Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLS, US Youth Soccer announcement

Major League Soccer and US Youth Soccer, the largest youth sports organization in the country, announced the creation of a groundbreaking strategic partnership aimed at supporting and engaging individual soccer players and communities throughout the United States.

The news comes amid an ongoing transformation of the youth soccer landscape in the United States, which has also seen the creation of an elite youth development platform featuring 95 of the top academy clubs in North America.

MLS and US Youth Soccer, with its more than 3 million boys and girls soccer players, will collaborate on:

enhancements in player identification and monitoring
    coaching and scouting education for parents, coaches and volunteers
    regional competitions
    fan engagement
    The partnership will clear a pathway for boys and girls to be seen and scouted, regardless of location or financial resources with MLS absorbing all expenses for players attending and participating in the regional competitions at select age levels.

“We are very proud that USYS and its 55 member state associations have decided to make MLS their league of choice,” said Gordon Bengtson, MLS senior director of player development. "The state associations are crucial partners in creating more meaningful connections to the professional levels while supporting the overall growth of the game. This is particularly important in communities that have not historically had access to elite development environments or professional pathways. This is a first step towards our goal of making the size and diversity of our country, our biggest strength."

Regional Competition
    The partnership calls for a new regional competition platform to provide talented young boys and girls players with the opportunity to participate in competitions in front of professional club scouts.

Players who excel in high school programs, on club teams, or in local soccer leagues throughout the country will be recommended for this regional competition platform through a process that empowers the technical leaders at the local and state levels.

MLS will be collaborating with the technical leadership of all 55 state associations and the USYS national office to develop best practices for talent identification in each region.

“This is not a short-term vision, but rather one in which we realize the opportunity to truly connect the whole system of soccer in our country," said US Youth Soccer CEO Skip Gilbert in a statement. "For too long the professional and youth systems have been working relatively independent of each other and with this MLS partnership, we start down the path of true collaboration. This will not only expand resources to grow the game at the grassroots level, but also reveal to players and families that there is a clear pathway to any level of soccer they want to achieve."

Eliminating Financial Barriers
    As part of the commitment to enable access and remove barriers for talented players to reach their highest potential, MLS will absorb all expenses for players attending and participating in the regional competitions at select age levels.

Eliminating financial barriers for young players is expected to ensure talented players can be seen and scouted during their formative years.

“Our goal is to ensure that every player throughout the country has the ability to reach his or her highest potential,” said Fred Lipka, MLS technical director of player development. “There are so many young soccer players in this country that do not have the ability to access elite travel soccer programs that offer greater opportunities for talent identification. We want to ensure that every player has a clear pathway to achieve their dream of playing at the collegiate or professional level, regardless of location or financial resources.”

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/05/15/major-league-soccer-us-youth-soccer-announce-groundbreaking-strategic-partnership

I really like this announcement. It sounds like it could be an ODP re-brand offered free to players. If so, that would be an amazing step in opening up a true pathway!

Comment

Pay to play didn't work, so let's try something else subsidized by MLS.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Hmmm - my son has been with Seacoast now for 4 years. Started off on the NPL team and worked his way through to the academy. Last year I went out to San Diego to the DA summer showcase and not only watched seacoast play, but many of the top level MLS and amateur academies. It was fantastic soccer. The top MLS v top MLS at the 17 and 19 levels was stunningly good and thoroughly entertaining.

For what I pay and have paid at seacoast - fees, travel expenses, everything each year - it’s worth every penny. Every penny. Where we are - we have the best coaching and the best level of play available in this region. Being able to play against a Montreal impact or NYC fc team makes each player better. It has improved my child exponentially.

I assume if you are so against the DA you have seen games and/or been a part of it?

Once things get going - if you have the chance - go and watch aN academy u15 game or catch an academy u19 or u17 game. You will want your kid to be a part of that I assure you.

Comment

Hmmm - my son has been with Seacoast now for 4 years. Started off on the NPL team and worked his way through to the academy. Last year I went out to San Diego to the DA summer showcase and not only watched seacoast play, but many of the top level MLS and amateur academies. It was fantastic soccer. The top MLS v top MLS at the 17 and 19 levels was stunningly good and thoroughly entertaining.

For what I pay and have paid at seacoast - fees, travel expenses, everything each year - it’s worth every penny. Every penny. Where we are - we have the best coaching and the best level of play available in this region. Being able to play against a Montreal impact or NYC fc team makes each player better. It has improved my child exponentially.

I assume if you are so against the DA you have seen games and/or been a part of it?

Once things get going - if you have the chance - go and watch aN academy u15 game or catch an academy u19 or u17 game. You will want your kid to be a part of that I assure you.
          ----
          Thanks Ian Burgess for a review of your own product. Everyone knows Seacoast is literally the worst DA program on the east coast and has produced the fewest college players in DA history. I would bet that the combined record for Seacoast DA teams is around 20-150 over the last 3 years.

Comment

----
            Thanks Ian Burgess for a review of your own product. Everyone knows Seacoast is literally the worst DA program on the east coast and has produced the fewest college players in DA history. I would bet that the combined record for Seacoast DA teams is around 20-150 over the last 3 years.

Do you have a link that shows the commits? I would be curious to see that and you seem to have some intimate knowledge of it.

Comment

Do you have a link that shows the commits? I would be curious to see that and you seem to have some intimate knowledge of it.
              Not Ian Burgess - only know who he is. He wouldn’t know who I am (he would know my son though). “Everybody knows seacoast is the worst DA” - you are showing your ignorance here. Well what do use as a yardstick for that blanket statement? What’s a good DA program to you. I hope you respond to that . Actual fact they aren’t the worst DA program. Not even close. I can name many we’ve played who are worse.

“Look at the college commits.” There are plenty current D1 college commits at seacoast. What would please you for a specific college commit that might change your mind about Seacoast that other DA are accomplishing? Let me ask you - did you have any experience playing college sports? Why is that so important to you as a yardstick to access seacoast anyway? Would a D3 commit be less to you than a low end D1 commit ? Just curious. Hint - I played in college and my daughter (not soccer ) does as well. Love to hear from you that.

Evidently I have a different take on what Seacoast’s and ANY club (any sport) is there to do than you. I am interested in having my son developed to his maximum potential. And certainly that means playing in college. But every year being exposed to top level competition with excellent coaching can’t be underestimated (of course you will not agree with that - let’s chat further about that too). Playing against Montreal impact and the Revs as well as NYCFC and non-professional academies with fantastic top level players like cedar stars Bergen and other teams we played in San Diego last spring. All help to improve players in the DA exponentially. I know my son has improved dramatically with this and the other opportunities made available to him by seacoast DA.

I’m guessing you haven’t seen a u17 DA game? Burgess’s kid is a fantastic player. He’s done something right there as well as with the club I say.

I look forward to a healthy dialogue with you on this.

Comment

Me thinks you replied to the wrong post. I asked if the person who didn't seem to hold the program in high regard and mentioned several things about it. So, I was curious where he got the information from. My suspicion was that he was just negative and threw a bunch of stuff against the board because, well, the internet.

Otherwise, I made no comment about Seacoast.

Comment

And just another way to tap into the wallet of mom and dad with the latest "shiny new toy". It will be the same old toy just in a new package and a new paint job.

A great philosopher once said "Look kids! Big Ben - Parliament"!

Comment

And just another way to tap into the wallet of mom and dad with the latest "shiny new toy". It will be the same old toy just in a new package and a new paint job.

A great philosopher once said "Look kids! Big Ben - Parliament"!
                    Hard to believe, but some see quality where others don't. Or won't. Or can't.

Comment

Newsflash... unless you are on an MLS DA team, DA is pay to play. Always has been and it will continue to be.

Comment

MLS, US Youth Soccer announcement

Newsflash... unless you are on an MLS DA team, DA is pay to play. Always has been and it will continue to be.
                        this new league is just simply DA part 2. different brand, different packaging, same product, same sh-t.

Comment

this new league is just simply DA part 2. different brand, different packaging, same product, same quality
                          Indeed

Comment

My son has been playing for Seacoast Academy for several years and will be continuing with the MLS-led league. Yes, you have to pay to play. But you also have to pay to play for any other club that I know of (besides MLS ones). And my son, who has just finished his sophomore year, is drawing interest by several good Division I programs. So for us, it has been worth it.

Comment

My son has been playing for Seacoast Academy for several years and will be continuing with the MLS-led league. Yes, you have to pay to play. But you also have to pay to play for any other club that I know of (besides MLS ones). And my son, who has just finished his sophomore year, is drawing interest by several good Division I programs. So for us, it has been worth it.
                              Im sure he is dad!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X