid in order to avoid the grueling schedule. I know several other schools that are simply cutting scholarship money.

The President of the university lied to me? That's who's name is on the letterhead.

Comment

The NCAA only allows each team 14 full scholarships. It is impossible for any school to simply "honor" athletic scholarship money. They can only do it within the boundries of their 14 full scholarship "budget".
                        As seniors graduate it opens up their scholarship money to be put back into the pot to give more money to existing players or incoming freshman. Seniors can stay and play a fifth year due to Covid but if they have used four years of scholarship money they may not be given scholarship their 5th year of play. It is harder for new freshman players to get recruited each year when all current players have been granted an extra year to continue playing due to Covid-19.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X